Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bryan  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2021 23:40:20(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Joined: 08/09/2010(UTC)
Posts: 131
Location: Bowral, NSW, Australia
Gentlemen

I have tried everywhere to find what the exact Back to Back (B2B) wheel gauge is for Marklin. If you measure all the old Marklin analogue B2B on the wheels the measurement is 13.8mm. On all current digital Marilyn models they are 14.2mm. Everywhere searched the Marklin standard is listed at 13.8mm.

Has the B2B changed at some point for Marklin and does anyone know when.

I did see a post a long time ago that Marklin needs at least 14mm B2B to travel smoothly through K track curved points.

I think MOROP B2B standards for DC 2 rail is 14.3mm.

Can anyone confirm B2B generally.

David
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2021 23:46:53(UTC)
H0


Joined: 16/02/2004(UTC)
Posts: 14,343
Location: DE-NW
Hi!
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
I did see a post a long time ago that Marklin needs at least 14mm B2B to travel smoothly through K track curved points.
"At least" is the wrong term, the wrong direction here.
I don't know which B2B is allowed at most to let wheelsets pass through Märklin turnouts.
DC wheelsets from Piko and Liliput are too wide for Märklin C track, but a slight adjustment of about 0.2 mm does the trick.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2021 00:36:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Joined: 23/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 6,433
Location: ENGLAND, Didcot
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
Gentlemen

I have tried everywhere to find what the exact Back to Back (B2B) wheel gauge is for Marklin. If you measure all the old Marklin analogue B2B on the wheels the measurement is 13.8mm. On all current digital Marilyn models they are 14.2mm. Everywhere searched the Marklin standard is listed at 13.8mm.

Has the B2B changed at some point for Marklin and does anyone know when.

I did see a post a long time ago that Marklin needs at least 14mm B2B to travel smoothly through K track curved points.

I think MOROP B2B standards for DC 2 rail is 14.3mm.

Can anyone confirm B2B generally.

David


If you are going to measure back to back distance then you need to know the flange thickness - the difference between very old marklin and modern items is most likely the flange thickness is a lot less now.

What you really need is the front to back measurement, i.e. from the base of the flange where it meets the tread that rides on the rail to the back of the other wheel. That is the critical distance.

Most people just use the B2B as it is easier to measure, and is fine to quote providing you know the flange thickness at the point the flange meets the tread.
Offline Copenhagen  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2021 00:42:32(UTC)
Copenhagen


Joined: 23/04/2019(UTC)
Posts: 173
I'll check some wheel sets with my caliper later today. It's not as simple as saying that at, or slightly above, a certain distance, like 14,3 mm, you'll have problems, because a lot depends on the flange size and also distance between axles. Wheel size also matters, and maybe even other things about the car's construction too.
The test by me is if the car can be pushed through a turnout set to left or right. If it tends to derail (over the frog I believe) then the wheels have to be adjusted. The car usually have to be tested with both ends pointing forward and also at the front end of a line of cars being pushed (meaning it being the rearmost car) as well as being placed between other cars. (Hope I didn't convolute things too much!).

As far as I know the 13,8mm is an old standard not needed for C and K track. With a low spacing I think there is a risk of sparks and short circuits when going through turnouts?

Did some measurements. On new 4 axled passenger coach distance is 14,2. Same goes for other Märklin wheels where results can vary from 14 to 14,2 and maybe slightly above. On an old Märklin flatbed car with fixed couplers that I bought used the distance was even 14,3mm.

Edited by user 21 October 2021 12:41:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2021 20:00:44(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Portugal   
Joined: 16/11/2011(UTC)
Posts: 5,215
Location: Southwesternmost
There is also a MOROP standard (NEM 340) for M* wheels:

https://www.morop.org/do...oads/nem/de/nem340_d.pdf

However, the 13.8 mm "re-commended" by the Fohrmann H0 rail gauge just works fine for me:

https://www.fohrmann.com/en/rail-gauge-h0.html


thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2021 21:40:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Joined: 23/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 6,433
Location: ENGLAND, Didcot
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
There is also a MOROP standard (NEM 340) for M* wheels:

https://www.morop.org/do...oads/nem/de/nem340_d.pdf

However, the 13.8 mm "re-commended" by the Fohrmann H0 rail gauge just works fine for me:

https://www.fohrmann.com/en/rail-gauge-h0.html




There is also this one (NEM310) which appears to be specifically for DC wheel sets.

Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.456 seconds.