Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hvc  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2022 10:41:10(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Hi all,

I'm a long-time Märklin H0 campaigner, but new to Spur 1, and am about to order my first Spur 1 Märklin/Hübner track. I have a couple of specific questions, but would also be appreciative of any tips, tricks and pitfalls to avoid...

I'm planning a trial shelf layout, on a 60cm wide shelf. Here's the critical part of the plan:

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 8.10.34 pm.jpg

and yes, I've broken the rules and done something that doesn't work, highlighted in green (more on that later).

I'm planning to just have manual switches to start with.

And so my questions are:
1) do the 59087/59088 turnouts come with manual switch levers? Or do I need to separately order 59097/59098 switch levers?
2) same question for the double-slips - do I need to separately order 59097/59098 switch levers, and if so which ones?
3) will the manual switch levers fit in between my reduced clearance tracks? The space between the close tracks is a little over 4cm according to my track planning software, but not sure how accurate that is.

And so back to the green sections on the plan. In order to reduce the track spacing, I am planning to combine the two frog transition pieces 59092, which as designed should look like the example highlighted in orange on the plan above. Instead I'm planning to hack two of these pieces together to make the green sections above. Has anyone done this before?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Herman
- Herman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hvc
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2022 13:57:54(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Hello Herman. My personal opinion is, that it will be way too cramped, you should only have 3 tracks on 60cm. Cool

Originally Posted by: hvc Go to Quoted Post
1) do the 59087/59088 turnouts come with manual switch levers? Or do I need to separately order 59097/59098 switch levers?
The turnouts should come with the needed manual switch levers from Märklin.

2) same question for the double-slips - do I need to separately order 59097/59098 switch levers, and if so which ones?
The double-slips also comes with the needed switch levers.

3) will the manual switch levers fit in between my reduced clearance tracks? The space between the close tracks is a little over 4cm according to my track planning software, but not sure how accurate that is.
The manual switch levers extend 5cm. from the turnouts they're mounted on Cool

And so back to the green sections on the plan. In order to reduce the track spacing, I am planning to combine the two frog transition pieces 59092, which as designed should look like the example highlighted in orange on the plan above. Instead I'm planning to hack two of these pieces together to make the green sections above. Has anyone done this before?
I haven't heard of anybody doing this BigGrin

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline hvc  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2022 22:16:02(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Thank you for the careful answers!

Sounds like I’ll need to reconsider…
- Herman
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2022 00:48:25(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Sounds like I’ll need to reconsider…

Good plan BigGrin

My suggestion would be, that you first buy the tracks you can use "no matter what", and make a temporary layout to test things a bit Cool

If you then think you can fit more in, then you can buy the second lot of tracks, to get what you need for your final layout BigGrin

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2022 04:14:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Keep in mind during your testing that you always need to set points for the direction of travel - never try to run a G1 loco against the point setting, they will most likely derail.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
hvc
Offline hvc  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2022 05:34:49(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Keep in mind during your testing that you always need to set points for the direction of travel - never try to run a G1 loco against the point setting, they will most likely derail.

That will be hard to unlearn. I've been running trains against the points for 50 years already...

r0_0_547_308_w1200_h678_fmax.jpeg

- Herman
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hvc
Offline hvc  
#7 Posted : 06 January 2022 04:02:43(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Have ordered the minimum parts to play with from MSL, so now just the waiting for brown boxes to arrive in the mail...

Also, meanwhile thinking about what a more conventionally spaced plan might look like:

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 1.56.25 pm.png

I use Railmodeller on a Mac. It is quite accurate about C-track, but the Spur 1 geometry is a bit wonky - especially the Hosenträger piece seem to cause it to be off. Curious to see how it compares to reality.

- Herman
- Herman
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 06 January 2022 09:31:59(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I like this plan; IMHO it's much better than the first one BigGrin

Especially that it's not parallel with the base plate ThumpUp

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
hvc