Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 27 June 2021 15:07:35(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I have to replace a bogey of The tender of the 3048 loco I bought with the 3148 set. Bogey arrived. I can't unscrew the screw that is holding it in place. The head of the screw is getting damaged by the flat screwdriver that skids off it. I have sprayed the screw with WD-40 screw unblocker bit it isn't getting me anywhere. Has anyone got a working methodology ? For one I'll have to thin the blade of a bigger screwdriver and see if this works as well. The one I've been using doesn't cover the whole of the screw head but only the center part.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 27 June 2021 19:58:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
I have to replace a bogey of The tender of the 3048 loco I bought with the 3148 set. Bogey arrived. I can't unscrew the screw that is holding it in place. The head of the screw is getting damaged by the flat screwdriver that skids off it. I have sprayed the screw with WD-40 screw unblocker bit it isn't getting me anywhere. Has anyone got a working methodology ? For one I'll have to thin the blade of a bigger screwdriver and see if this works as well. The one I've been using doesn't cover the whole of the screw head but only the center part.

I'd leave it 24 hours for the WD-40 to soak down the thread. The other trick I have used is to alternatively tighten and loosen the screw to break whatever corrosion has bound it in the thread.

Offline Mman  
#3 Posted : 27 June 2021 23:57:07(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
The screw may have been installed with a thread locking adhesive.
Essential to get a screwdriver to fit exactly before further damage. After letting WD soak in, if that doesn’t work try heating the screw with a soldering iron pressed to it.
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Offline ocram63_uk  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2021 00:22:52(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Thank you Alan, Chris.
The soldering iron do I place it on the ending bit of the scrw or on the head? If I heat the screw doesn't it expand ?

I have found a seller that has the screws on the 'bay' so I might get then just to be sure everything is back in pristine condition after I finish.
Offline Mman  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2021 08:04:48(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Put the iron wherever you can get at the screw, the screw expanding slightly may break any seal, when it cools try undoing it again. Usually I use a blow torch on seized (big non Märklin) bolts but that would not be practical in this case (or wise!).
Good luck.
ChrisG
Offline ocram63_uk  
#6 Posted : 29 June 2021 18:30:22(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
SOLVED

The trick suggested by Chris did it, massive thank you. No locking adhesive.

First of all I 'slimmed' the tip of a bigger screwdriver, the ones I had managed to fit only half the lenght of the screw head and were too big.

I applied heat once and tried unscrewing, nothing happened.

Heated it again but this time, with the screwdriver in the screw head, I gave a couple of bangs with a hammer on the handle of the screwdriver and then applied as much torque as my wrists allow me to these days, the screw budged.

Bogey replaced :-)

The question now is, do I order the original set of new screws and replace the 'damaged' one or leave it as is ?
Cheers - Ciao
Marco
Offline ocram63_uk  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2021 09:43:05(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Thank you all for your help and support !!!
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2021 10:12:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for your help and support !!!

I've found it too, these screws are very solid screwed down, a proper screwdriver is needed to undo it otherwise we follow your senario

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode