Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H5463  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2021 15:57:18(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Should I always power on MS2, or only do so while using? Since there is no switch bottom on the gear, I constantly plug in or out the power switch. I wonder if there is a good habit to use it for a long run. Thanks!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2021 16:09:28(UTC)
H0

Maybe get an extension chord with a switch.
You should always disconnect the power supply from power when not in use.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2021 19:15:53(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I plug the trafo into a power strip; they're inexpensive and as HO points out, you have a quick means of interrupting the power. Comes in handy on my test bench.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 18 August 2021 20:35:53(UTC)
Minok

United States   
What exactly is being asked here, as the words used leave a lot of options for interpretation?

Are you talking about plugging and unplugging a MS2 into the Track Box they come with? Or into/out of a CS?
Or are you talking about the power supply to the track box the MS uses?

Generally, turn the power off to the layout when not in use.
Generally, the less you unplug and re-plug those DIN style connectors the better, as every time is a chance to bend some pins or make the machanical connection slightly weaker.

So if you are plugging the MS into a CS, just leave it plugged in, and when the CS is turned off its good.
If its the overall power supply to the track - put it on a power strip or similar to turn off the power to everything when the layout is not in use.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H5463  
#5 Posted : 19 August 2021 02:14:00(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
What exactly is being asked here, as the words used leave a lot of options for interpretation?

MS2's power supply, I should say. I plug it in the wall socket or unplug constantly.

Edited by moderator 19 August 2021 22:39:02(UTC)  | Reason: Removed unnecessary full post quote

Offline Rwill  
#6 Posted : 19 August 2021 13:46:16(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I will probably get shouted at but never mind!

I use CS3 and have an MS2.

The CS3 controls the main layout. This includes some “hobby signals” fed through an M84 – Don’t like them much but quite cheap to replace when the cats eat them or sit on them. Sometimes the M84 is fed through a 66361 power pack plugged in way under the layout

The MS2 has three uses:

1) On my workbench on a little test track to see if my repairs have worked or to experiment. Powered by another 66361 to a track box – plugged to mains way under the workbench
2) Occasional use on my “small” LGB shunting layout with power supply and track box.
3) Very occasionally plugged straight into the front of the CS3 so that visiting Grandkids can help with controlling the trains. Don’t like this much as on previous CS2 the Pin broke in the socket and had to be repaired.

So on the MS2 on the workbench when not in use I simply pull out the plug from the track box. I also do this with the M84 simply pull the plug out from the box and the signal lights go off when the CS3 is also off.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 19 August 2021 14:01:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
So on the MS2 on the workbench when not in use I simply pull out the plug from the track box. I also do this with the M84 simply pull the plug out from the box and the signal lights go off when the CS3 is also off.
So the "wallwart" power supplies will be powered all the time? So they will draw power all the time, even though no consumer is connected on the output side.

I remember a case where a person left the laptop power supply always plugged in, even when the laptop was off. The house burnt down because the laptop supply started the fire - and the insurance would not pay because laptop power supplies are not designed to be plugged in all the time.

To reduce power consumption and wear, I would disconnect the wallwart from power - and a power strip is the easiest way, allowing to switch multiple units with just one click.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Rwill  
#8 Posted : 19 August 2021 15:52:08(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
So I knew I would get shouted at and I guessed it would be by Tom (HO).

If ever you are in London mate you are more than welcome to pop in but give me notice so I can sanitise our ancient house. I will check that out house insurance is paid up. I am sitting at the workbench/desk in the railway room. There are two mobile phone charger plugs on the desk, a quite large plug for the electric bike charger that I have just been out on and not yet plugged back in to the battery. There is a charger for the Dyson Vacuum cleaner. A USB lead sticking out of the back of the computer and of course the offending plug for the marklin 66361. The page in the Manual doesn’t tell me not to do what I do:

I actually accept you are right (and knew in advance someone would pick me up) but I shall probably do nothing about it.

Need to go now and light the BBQ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 19 August 2021 16:33:09(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
So I knew I would get shouted at and I guessed it would be by Tom (HO).
Live your live as you please.
But if you give advice that is not environment-friendly or has safety risks, then accept that these are pointed out. Is that already "shouting at you"?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 19 August 2021 18:35:51(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Oh, not you too RWill!!! A couple of us here are worse than a nebby nose gossiping neighbor. You know the type, like Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced by her) as Bouque`t.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 19 August 2021 22:48:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hey Guys, please settle down and stop being offended when someone corrects something you have posted. While it might irritate at the time, I'm sure with reflection you'll agree the it's better to have correct information out there than misinformation - folks aren't being pedantic in correcting you so don't take it personally when they do - which seems to be what is happening! How about offering them some thanks for their wisdom rather than sniping and bickering. They've corrected me on occasions and I'm still alive to tell the tale!

I didn't see or hear any shouting from anyone in this thread!
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz