Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Steve Willis  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2021 18:33:32(UTC)
Steve Willis

United Kingdom   
Hi
Following my successful update and the subsequent elation of having the screen resembling the manual (!!), I got on with designing the layout screen (just the basic shape - no functions or feedbacks etc yet) All has gone well but after a few goes of actually running trains OK, I am now getting an error message saying "overload at device GFP3/1 Channel 1." I have absolutely no idea what this means. I have clicked on "System", then "GFP1" but can see nothing that's any different to the manual pictures. Sometimes when I switch the "Stop" bar off, I hear a sort of "fizzing" noise from inside the controller. The weird thing is I hear the same noise coming from a tunnel mouth (???!!!). The only thing inside the tunnel is a reverse loop electronic polarity switch. This is new and has been working fine. I don't know if this has failed and this is causing a) the noise (but why at the controller as well?) or b) the error message to appear or c) something entirely different. All I know is, I can't drive any trains at the moment. Let's hope it's something simple.

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Steve
Offline Bogenschütze  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2021 19:02:19(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Hi Steve.

"Reverse loop electronic polarity switch"? I'm no expert but this sounds like something that would be used with a 2-rail DC layout rather than a Marklin 3-rail (actually studs) layout. The beauty of the Marklin system is that you don't need to worry about reverse loops and isolating turnout frogs as both running rails are at the same polarity and form the return circuit. Perhaps the switch in the tunnel is causing a partial short circuit which is seen by the controller as an overload.

There are much more digital savvy members than me on this forum so I look forward to their responses. Good luck.
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
Online kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2021 19:11:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Steve Willis Go to Quoted Post
I am now getting an error message saying "overload at device GFP3/1 Channel 1." I have absolutely no idea what this means.

GFP is "Gleis Format Processor" - in other words the booster portion of the controller that feeds the track. If you have additional boosters they will also report as a GFP.

When you do a software update to the controller it may do a software update of the GFP as a second or third stage of the update.

The GFP in the controller I would expect to report as GFP1, so if you have a GFP3 that suggests you have two additional boosters. But I don't know why it says channel 1 as they only have a single output.

I would also ask what the story is with a reverse loop polarity switch. You need to tell us the full story of your layout to get any further help I think.

Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 03 September 2021 19:56:31(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Steve Willis Go to Quoted Post
Hi
Following my successful update and the subsequent elation of having the screen resembling the manual (!!), I got on with designing the layout screen (just the basic shape - no functions or feedbacks etc yet) All has gone well but after a few goes of actually running trains OK, I am now getting an error message saying "overload at device GFP3/1 Channel 1." I have absolutely no idea what this means. I have clicked on "System", then "GFP1" but can see nothing that's any different to the manual pictures. Sometimes when I switch the "Stop" bar off, I hear a sort of "fizzing" noise from inside the controller. The weird thing is I hear the same noise coming from a tunnel mouth (???!!!). The only thing inside the tunnel is a reverse loop electronic polarity switch. This is new and has been working fine. I don't know if this has failed and this is causing a) the noise (but why at the controller as well?) or b) the error message to appear or c) something entirely different. All I know is, I can't drive any trains at the moment. Let's hope it's something simple.

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Steve

Hey!
What type of turnout track do you use?
Do you use a digital electronic reverse loop like Lenz LK200?
They works excellent and also works fine with mfx protocol in the two rail system.
What cause fizzing noise?
If it was overload, the system shuts off!
Check first by empty locomotives on the track and switch on the system.
If you hear any fizzing sounds, the problem are perhaps a turnout with bad motor?

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 03 September 2021 22:26:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
A fizzing or buzzing sound is a sure indicator that you have a track short, and given the comments about the reverse loop switch, that would be my pick for being the culprit.

Alan alludes to possible multiple boosters in his comment, and picking up on that you could trying disconnecting your boosters one by one and seeing if the short persists. The booster that you disconnect that results in no short is the layout section that contains the short.

You've probably been able to run trains OK until the switch has been activated by a train causing the short. Remove the switch and any associated wiring and isolated sections because don't need them - of course we are all assuming you are indeed running a Marklin 3 rail system, but you don't actually indicate what you are running.

I'm assuming you're running a CS3 with multiple boosters as well. Best to describe those for troubleshooting purposes at the start of the query.
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 03 September 2021 23:23:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
WE appear to be talking about a reverse loop switch. I understood that this is not produced by Marklin as it is not required. As Dave above says what exactly are you running and what track.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Online kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 03 September 2021 23:55:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
WE appear to be talking about a reverse loop switch. I understood that this is not produced by Marklin as it is not required. As Dave above says what exactly are you running and what track.

Marklin do produce a reverse loop switch under the Trix branding, where one can be required as they run 2-rail.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 04 September 2021 09:22:49(UTC)
Goofy

A booster can generate a lot of power and possible start humming sounds.
Even power consumption like trafo you can feel on it when it´s generate while power remains on.
The more power you use it generate a lot and if you place your ear close to the trafo you can hear small humming sound.
It is also difference between humming and fizzing sounds.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 04 September 2021 12:04:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
A booster can generate a lot of power and possible start humming sounds.

Yes, but we are talking about a different sound Goofy - not the gentle hum of a transformer.

Offline Steve Willis  
#10 Posted : 04 September 2021 12:18:47(UTC)
Steve Willis

United Kingdom   
Many thanks, Guys for all the tips. FYI, I run a 2 rail system with no boosters and although I've fitted the (SEEP) point motors, they are not yet connected to the system. The electronic reverse loop gizmo is less than 12 months old so if it turns out to be that, they'll be hearing from me!! If it is that, it will teach me not to hide electronics down tunnels! No one has said what channel 1 is in the error message. Should I contact Marklin to find out?

Steve
Offline Steve Willis  
#11 Posted : 04 September 2021 17:34:41(UTC)
Steve Willis

United Kingdom   
Greetings from the blind man!!! After all the kerfuffle regarding the error message, I thought I would try connecting a length of track earmarked for my viaduct and noticed that the feeds intended for this length were touching!!!!!!! Simply moving them apart solved the problem - no more error messages and the reverse loop module is working as it should............silently!!!

Thanks for all your input

Steve
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Steve Willis