Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Keyser  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2021 21:00:02(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
I just hooked up a MS2. The last thing that i would like to do is move the most used functions to the locomotives first function screen. I have found how to change the icons in the “change loco functions” screen. But, that does not seem to change the actual function itself. So this possible or not? If so, how?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2021 09:08:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Keyser Go to Quoted Post
So this possible or not?
Depends on the decoder. See decoder manual.

If so, how?
Depends on the decoder. See decoder manual.

Which locos do you want to do this for?
No chance if the decoder has DIP switches or is too old or locked.
Very complicated for modern decoders if you do not have proper equipment.
With just an MS2 it will in most cases not be worth the effort if it is possible at all.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Keyser  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2021 19:25:31(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
The only two locomotives that have MFX decoders and so many functions that there are multiple pages are my 37869 (powered rail car) and 39436 (highstepper). I do not seem to have a separate decoder manual for either and the locomotive manual does not mention being able to do this either. I thought that maybe someone had figured out a way to do so.

Thanks for the reply.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2021 19:41:02(UTC)
H0

I thought that maybe someone had figured out a way to do so.
Can be done with the two locos you mention: With an MS2, you can disable mfx in your MS2 and then use DCC to change the function assignment. Download the MSD/3 manual and use the CV table from that manual to proceed. It's very complicated, but it can be done. Re-enable mfx when all changes have been done.

A CS2 or CS3 will give you a GUI that makes this task much, much easier. So if you have a friend or a friendly dealer with CS2/CS3 that would be a much simpler approach.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Keyser  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2021 20:45:05(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
Thank you. I will give it a try.
Offline patnaik  
#6 Posted : 16 November 2021 23:53:33(UTC)
patnaik

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Can be done with the two locos you mention: With an MS2, you can disable mfx in your MS2 and then use DCC to change the function assignment. Download the MSD/3 manual and use the CV table from that manual to proceed. It's very complicated, but it can be done. Re-enable mfx when all changes have been done.

A CS2 or CS3 will give you a GUI that makes this task much, much easier. So if you have a friend or a friendly dealer with CS2/CS3 that would be a much simpler approach.

I recently picked up a mfx lok with sound that also supports DCC (my first one). I am using an Intellibox which does not support mfx but does support DCC. I use JMRI for DCC decoder programming. I downloaded the MDS/3 manual from Marklin, but I cannot see how to change the function assignment using DCC (there do not appear to be CVs for this or they are undocumented). Any suggestions? I guess I can find someone who has a CS2/CS3. Thanks!
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 17 November 2021 09:26:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: patnaik Go to Quoted Post
I downloaded the MDS/3 manual from Marklin, but I cannot see how to change the function assignment using DCC (there do not appear to be CVs for this or they are undocumented). Any suggestions?
Check page 12 in this document:
https://www.maerklin.de/...Zusatzanleitung_0716.pdf

This is the German version. I don't know if there also is an English version.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline patnaik  
#8 Posted : 17 November 2021 14:06:00(UTC)
patnaik

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Check page 12 in this document:
https://www.maerklin.de/...Zusatzanleitung_0716.pdf

This is the German version. I don't know if there also is an English version.

Thanks! I will try a translator. I will also ask Marklin USA if there is an English version.