Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#1 Posted : 01 December 2021 12:05:46(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Z Heads,
As it’s new territory for me - ( stepping down from H0 ) I would like to hear your comments/feedback.
Simply let me ask if any of you Marklin “Z” heads had a similar adventure/ encounter.
I have to admit that it never happened to me with Marklin H0 scale (I exclude Hurricane Sandy situation when my whole garage was washed off)
…so I bought this particular Z Mini Club model on eBay and I don't know its history. After opening the box I was covered with rust dust.On close inspection I noticed that box was rusted from inside.
Also wagon’s Axles and Buffers were covered with rust too - is it the fault of cheap steel and outsourcing production in to Republic of China???
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Btw:
I live on East Coast of US so summer time humidity is high but never have seen anything like this … Any thoughts or feedback?

Sincerely,
Märklineisenbahn

Edited by user 02 December 2021 13:56:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#2 Posted : 01 December 2021 12:21:41(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hi ,
Ironically, this Märklin Mini Club flat wagon carries two roles of stainless steel - it was issued as a promotion for the Algaier company - producing stainless steel sinks and oil sumps…
Offline Mman  
#3 Posted : 01 December 2021 12:49:19(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Not seen corrosion before on Z stuff, presumably the foam insert absorbed moisture somehow and the rust developed over a long time. Certainly not seen axles in that state before and in my early days of collecting bought Z from all over the world including the tropics.
Thinking back none of my H0 Märklin shows any rust, not even M track although I read recently that the pukos on C track rust.
ChrisG
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 01 December 2021 13:37:17(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I thought this was caused by the close contact of two different metals. The metal in the car, rolls and in the box causes an undesirable reaction. There is a scientific name for this but I don’t know what it is off hand, other forum users could put a name to it. This could be hastened by the environment it is exposed to as well but is unavoidable. Remove items from metal storage boxes and watch the foam for deterioration may be a wise move.

If a Ultrasonic cleaner is available it may cleanup the wheels but the wagon itself may not be repaired easily.

I think Marklin stopped with the metal storage boxes when they noted this was happening.

This reminds me to check my items and take them out of the metal box.

It is interesting the EBay seller did not disclose this condition, the good ones usually do. I like this set also, but hesitant to buy it because this is common, perhaps not as extreme as yours.

Thanks, take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#5 Posted : 01 December 2021 14:29:00(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Gents,
Thanks for your input-feedback.
Quote…”It is interesting the EBay seller did not disclose this condition, the good ones usually do….”end of Quote
Dwight, I can’t complain about seller- he bent backwards for me when I had to all of the sudden fly out of the states and this wagon was extra gift
So no hard feelings he was very helpful indeed.
Will try sonic bath and if it won’t work I try to polish it of
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 01 December 2021 21:20:19(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

Looking at the wheels it is possible they cannot be saved. Give it try and see what happens. Those ultrasonic devices do produce some surprising results. Don’t know what could be done with the wagon, perhaps it could be weathered a bit to hid the flaws

Most EBay vendors are great and willing to help out when needed. Glad you found some professionals too.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline zscalehobo  
#7 Posted : 01 December 2021 21:43:49(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
You actually got a really good deal if it's the 10.31 sale.

Scandinavian Galleries usually has C10 items and even his listing indicates rust and he mentions in his description that it has to do with the uncommon metals in one metal package. He smartly wraps the steel rolls in plastic bag (I'd add a dessicant pack as well for good measure).

Replace your wheelsets (see 700810) and you've got yourself a really good set.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline zscalehobo  
#8 Posted : 01 December 2021 22:32:51(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
There is a scientific name for this but I don’t know what it is off hand, other forum users could put a name to it.

Dwight

Galvanic corrosion - basically creates a battery ... Water or moisture is the electrolyte that facilitates the corrosion.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#9 Posted : 02 December 2021 15:29:49(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I started purchasing the Z Museum cars back in 97 and this one in particular has the same issue. Until reading the original post, I thought it was only mine. Oddly enough, none of my other Z cars are fine, despite using the same type of packaging. Even the “tin box “ HO offerings are fine. My biggest concern of all has been with the foam, which can degrade over time, leaving a sticky residue on the wagons. As a result, I’ve taken to wrapping the wagons in acid free tissue, then a plastic sheet prior to reinserting them in the foam block. Of course, keeping humidity in check is another challenge… thank goodness for desicant packets!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 18 December 2021 00:04:43(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well

I wonder if this item causes the only serious problem. It seems it had much more metal in it than any other. Two large rolls of metal, the railcar, all are substantially more than other offerings. Perhaps this is really what causes issues.

I noticed the 2022 museum car, looks like it is in a metal container once again.

Sorry this is the German language video.

Take good care.

Dwight

Edited by user 18 December 2021 07:31:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified