Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zoooctan  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2021 18:22:52(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Dear friends, some time ago there was a discussion of things and I uploaded some photographs of this book called Collection Marklin Spur Z.
This is a very good book and is very detailed, with over 800 pages of all of Marklin's items for Z scale with colour photographs.
Text is in German.

I made a video to show you what the book is like so you can decide if you like it. Unfortunately the website price now lists it for Euro 39.99. This seems a lot more than what I paid for it a few years ago. Bear in mind that I'm reviewing the version for up to 2015. There is a newer one which costs a lot more.
I believe there is also a more expensive, limited one that comes with a locomotive as well.

And finally, there is also a PDF which you can buy and download. But quite frankly, in my opinion, if you're going to pay to download something to your computer...you may just as well google the item for free.

Here is my video review:

Thanks

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2021 19:28:33(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, I am sold! Great reference book and review!BigGrin

Seems I was recently looking at the listing for this book at a very cheap price. I am surprised to see the price rise so quickly. Post Covid, I expect we will see many price increases.

I recommend this book too, even at the current price, you will find it useful. Perhaps you could watch for this in the secondary market.

Thanks

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2021 17:33:42(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Wow, someone here is a real proffessional at producing videos! Much appreciated.
I cannot read German but this would be a great way to learn a little. Those descriptions are going to be very similar in format for all locos or cars. Just learning to read one or two might open the door to reading most of them.
It certainly looks like the prices just shot up dramatically but so has everything else since COVID. I doubt it is much more than necessary for this outfit to continue to be profitable. I sent them an email in English which was never answered but the gist was, what is necessary to have a complete up to date set? And is the 2015 edition the last hard copy to be produced? If there will be a future hard copy up to date of everything I might wait. I was prepared to order the book and USB stick update. Or everything on USB stick. I definitely want everything up to date.
Another question is, how is the quality of the digital graphics? The ability to expand the digital graphics on a computer screen is great if they are detailed, worthless if everything becomes too blurry to see clearly.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2021 19:53:40(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

I just purchased the 2021 update as a download. I had to wait a day until my purchase record was verified and I was allowed to make the purchase.

The entire update cost me $10 total, and I downloaded the update as a ZIP file. The instructions said I could download it from their site twice and after this, it would not be available.

Downloading took no time and unzipping is standard to Windows. It is now PDF file on my PC.

The update looks just like what the book does, and I can scroll thru the entire thing in the same order as the book. For what I need it for, it will work fine.

Even 88025 is listed in this update, I didn't realize this was a model from 2019. Great!

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2021 20:11:49(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks! Can you "expand" the pictures with good detail? And I imagine you can print them too?
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 02 June 2021 20:26:50(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi

In PDF format, the images may be enlarged and the document may be printed. Seems like a convenient solution.

Take good care

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 03 June 2021 01:35:58(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello here is an image from the PDF Modellplan update.

UserPostedImage

It is very detailed as you can see.

Thanks

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#8 Posted : 03 June 2021 03:21:33(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Perfect
Offline zscalehobo  
#9 Posted : 04 June 2021 03:58:36(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
It certainly looks like the prices just shot up dramatically

I got 2015 version for 9.25€ plus 10€ shipping DE to USA on May 3 2021. I will look into the pdf update. The book even 2015 version is great!
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Zme
Offline zscalehobo  
#10 Posted : 04 June 2021 04:00:39(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post

Even 88025 is listed in this update, I didn't realize this was a model from 2019.

Yes. Jan 2019 was the announcement for 88025 and I got my first units in Feb 2021. Many customers waited TWO YEARS for 88025!!!
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Zme
Offline husafreak  
#11 Posted : 04 June 2021 20:36:00(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I need a little help here. I ordered the Marklin Spur Z eBook #71021e from Modellplan. It says "von 1972 bis February 2021". I used the translate function but I'm not really sure what is included. A PDF of course. It is 19.50 euros on the site and cost me $20.85 USD. I had to open an account with a password and I think I did that correctly. But now I really don't know how I download this item. The transaction went through PayPal and I got a thank you transaction complete but no email with a link to the download. Maybe it takes a day to process? Or maybe the link is on the site under my account somewhere? I'll wait a day until delving back into my German lessons! But I would appreciate a hint ;)
Offline zscalehobo  
#12 Posted : 05 June 2021 02:41:02(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
From 1972 to 2021. Von = from and bis = until

Someone will follow my comment with some miniscule correction but you get the gist.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline husafreak  
#13 Posted : 05 June 2021 03:04:48(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Cool, that was my guess and I hope I get the whole thing on pdf.
Now to figure out how to download it. But I was able to read my account page with the translator on their site. It shows my purchase as “pending”.
Clicking on the links shown here on my receipt take me to forms but not the collection.
697DFF2C-821C-41D7-9AF1-8295E1F67A78.png
Offline Zme  
#14 Posted : 05 June 2021 04:09:06(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello I believe I needed to log into my ModellPlan account and check what my order record had, and that is where I found I could download the file. Windows 10 should translate the website for you.

It is a small file and did not take long to download. Just remember which folder you downloaded the file to.

Best wishes

Dwight

Offline zscalehobo  
#15 Posted : 05 June 2021 05:04:34(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
On your receipt it tells you when you'll get it in plain German... "Lieferzeit ca 3 - 4 tage"

Ships in approx 3 - 4 days.

Judging by Dwight's experience above you'll likely have access tomorrow or if they're a typically Euro company then next business day ... Monday.

PS ... The "big one" hasn't happened yet - the Bay isn't yet part of the "US Minor Outlying Islands" as you indicated in your order ... I wonder how a Minor Island relates to an Adult Island?
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline husafreak  
#16 Posted : 05 June 2021 07:54:49(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks Frank! Much appreciated. Good eye btw, they didn’t have United States as an option so I decided “who cares?” And chose that ;)
Offline husafreak  
#17 Posted : 07 June 2021 20:12:44(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I received a couple of emails from Modellplan yesterday, one of which stated "Neuer Status: Download bereit" (which even I could translate) so I logged into the website and found the download button in my account.
The PDF is readable in my Mac Preview function and I was able to Airdrop it to my other Apple devices and use Books to read it. Which should be a lot of fun! It is an awesome document.
But, in the few minutes I spent with it just now I did not find an index, just 1035 pages of Marklin locos and products in, to me, random order. I still have a second download available. The PDF does not have the first few pages shown in the video description of the hard copy. The ones with the index and couplers, etc. It goes right to the Tenderlokomotiven starting with Article: 80122 and ends 1035 pages later with Article: 82720. A quick skim through showed up my new Green Cargo loco and cars dated 2020 and I found my newest acquisition, an 8857 dated 1975-6, so it is all in there :)
I am really impressed! For instance my Artikel: 8857 BR151 Der DB apparently has four variants, 1975-6, 1977-81, 1982-90, and 1989. V-1,3,4 are illustrated. From this I can guess that mine is a V1. It is obviously not a 3 or 4 and since the Kupplung are different between 1 and 2 and my couplings are non chamfered like the V1 pictured I'll go with that ;)
For approximately 20 USD I can't imagine anyone not wanting to own this CollectioN. The higher priced books or USB sticks might be a harder sell. Of course they might be easier to use, contain even more information, or have higher resolution photos as again the Mac Preview/Books may be reducing the images. They get blurry at very high magnification.
Offline Zme  
#18 Posted : 08 June 2021 01:12:52(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Great!

I believe your order is not the same as the one I purchased. Perhaps yours includes more.

Glad you’re satisfied. It is a good value and with the paperback , that would be all someone needs. It is surprising the amount of information you get.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#19 Posted : 08 June 2021 03:46:39(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I ordered the Marklin Spur Z eBook #71021e from Modellplan. it is not an update.
Offline husafreak  
#20 Posted : 09 June 2021 18:07:53(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
More success today. As beautiful as imprints on quality paper are they lack the modern miracles that an iPad can provide. One of those is the ability to enlarge images and another is to translate text. I tried a couple of different translators and Microsoft Translate downloaded from the App Store worked for me. I also believe you can use it without downloading it, but it was free, I have space, and now I can use it without wifi.
Once the App is loaded and you've gone back to the Modellplan PDF book you simply long press and highlight the dialog you wish to translate, and tap "Share..." you will see "Translate" and its logo as an option (at the bottom of the pop up) then select your language, and in seconds you have your translation. Backing up a bit note that when you first highlight the text you wish to translate in the PDF you cannot copy it, the publisher has blocked this feature. That is what stopped me initially when I tried to copy/paste the German text into Google Translate. But If you select "Share..." you will see Microsoft's "Translate" as an option and once you have your translation that can be copied! So below is the translation into English of the first loco I came across that I own. As you can see it is a very good job:

BR96derDB
MHI/INSIDER
Tank locomotive.
Axle arrangement D' D of the type Mallet. Two red cast chassis, eight driven axles, red spoked wheels, dark nickel-plated wheel tires, red/black poles, detailed functional Heusinger controls, red brake system and rail cleaner. Black cast housing. Operating no.: 96 019, white aluminium inscriptions. LED dual-light peak signal, automatic light change with change of direction.
Length 81 mm. Clutch 1 B. 2013

BigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline pdiam2  
#21 Posted : 26 September 2022 20:16:55(UTC)
pdiam2

United States   
Can someone give me the website to order this book or pdf download. I would greatly appreciate this information.
Offline husafreak  
#22 Posted : 26 September 2022 20:33:34(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Try searching for modellplan.de
Offline pdiam2  
#23 Posted : 27 September 2022 03:33:20(UTC)
pdiam2

United States   
Thank you for the information.
Offline pdiam2  
#24 Posted : 29 September 2022 16:42:21(UTC)
pdiam2

United States   
Hi everyone, I ordered the PDF file for the book and it says it will take 3 to 4 days depending on what country you reside in. Will I get another email when it’s ready to be downloaded ? Also can I read it on an Apple IPad ?
Offline Zme  
#25 Posted : 29 September 2022 18:05:00(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

It has been a while but, as I recall, an account must be created in order to make this purchase. If you log into your account you can find the status of your order. I don't remember if there was also a link where the PDF could be downloaded. This is possible. and downloading is simple and quick.

In the past, in order to make a PDF purchase, it was necessary to have purchased the hard copy book. The publisher may verify your purchase history, perhaps this takes more than a day or so, maybe longer with the Covid environment. I would login and check your order status. The original publisher/owner of this company recently died. It is possible some of the procedures or rules have changed since this happened.

Yes, the PDF files works on an IPad. This is a great publication, no matter, but you might need the item number to find what you are looking for. Also, it is a German language publication, and not easily translated. On the iPad, it is easy to scroll thru the document and enjoy all the photos. Enjoy this reference, it is the best out there.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline pdiam2  
#26 Posted : 29 September 2022 19:14:06(UTC)
pdiam2

United States   
Offline Toosmall  
#27 Posted : 30 September 2022 08:55:04(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
text you wish to translate in the PDF you cannot copy it, the publisher has blocked this feature

A simply workaround I do on an Android phone is do a screenshot of the PDF text. Open the screenshot in Google Photos. Then use Google Lens > Text, sometimes cropping a photo first or crop sections helps with awkward or unnecessary photo layout. Then paste that text into whatever.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Zme
Offline pdiam2  
#28 Posted : 02 October 2022 14:44:15(UTC)
pdiam2

United States   
I downloaded the pdf file on my iPad Pro and it says z_2022_patch1.exe When I try to open it I’m told it’s an unreadable file. Can anyone help me on what to do next ?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#29 Posted : 02 October 2022 19:28:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: pdiam2 Go to Quoted Post
I downloaded the pdf file on my iPad Pro and it says z_2022_patch1.exe When I try to open it I’m told it’s an unreadable file. Can anyone help me on what to do next ?

That sounds like it is a self unpacking zip file. An EXE file is a windows executable. what a ZIP file can do is add a basic zip unpacking program at the frone.

However if you have a program that can unpack a ZIP file it should recognise this and extract the contents of the zip file and save it where you can use it.

Offline Zme  
#30 Posted : 02 October 2022 20:52:34(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I am not certain what you ordered but it seems this file is a bugfix. This likely will not work on an iPad.

https://www.marklin-users.net/up...6-878C-D7B0D23B38EE.jpeg

It is the first file listed above. This file might be to fix a problem with one of their programs, either track planning or their collection database program. This may not be what you wanted, unless you have one of these programs.

The file you may be looking for is likely this one. As it says it works as a PDF file.

https://www.marklin-users.net/up...8-ACE5-6524CBCED334.jpeg

You might need to contact them to correct your order. To confirm what was ordered, login. In upper right click on your user name and then you can look at your order history. A link to download something can also be found on the page. The iPad has a feature to translate the website, to make this easier.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline pdiam2  
#31 Posted : 03 October 2022 20:51:49(UTC)
pdiam2

United States