Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2021 08:59:57(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Does anyone know where I can find a video tutorial or some plain English notes on how to program Faller servo motors with a Faller Controller 180725 ?
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2021 14:12:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know where I can find a video tutorial or some plain English notes on how to program Faller servo motors with a Faller Controller 180725 ?

The manual on the Faller website looks to be comprehensive. Scroll down to page 31 for English.

Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2021 08:19:44(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

The manual on the Faller website looks to be comprehensive. Scroll down to page 31 for English.

"Comprehensive" ??? I would say "absolutely confusing". On page 45 (using a digital control unit - in my case an Ecos), what does it mean "On the digital control unit press one of the two keys of a coli item address that is intended to move the servo later." This is a clear as mud to me - after all, I'm just a drongo.
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2021 09:02:27(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Greg,

Agree - it’s not the best written manual, at least for the English translation....

As I understand you should be able to configure each servo port 1-4 by connecting it to the programming track and using the default address 1, 3, 5 and 7. Then use the CV table to write individual values.

Some German fluent readers should be able to clarify.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Drongo  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2021 09:07:19(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Greg,

Agree - it’s not the best written manual, at least for the English translation....

As I understand you should be able to configure each servo port 1-4 by connecting it to the programming track and using the default address 1, 3, 5 and 7. Then use the CV table to write individual values.

Some German fluent readers should be able to clarify.

Best Regards
Lasse

Thanks Lasse, I'm almost bald and trying to understand these instructions, I'm pulling what hair I have left out. I'll try again later when I've calmed down. These manuals must be designed by people who think we all understand programming.
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 26 June 2021 04:48:34(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
what does it mean "On the digital control unit press one of the two keys of a coli item address that is intended to move the servo later." This is a clear as mud to me - after all, I'm just a drongo.

Hello
It means just that.
You have to select any adress of a two coil accesory (turnouts and such) that will serve you to operate the unit later. When the servo control is in programming mode and doing things in the described sequence, to push the keys in red and green will tell the servo control wich adress will control the servo later. The other keys that will be used temporary will serve to calibrate the position of the arm.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 26 June 2021 06:41:14(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
what does it mean "On the digital control unit press one of the two keys of a coli item address that is intended to move the servo later." This is a clear as mud to me - after all, I'm just a drongo.

Hello
It means just that.
You have to select any adress of a two coil accesory (turnouts and such) that will serve you to operate the unit later. When the servo control is in programming mode and doing things in the described sequence, to push the keys in red and green will tell the servo control wich adress will control the servo later. The other keys that will be used temporary will serve to calibrate the position of the arm.
Regards

Thanks for the help. I can set the address on the EcoS (in this case 180) and when I press the icon (which is a 2 way signal) the servo moves in one direction. I press the icon again and the servo moves back however when it reaches its end it reverses and goes back and forth. In the manual it says I can program the servo using the CV's but the instructions on how to do this are not clear. Can someone please give me a set of examples of what the CV's values are to be. All I want to do is open the doors of the shed and close the doors.
Offline Drongo  
#8 Posted : 26 June 2021 07:34:41(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I just watched the ESU Lokpilot video on Youtube and it's a lot easier to follow than the Faller 180725. Why can't Faller do the same type of video so that us "drongos" can use their products ?
Offline Drongo  
#9 Posted : 26 June 2021 12:06:50(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
What does "rocking amplitude hold position" mean ?
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 26 June 2021 18:55:15(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
The rocking is the oscilation of an arm in its final Position. For instance the arm of a semaphore. For your intended Applikation ir is not necessary.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline franciscohg  
#11 Posted : 26 June 2021 22:19:45(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, hope you have sorted out the programming of the unit. If not, i have made a little video showing the basic procedure that should be enough to open the doors of a loco shed.
Hope it helps
Regards

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Drongo  
#12 Posted : 27 June 2021 06:14:57(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Well, hope you have sorted out the programming of the unit. If not, i have made a little video showing the basic procedure that should be enough to open the doors of a loco shed.
Hope it helps
Regards

Thank you very much Francisco for this very informative video. I can follow your instructions, however, I don't have a CS2 - an EcoS. So how do I use the EcoS where you are using the CS2 ?

Regards

Greg
Offline franciscohg  
#13 Posted : 27 June 2021 06:38:19(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi. I dont know exactly since I dont have an ECOS. As you can see in the CS2 there is a keyboard page to control solenoids, i has just to use them. I dont know how the ECOS Display the solenoids Buttons.
I made the same in the CS3, it allows me for programming in DCC Mode with no problems. There you dont have a keyboard page like the CS2, so i previously create 3 solenoids accesory Buttons, one with adress 500 meant to be the control Button for the faller unit, and one with adress 510 and one with adress 511 meant to be the temporäry + and - Buttons. If the ECOS dont have a keyboard page, perhaps this is the way to proceed. Adresses of course can be the ones you like better.
Regards
Offline Drongo  
#14 Posted : 27 June 2021 07:08:50(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi. I dont know exactly since I dont have an ECOS. As you can see in the CS2 there is a keyboard page to control solenoids, i has just to use them. I dont know how the ECOS Display the solenoids Buttons.
I made the same in the CS3, it allows me for programming in DCC Mode with no problems. There you dont have a keyboard page like the CS2, so i previously create 3 solenoids accesory Buttons, one with adress 500 meant to be the control Button for the faller unit, and one with adress 510 and one with adress 511 meant to be the temporäry + and - Buttons. If the ECOS dont have a keyboard page, perhaps this is the way to proceed. Adresses of course can be the ones you like better.
Regards

Thanks again Francisco - I have borrowed a CS3+ from a friend and as you stated there isn't a keyboard page and the CS3 is so different, I have to learn how to use the CS3. Nothing seems to be easy - WHY ? I don't know and he's on 3rd.

Regards
Greg
Offline franciscohg  
#15 Posted : 27 June 2021 07:36:05(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
well, keep us posted, if you dont manage to sort it out, i can make another video showing the procedure with a CS3+, here you can also easily work with CVs for advanced programming
Regards
Offline Drongo  
#16 Posted : 27 June 2021 08:39:29(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
well, keep us posted, if you dont manage to sort it out, i can make another video showing the procedure with a CS3+, here you can also easily work with CVs for advanced programming
Regards

Please could you make the video using the CS3+.

Regards
Greg
Offline franciscohg  
#17 Posted : 27 June 2021 20:07:13(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
here it is
hope it helps
Regards

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Drongo  
#18 Posted : 28 June 2021 06:41:13(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hello
here it is
hope it helps
Regards

Hi Francisco - again thank you very much for this very informative video. It was a an enormous help. I finally got the servo motors to work, but what an ordeal. I've used the ESU Lokpilot and ESU servo motors before and they are a lot easier to program. What did the programming staff at Faller were thinking at the time ? Obviously, the sales and marketing staff at Faller never use the products and so don't know what they are selling. I bet if the marketing manager was given one to program he or she would reject the product. As for the CEO of Faller - as long as they're making a profit - who cares.

Anyway, I really appreciate your help.

Regards
Greg

BTW I'm going to see if I can substitute the servo motors with ESU's or use a Lokpilot instead of the Faller 180725
Offline Drongo  
#19 Posted : 28 June 2021 07:57:18(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi fellas,

In my last post I gratefully thanked Fransico for his wonderful video in helping me program my servo motors, Well, I happen to have an ESU Lokpilot left over from a previous project and the only reason I didn't buy more Lokpilots was because the Faller roundhouse that I bought for my new turntable, could be easily installed with Faller servo motors. As it turned out the Faller decoder 180725 was a nightmare to program. So I hooked up the lokpilot and followed the easy installation video and within 5 minutes I had it all working. What does this mean ? Faller should stick to what it does well - manufacture models and scenery and leave the electronics to the electronic experts. If Faller was to design the ESU servos into their models then life would be easier. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion never to buy and electronic products from Faller. Obviously, whoever at Faller is responsible for marketing their products, doesn't spend anytime trying out the products before they are released. It makes you wonder how companies survive - imagine if they did their homework correctly.

Anyway, I need to buy some more Lokpilots - anyone want 2 Faller 180725's ?

Regards
Greg