Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Do you run your steam locomotives backwards ?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Total 28 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kamstutz  
#1 Posted : 09 November 2021 03:35:37(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
I have seen videos of steam locomotives pulling trains while running in reverse (tender forward). I'm curious if any/many of you actually run your steamers in reverse on your layouts? Personally I never do, but wondering how many of you run them like that? I've prepared a quick survey to poll the results. Please vote.

Poll - Do you run your steamer in reverse when pulling a train ?

Kurt

Edited by moderator 09 November 2021 11:15:05(UTC)  | Reason: Created Poll

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2021 06:41:23(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I do; A BR23 with a string of umbauwagen with silberlinge.

I think you should make the poll from within the forum, or did the software loose that ability?

Edit; Just tested starting a new subject, and the "Add Poll" function is still there...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 09 November 2021 10:40:26(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, a DB br51 with cab tender and coal train.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2021 11:16:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Edit; Just tested starting a new subject, and the "Add Poll" function is still there...

Yes it is, and I've added one to this topic. No need to go to a dodgy 3rd party site! Wink

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kamstutz  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2021 13:28:32(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Yes it is, and I've added one to this topic. No need to go to a dodgy 3rd party site! Wink

Sorry about the off-site poll, but I couldn't get the forum poll to work last night. I saw the checkbox to turn it on, but it didn't seem to have any effect. Thanks for setting it up here instead.

Kurt
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2021 13:41:55(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
As I currently run 10 steamers with tenders, but only one of them runs backwards, I´ve slected "Occasionally". -Even if the BR23 runs like that permantly.
If I didnt have the BR23, I would have one of my BR50 running in reverse; I do it for aestechic reasons; So that at least one of the trains run differently.

Not falling within the scope of the poll, I have two other machines permanently running in reverse;
BR78 with umbauwagen.
E160 with a short string of gravel cars (Talbot) -But as this is not really a streckenlok, it doesnt see much action.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 09 November 2021 13:47:22(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Forum was down here all Sunday night through Monday morning E.S.T USA. I thought Juhan was doinf maintainence, but so long?
Offline kamstutz  
#8 Posted : 09 November 2021 13:49:54(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
As I currently run 10 steamers with tenders, but only one of them runs backwards..

Henrik - I recently converted a #3048 BR01 to digital and I added bi-color lights to the tender. Might be a good opportunity to run it backwards and see how I like it.

Thanks for your comments.

Kurt

Jay
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 09 November 2021 14:30:54(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would think that in a Kopfbahnhof setting, that a train pulling in would have new locomotives attached at the tail end to pull the train on departure. The locomotives then left at the station would reverse out and would either tail end it to a siding or would use the gleisdreieck (triangle) to change direction and prepare for their next assignment.
Some trains which were designed for push-pull use would be operated without direction change of the locomotive. I would think that in such cases, the locomotive would not be coupled to the train with the tender facing the train.
The most likely situation where you could find the locomotive running in the opposite direction would be at a direction change where there was no gleisdreieck and the only manoeuvre that was possible was to running around the train and pick up the other end. I don't know how common that was.
My focus has always been on the post-1968 era and steam has never been a major interest of mine.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Copenhagen  
#10 Posted : 09 November 2021 16:25:06(UTC)
Copenhagen

I have two steam shunting locomotives, Märklin 37068 and a Danish DSB Litra Q, and it should be perfectly prototypical to run them facing in both directions I think.
I don't do it with other steam trains so I can't really vote.

Edited by user 10 November 2021 02:33:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Mman  
#11 Posted : 09 November 2021 19:58:43(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Running backwards is limited by whether there is a front coupling fitted.
Particularly disappointing is the lack of front coupling on the Henschel Wegmann tank locomotive, class 61, well the Z gauge one anyway.
I suspect that it was designed to haul in either direction.
In the Isle of Wight running bunker first was the norm for steam locos when hauling in the up direction from Ventnor to Ryde since there was no way to turn them. The Great Eastern later the LNER ran a ‘jazz’ rapid service out of Liverpool Street without turning the engines at each end. I suspect that urban railways in Berlin operated in the same way.
Again in UK the Southern Railway designed the tenders of their large locos with running in reverse in mind, an idea carried forward into BR days with the Standard designs of engine.
For large locos in Austria and Germany I’m guessing that there were plenty of turning facilities making scheduled running tender first uncommon. Hard enough sighting signals from steam engine footplates without the added difficulties when running backwards.
ChrisG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mman