Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tinroofrusted  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2021 11:43:02(UTC)
tinroofrusted

Korea, Republic Of   
I am very new at all of this and so I know this subject has been covered so I am looking for the posts. I have a 60's Br81 locomotive that pulls five to seven 1960s 4002 passenger cars and one 4003 luggage car. the Br81 locomotive is digital with incandescent lights. With the M track, there is the spring foot in the center that applies the current for passenger car lighting. However, my thinking is the locomotive has this spring foot built-in. Is it possible to use the lights in the locomotive to jump off and using current couplers to feed the lights in the rest of the cars ( say six in total)? What's the math? Also, most of my landscape is LED, but with the older stuff, I do not mind the incandescent lights. Is there a great advantage to LED besides heat? Again, for most of you, this is a basic question. I have already read many of your posts. I am just trying to figure out which direction is the best and figured you all have the options. Thanks for your time and consideration.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tinroofrusted
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2021 13:39:42(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Add on Led's need resistors to ensure not blowing, and inhibit flickering. It isn't rocket science. I use 2.2k ohm 1/2 watt. I thought they might be too strong, but they worked.
I had some nano Led's that the built in tiny resistor was too hot. These resolved it. Marklin LED kits have them built in.
Be careful when tapping into a locomotive motor or decoder for current conducting couplers. Research the new items from Marklin with this feature. They warn of possible shorting out if the car is of a metal bottom, or bogie with a metal coupler. You may NOT have two cars in a train consist with more than one pick-up shoe!!!
New Loco's with these use their decoder to turn the coupler current on and off. You can exchange the current coupler for std. ones if the trains is like this below;
You also need to "NOT" have one installed betwween the Locomotive and train if it has a cab control car with a decoder for lighting other cars.
The new current conducting couplers only couple to each other, not to standard non conducting ones.
You wil no doubt get more or better advice from others.
Offline tinroofrusted  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2021 14:55:16(UTC)
tinroofrusted

Korea, Republic Of   
Actually, you have told me a great deal.Thanks for the quick reply, Marklinist! Thomas