Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2021 13:18:12(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good morning, I discovered that one of the coaches of the 3148 set has coupler problems. I removed the bogeys and discovered that this coach has the chassis slightly bent where the bogeys are. Hod do I disassemble it to fix this ?
Thank you
Marco
Offline rugauger  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2021 09:49:37(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
You have to bend back the little tabs / tongues on the body. I think they are accessible from the inside at both ends. I don't have any of these coaches any more, otherwise I'd post a picture.
Richard
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2021 10:01:09(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
You have to be extremely careful bending those tabs, frequently they break. They were really only intended to be bent once, and that was during assembly.

To disassemble you will be unbending them, and then re-bending them to reassemble. Metal-fatigue will likely kick in.

Might be worth looking for a tin-plate forum to ask on, there are some real experts around who will have gone through this and have some experience.

If I recall, heating seems to help, but you have to be careful not to overheat and damage the paint. On the few occasions I've done it, I only bent the tabs the absolute minimum required to 'flex' the item apart, and again to reassemble.

The less you have to bend the tab, the less chance of breakage.

Good luck
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2021 17:28:57(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
As Cookee states above, the main concern is with the tabs. Having disassembled/re-assembled a number of pre-war Lionel tinplate coaches and freight wagons, slow and steady is the key. I've never had one break, but rarely do they bend back to their original state, although well enough to keep everything together. If you do break a tab on the inside of the wagon, you may consider a strong adhesive: once cured, it won't be noticeable to anyone but you.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2021 18:55:40(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
All, thank you.
I'll post a picture when I'm back home.
From what I have noticed the tabs are still bent but not in their slats / lodgings and the sides of the coach are not fitting snugly to the chassis.
Cheers - Marco