Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chrome58  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2021 12:43:37(UTC)
Chrome58

Belgium   
Hello everyone,

Several years ago, I bought 2 DC american locomotives models (not Märklin or Trix brands), but never got to having them run on a layout, as ... well life happened. Anyway, during my holidays this year, I went in Göppingen to see the Märklin museum, and there, I bought, on a whim, the TRIX starter set 21000, that includes the Mobile Station DCC/MFX/MM2 (66955).

Back home, I took the locomotive models out of their boxes, and tried them on the TRIX starter oval set. Nothing worked as planned. To be complete, I must say I did not do any configuration whatsoever on the locomotives, so maybe I skipped an important part there, I don't know.

The first locomotive (CONCOR brand, not DCC), run around at a constant speed, full lights on, without any possibility to control it, except to press STOP to stop it. When I did an automatic search, the MS found a DCC locomotive (!) but that did not work also : the locomotive ran erratically at low speed.

The second locomotive (WALTHERS brand, DCC equipped), did not react at all to anything. I did an automotic search, and the MS found nothing.

I know I bought this starter set on a whim, and that it may be incompatible, but that's very surprising to me, as I thought that the DCC protocol was a world standard.

Can someone help me ?

Thank you.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2021 12:57:22(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: Chrome58 Go to Quoted Post
I know I bought this starter set on a whim, and that it may be incompatible, but that's very surprising to me, as I thought that the DCC protocol was a world standard.
Yes, NMRA DCC is a world standard, but the MS2 is a cheap controller.

Reading DCC values, as used for address detection, checks the current drawn by the loco. In rare cases the MS2 is not sensitive enough and DCC reading does not work.
The default address is 3, so maybe try adding a DCC loco with address 3 manually.
Older DCC decoders may be irritated by MM or MFX commands on the track. If all your locos are DCC, you can set the MS2 to "DCC only" in the protocol settings.

If the CONCOR loco is not DCC, what is it? Maybe it is analogue and there simply runs whenever there is power on the tracks. Doing so could harm the loco, so do not do this for a long time.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Chrome58  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2021 14:49:29(UTC)
Chrome58

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you!

The default address is 3, so maybe try adding a DCC loco with address 3 manually.

OK, I will try this with the DCC equipped loco.

If the CONCOR loco is not DCC, what is it? Maybe it is analogue and there simply runs whenever there is power on the tracks. Doing so could harm the loco, so do not do this for a long time.

I think it is indeed analog.
There is no mention of DCC, nowhere on the box, or in the notice.
Would that explain why it runs around at full speed ?

I thought the digital and analog locos could be mixed on a layout, but I guess I was wrong (as I said, full noobie here ...).

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 18 August 2021 15:00:45(UTC)
H0

I thought the digital and analog locos could be mixed on a layout, but I guess I was wrong (as I said, full noobie here ...).
Digital and analogue locos can be mixed on analogue layouts.
Some DCC controllers allow running analogue DC locos with the pseudo-address 0, but the MS2 is not one of them. Generally not recommended anyway and can harm locos.

So yes, mixing is possible in some cases.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Chrome58  
#5 Posted : 18 August 2021 15:30:11(UTC)
Chrome58

Belgium   
Can the analog loco be converted to DCC ?
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 18 August 2021 15:43:33(UTC)
H0

Can the analog loco be converted to DCC ?
I never saw a CONCOR loco, but generally this is possible.
In the best case the loco is "digital ready" and you only have to plug a decoder in.
In the worst case you have to grind the frame to make room for the decoder - soldering required.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Chrome58  
#7 Posted : 18 August 2021 16:04:47(UTC)
Chrome58

Belgium   

OK, I will try this with the DCC equipped loco.

It worked!
Thank you very much!

For the other loco (not DCC), I have searched and found that plug-in DCC decoder do exist.
So it's a matter of converting it to DCC and they will both work.
Thank you!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chrome58