Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Arvid Naess  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2021 22:22:16(UTC)
Arvid Naess

Norway   
Hi
I live in Norway and are starting up again with this hobby.

I got my first train when I was a kid and it was stored under my bed on a frame with wheels so I could pull it out easily.
Then as an young adult I did buy an Mini Club system, but did never build a stable system and the tracks broke after some assembly and dissasembly. I was planing to do some more but kids took all the space and time.

Now everything is changing.
I am building a box with three parts. The middle frame is containing the tracks on topside and all electronics on the underside. The bottom layer can be used for storage of trains and hinged in the back with the middle frame. The top frame can be lifted off and is for protecting when stored in my closet.

I use AnyRail for planning and the picture as of today is just a result of training on using the program. I plan to have the two tracks following the frame as seen to day but I do not know how the middle will look later in the process.

I have an Digitrax DCS52 Zephyr Express on the way together with several different decoders and trains as a start.
First goal is to complete the build of the box. It is wood ready now and i wait for wheels, some metalparts and hinges.

Next step is to use dubbel sided tape and set up an small test track to learn more about DCC, reverse loop, blockdetection, JMRI and computer automation before going full out with an permanent layout.

As you can understand this is a long term project and the most important here right now is to get the box ready.

I do this project as an automation project and have no idea about what to build in terms of buildings and other model stuff... I think that will come later. I plan for building the tracks in one level to get as stable system at possible but will raise them up sligtly to get the possibility to build better looking layout with details later on. I have 90 mm from the base plate and up with 70mm where the two spars going under the frame so it is possible to build some kind of bridge there if i want and do it right.
Feel free to comment and ask.

This is an early attempt to create an crowded layout with lots of blockdetections zones.
This is an early attempt to create an crowded layout with lots of blockdetections zones.

Bits and pieces for the frames. It is really built from scratch
Bits and pieces for building the frame

Three frames ready for some hardware
Three frames ready for some hardware

Bottom frame is, yea, the bottom frame... To protect the inside of middle frame.
Bottom frame is, yea, the bottom frame... To protect the inside of middle frame.

The middle frame will be crowded with wiring and electronic and hinged to the bottom frame.
The middle frame will be crouded whith wiring and electronic and hinged to the bottom frame.

As an start i will just use dubbelsided tape to make an small test layout.
As an start i will just use dubbelsided tape to make an small test layout

All three frames together whithout the hardware in place.
All three frames together whithout the hardware in place.

The finished box have an perfect spot waiting in my closet.
The finished box have an perfect spot waiting in my closet. Wheels on the short end for easy transport will be mounted.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Arvid Naess
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2021 23:54:09(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello and welcome to the Z Scale forum.

Looks like a well crafted platform for your track. I have no skill with this type of construction, so always appreciate seeing how it is done.

Your plan is well thought out, storage has been a topic for discussion recently and I see you have already planned for this. I know it will be great to see your locomotives running when you get it done, please share your progress.

Best wishes

Dwight

Offline Arvid Naess  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2021 11:34:18(UTC)
Arvid Naess

Norway   
The box is ready for tracks and electronics!!

This is a long term project and things take its time.
I am really really happy and proud of this so far. Close up you can see i am not a professional, but on distance everyone can be fooled. I am hoverer very happy with this.

Right now I am waiting for 2mm cork sheets for track bed, it will arrive next week.
The tracks are already cut to right lengths and the outer two tracks are in right place ready for gluing on to cork after splitting up the different blocks.

When track bed and the two outer tracks are in place the next step is the wiring on the underside. First i will run an DC locomotive just to investigate all the joints and head on to programming the block detecting, sensors and turnouts when my voltage reducer arrive soon.

The little blue box inside the box is an small Linux computer. I have planned to make this box self sufficient with all intelligence for automation inside and just plug and play.

Here are some pictures of the progress.

Front of the box standing on the wheels ready for beeing pushed in to my closet
Front of the box standing on the wheels

Details from the backside of the box with hinges and rubber feet to save the floor
Details from the backside with hinges and rubberfeet

Box ready for some action, standing on the rubber feet
Box standing on rubberfeet ready for some action

Ok, had a friend over and "had to" take a break... The box on the wheels in the background is proof of concept...
"had to take a break" Box in background is proof of concept...

Top is coming off and stands set in possition.
Top is coming off and stands set ready.

The main part of this box is 15 kg and easy to lift on to the stands.
15kg is easy to lift

Inside is ready for electronics
Inside is ready for electronics

The electronics on the lower side and wiring on the top side under the tracks. The blue box is an Linux computer for automation.
Electronics

Just a sneek peak on how things can look when all tracks is in place. Not the final design in center.
Sneek peak on possible final design.

Two outer tracks in place and working. Just running for one minute due to high voltage, still waiting for voltage reducer...
Two outer tracks in place

Yeees!! This is progress. Important milestone met when driving train in the box
Next step is cork and then drilling holes for wiring on underside.
Yeees!! Milestone met when driving train in the box
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Arvid Naess
Offline JD3  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2022 13:04:54(UTC)
JD3

United States   
Hi -

Are there any updates to this since the last post?

Fascinating and inspiring project!

John

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JD3