Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bondijohn  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2021 04:34:19(UTC)
Bondijohn

Australia   
I recently took delivery of the Marklin 37995 with the two steam loks. They’re not yet shown in “What’s arrived” as I’m having trouble loading the photographs of other recent deliveries but that is another matter.

The locomotive 37995- 02 was put onto the layout for a test run. I can run two locomotives on the layout using the CS 2, but when I started running either of the other two 37995-02 started on it’s own and at full speed. I had no control over the steamer. LOL

I haven’t opened her up yet but am hoping wiser heads may lead in the right directions. Confused

Kind regards,

John
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2021 05:01:00(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Marklin 37995 is the weathered Big Boy 4014 from the years 2013-2014.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2021 05:06:07(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi John,

For a locomotive newly placed on a layout this is not an unusual occurrence.
For one of a number of reasons, the locomotive decoder does not recognise the there is a digital controller (in this case MS-2) in charge and is operating as an analogue (non-digital) on the full voltage.

I am not familiar with this locomotive set to know what sort of decoder is installed.
Depending on that information, other people may give you ananswer.
Is your locomotive a Union Pacific Big Boy?

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2021 08:00:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
At least the problem happened when connected to a controller. I would be much more worried if a locomotive started racing around when the track was not connected to a controller/power supply...

Unplug your controller and plug it in again. Hopefully it will recognize the locomotive.
You can try adding the locomotive from the database and see if it recognizes it then.

If not, confirm that your locomotive is the digital version and not an analog version.

If you have an analog transformer, connect a few track sections and power the locomotive for a few seconds and then place back on the digital track and hopefully it will be recognized then.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 19 June 2021 13:44:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bondijohn Go to Quoted Post
I recently took delivery of the Marklin 37995 with the two steam loks. They’re not yet shown in “What’s arrived” as I’m having trouble loading the photographs of other recent deliveries but that is another matter.

The locomotive 37995- 02 was put onto the layout for a test run. I can run two locomotives on the layout using the CS 2, but when I started running either of the other two 37995-02 started on it’s own and at full speed. I had no control over the steamer. LOL

I haven’t opened her up yet but am hoping wiser heads may lead in the right directions. Confused

Kind regards,

John

At one point there was an update for the msd3 decoders because of this being a problem when a loco was first put on the track and would run off while the mfx identification was made. See my post over here ...

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Rocca  
#6 Posted : 19 June 2021 14:10:31(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   

Hi, John,
Maybe it is just that you've toomuch lokos on the layout, so you could try to connect some tracks on the programming slot you find in the back of your CS2. The System would have to recognize the new loco directly.
Good Luck!!

Stefano

Kind regards,

John

Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 19 June 2021 19:52:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
The loco is an MFX one so it must register.
When for any reason the loco goes full speed, the registration may be more difficult (because of electrical noise by full speed circulation.
The solution?
I would try to install the loco upside-down on a foam bed and make a good electrical connection , then power up and give it time for registration.

Possibly activate the function "Find lost MFX locos" if after plenty more than one minute, no registration starts.

Patience is key as I noticed that Märklin has increased the sequence times for registration on latest s/w versions.
Now I use mostly a CS3 where the function search for lost MFX locos is very effective but takes time.

Of course I assume that MFX DCC, MM2 protocols are allowed at your CS2. Your loco is MFX and MM2 I believe.

Note: on multi protocol decoders and multi protocol Central Unit, you may have funny situations where the loco is programmed as DCC and the CS blocks DCC protocol. In this example, the loco receives power but no orders. That is why, when trying to "find" a new loco, all protocols must be allowed on your CS.
Good luck
Jean
Offline Bondijohn  
#8 Posted : 22 June 2021 00:31:12(UTC)
Bondijohn

Australia   
Thank you for your responses. I’ll have another try over the weekend and let you all know how I went.

Foumaro- my apologies. The set is a 37955, the locomotives are 37955-01 and 37955-02.

Kind regards,

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bondijohn
Offline foumaro  
#9 Posted : 22 June 2021 07:54:19(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
No need for apology.Maybe you can think about the possibility to change the decoders,if you can afford it.They are perfect and they deserve better electronics.You do not need to change the motors,so i think that is an easy conversion.
Enjoy your locos.ThumpUp
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 22 June 2021 09:00:16(UTC)
H0

I can run two locomotives on the layout using the CS 2, but when I started running either of the other two 37995-02 started on it’s own and at full speed. I had no control over the steamer. LOL
Some of these dirt-cheap decoders are faulty and will not return to speed step 0 after long periods without power (e.g. in the box).
Make sure to select the loco on the controller before placing it on the track.
Both locos from this set have the same default address. Change the address of one of those locos on the programming track ASAP.
If the set was bought second-hand and the address is not known, then this could be problem.

If the set was bought second-hand, then maybe check if the loco is really digital. The cheap locos from this set can be used to swap shells with older analogue locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline DasBert33  
#11 Posted : 22 June 2021 13:03:48(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
1. If you are not using analog operation, and the loco has a programmable decoder, disable analog operation in the decoder. Do the same for any other protocols that the decoder supports that you don't want to use. (had a similar issue with a Brawa V36) (program it using DCC cvs)
2. Check the voltage of the CS2. It is maybe on the low side, making the decoder think it is on an analog layout, getting it to start running. If you can slightly increase it, do so, however too high a voltage is not good for the capacitors on some decoders...
3. As said by Jean, disable unused protocols in the CS2 as well.
4. Check the wiring to the layout, make sure you have no power loss due to inadequate (=too thin, too few) wiring. This can lead to voltage drops, see 2. Also check that there is no forbidden electronics in between the CS2 output and the track, like suppression coils.
5. Change the address of the 'bad' locos. I still have an issue with an older BR03.10 (37911) where it responds to commands of switches when using motorola address '31'. Changing the address helped. (but it is only a workaround and no fix)
6. Consider replacing the decoder(s) if nothing above helps.
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 22 June 2021 13:22:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DasBert33 Go to Quoted Post
1. If you are not using analog operation, and the loco has a programmable decoder, disable analog operation in the decoder. Do the same for any other protocols that the decoder supports that you don't want to use. (had a similar issue with a Brawa V36) (program it using DCC cvs)
The dirt-cheap factory-installed decoder does not support anything beside MM protocol, and analogue mode cannot be disabled.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline DasBert33  
#13 Posted : 22 June 2021 15:25:45(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The dirt-cheap factory-installed decoder does not support anything beside MM protocol, and analogue mode cannot be disabled.

In that case I would revert to option #6: change the decoder. It will also improve running a lot and fix the running-away issue.

I have replaced most of the 60760 decoders I had (I assume you are referring to similar decoders?) already.
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 22 June 2021 15:41:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DasBert33 Go to Quoted Post
I have replaced most of the 60760 decoders I had (I assume you are referring to similar decoders?) already.
It's a decoder with a 21MTC socket, but features are identical to the 60760 decoder. Usually works OK, but still a very basic decoder.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline owidgie  
#15 Posted : 22 June 2021 22:41:14(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Check that the red and brown wires aren't reversed in both the CS2 plug and track connections. This sometimes causes confusion in older decoders.

Rick