Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carlos  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2021 16:12:06(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Hello to everybody:

I'm trying to install the 89391-block signal and according to the instructions that came with the signal I suppose to use the universal relay 7244 which is impossible to get because is out of stock. How can I install such signal without the 7244?

Thank you in advance and my best regards.

Carlos
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2021 17:43:04(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

This item may not be available at your local supplier, but I found it available online and there are at least 5 listed on Ebay.

Here is a possible source:

https://ajckids.com/prod..._sid=697202821&_ss=r

I don't know that much about using this device, but I would follow the instructions and not try to seek another solution. I have to admit, I am not an expert with the electric side of our hobby.

Take good care, happy holidays.

Dwight
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 17 December 2021 17:48:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Carlos Go to Quoted Post
[...] I suppose to use the universal relay 7244 which is impossible to get because is out of stock.
In stock at Märklin and any official dealer should be able to get it for you.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Carlos  
#4 Posted : 17 December 2021 18:08:17(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello, hope all is well.

This item may not be available at your local supplier, but I found it available online and there are at least 5 listed on Ebay.

Here is a possible source:

https://ajckids.com/prod..._sid=697202821&_ss=r

I don't know that much about using this device, but I would follow the instructions and not try to seek another solution. I have to admit, I am not an expert with the electric side of our hobby.

Take good care, happy holidays.

Dwight

Thank you Dwight and happy holidays to you too

Offline zscalehobo  
#5 Posted : 17 December 2021 20:43:48(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
According to Marklin Service (Herr Mayer) either 7244 or the old 10v 8945 will work. I've posted that 2 years ago on my 89391 page ....

https://www.zscalehobo.com/marklin/89391.html
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Carlos  
#6 Posted : 17 December 2021 22:39:04(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Carlos Go to Quoted Post
[...] I suppose to use the universal relay 7244 which is impossible to get because is out of stock.
In stock at Märklin and any official dealer should be able to get it for you.

Thanks Tom, regards

Carlos
Offline Carlos  
#7 Posted : 17 December 2021 22:41:50(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
According to Marklin Service (Herr Mayer) either 7244 or the old 10v 8945 will work. I've posted that 2 years ago on my 89391 page ....

https://www.zscalehobo.com/marklin/89391.html

Thank you Frank,
Regards
Carlos
Offline Carim  
#8 Posted : 18 December 2021 10:41:50(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Carlos,

It might not be the solution that you are after, but I just use a simple Single Pole Double Throw (On-On) toggle switch to control these signals.

If you want a train to automatically stop at a red signal use a Double Pole Double Throw switch. See this site: https://www.brian-lamber...k/Electrical-Page-3.html You have to go fairly far down the page to get to signalling.

Carim
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2022 17:43:20(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
The way I see it, there is no reason that a 12V latching relay (such as this : 12V Latching Relay) couldn't replace the 8945 in most applications. Admittedly connection to it will require soldering, but I see no reason that it wouldn't work in "modern" systems where the accessory voltage is DC. Not only are these a good deal cheaper than the 8945 they're probably more readily available, even at the moment where electronic components are in extremely short supply.)

Looking at the 8945, it looks quite a primitive design which might be sensitive to its orientation. Is anyone here in a position to comment on that? I'd expect if it's mounted vertically it might not stay in the "Up position or at least be a good deal less sensitive when required to switch in that direction.

Happy New Year to all!

Chris
Offline Mman  
#10 Posted : 03 January 2022 12:28:38(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I have just tried an 8945 universal relay when it is vertical (long sides vertical) although the armature will go up when 10volts are applied it drops back down again straight away. When short sides are vertical and long sides horizontal there is some hesitation in the armature going in one direction. Works best when flat as designed.
ChrisG
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#11 Posted : 03 January 2022 22:13:04(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
I have just tried an 8945 universal relay when it is vertical (long sides vertical) although the armature will go up when 10volts are applied it drops back down again straight away. When short sides are vertical and long sides horizontal there is some hesitation in the armature going in one direction. Works best when flat as designed.
ChrisG

Thanks Chris,

This confirms my suspicions about the universal relay and reinforces my belief that a "proper" latching relay is probably a better bet for those who are comfortable to fire up a soldering iron.

Cheers

Chris