Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mman  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2021 11:47:53(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
image.jpgYesterday I undertook a pleasant train journey to Ford to visit GM’s retail shop to buy a couple of reduced items in the mini-club range. Today I tested them on my usual test track, a Noch Tessin cased layout with Märklin track. Old and new my locos usually negotiate the outer circuit faultlessly and the inner circuit, which contains smaller radius curves, all ok with reduced speed.
The class 143 electric outline loco (88438) derails persistently on the outer circuit, particularly over the curved points in the trailing direction and more with one cab leading than the other.
I have measured the back to back of the wheels at 5.5mm which compares with the same measurement made on a random selection of other known good locos.

The other buy was a set of 5 Rheingold coaches (87269) which I bought because they have interior fittings. The observation car refused to couple up at one end and on examination discovered that one of the coupling hooks has been installed upside down!

I am now looking forward to another round train trip next week to take both items back.

ChrisG
Offline IanC  
#2 Posted : 27 August 2021 15:20:24(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Perhaps you could do the full circuit in reverse while hanging bat-like upside down from the luggage rack to benefit from replicating the model full effect.

IanC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 27 August 2021 15:49:02(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
GM know very little about Marklin as they are not retail dealers. I have sold them a couple of locos whichI think they still have as the price is way to high. I would not be sure if items are run or checked before sale as can be seen by some purchases on here. Their service is good but knowledge of Marklin could be limited.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2021 19:37:56(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, sometimes you just can’t win.

At least you had a pleasant train journey and the prospect for at least one more in the near future.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#5 Posted : 28 August 2021 22:15:57(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
don't worry. Whenever I put my NEW V80 on track, it derails too.

still thinking, should I return it, or not.
Offline Mman  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2021 22:39:28(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I’m beginning to think that the problem with the cl 143 is that not all the wheels are bearing down evenly on the track, you can rock it slightly from side to side when sitting on a perfectly level piece of track. This might account for why it is worse in one direction than the other for the outer wheels climbing the rails on a curve and thus derailing.
I had a two axle wagon which tended to derail on curves and that was because the chassis had a twist in it.
This happens on the full size railway when the springs are not set correctly or the wagon is very badly loaded.
ChrisG
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 28 August 2021 23:50:44(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
don't worry. Whenever I put my NEW V80 on track, it derails too.

still thinking, should I return it, or not.

It feels like Maerklin are loosing the plot - classic Mini Club would rush round even their tightest radius curves without coming off.
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 29 August 2021 02:30:18(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

I have a BR74 which always derailed the front pilot truck.

The wheels on this part are just pressed in, but on this piece the wheels did not match the width of the track.

Not certain this could be possible, but perhaps, on older units, this could be checked. Older models have plastic wheels pressed onto a metal axle.

On the locomotives, perhaps the axle has a slight bend in it. Sometimes, they get damaged. I had some replacement wheel sets and in the mail one was bent and it was obvious I could not use it. Now I ask vendors to place items in another hard container to limit damages.

Best wishes.

Dwight
Offline Mman  
#9 Posted : 01 September 2021 10:44:17(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Up before dawn for a return trip to GM to sort out the two defective items I bought last week. This time I went the other way around (East, South, West, North)but when I arrived at Ford was met with a darkened shop and a closed sign. A bit annoyed, I rang them and they told me they were closed for a deep clean. After a while they did agree that I could simply return the pair and they would refund me. Better than a completely wasted journey but I would have liked to have had the other set of Rheingolds that they had (assuming it was not defective).
I think I’ll call it quits for now!
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Zme