Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline robertmamlok  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2021 19:02:47(UTC)
robertmamlok

United States   
Is it possible to use a timer to start a train controlled with a DCC MArklin locomotive controlled with a Marklin mobile station. I have a small layout in a storefront that I would like to turn on and off with a timer. When I try to connect and disconnect the power to the mobile station through a timer, the mobile station defaults back to a 0 speed and the dial needs to be turned manually to start the locomotive. Hopefully, the problem makes some sense and even better if some one has a solution! Thanks

Bob
Offline thomasm  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2021 10:04:27(UTC)
thomasm

Norway   
Hi, a friend of mine have the same issue with his storefront layout. Our solution was to run the train with either an analog or an older delta / digital controller. like the 80F. and put a timer on this.

.thomas
Märklinist, hobbyist and collector. || Trains are meant to be driven.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by thomasm
H0
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2021 14:16:35(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

A very simple solution could be to insert the relay from the timer in one of the wires going from the track box to the tracks.

This would leave the mobile station on; but remove power to the tracks.

The locomotive will stop very abrupt; but probably similar to what you have right now.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 09 August 2021 14:33:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Quite frankly, to me this requires a cs2 or cs3 to do the required automation - but that is a rather expensive solution for what you want to do (although with suitable analogue only locos it could be done with an old 6600 controller which would be a lot cheaper).

However with locos that can understand DCC I would suggest another possibility, a Raspberry Pi running JMRI and a Pi-SPROG hat for the Pi to generate the DCC signal. That would allow you to do automation from simple to as complicated as you want to get.

The hardware would come in at about $150 i think, and there would be a reasonable amount of time to get familiar with JMRI, but it may be the easiest solution.

There is also an Auduino project called DCC++ or the later version DCCEX which may also do what you want. Again there is a DCC generation hat that will drive a limited number of locos on the track. It can also be driven from JMRI, but I don't know if it can do simple automation on its own.

The only other option I can think of is one of the various projects that people have come up with to do things but requires some electronics expertise.
Examples on this forum that i found quickly listed here ...
https://www.marklin-users.net/fo.../t42467-CAN-Wifi-Gateway
https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...-additional-power-supply
https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...es-and-turns-without-Box

I'm sure there is another project that has also been listed on this forum which can connect the track box to a PC, but I can't find it at present. It originated in germany IIRC.