Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JPL44  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2021 14:50:38(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
If I buy a used Krokodil on EBay which needs work, will I be able to find necessary spare parts like engine “brushes” for the electric motor. Other parts too for Spur 1 Loks like smoke generators? Where???

I am thinking of buying one of the ca 1984 Krokodil Locomotives Spur 1-Track 1 Large Format. While they were issued to commemorate a Marklin business anniversary they are fully functional. I worry that such an old analog Lok will need service and that even the most common spare parts, such as brushes for the electric motor will be unavailable. I called up the schematic on thr Marklin website and found only a bag of light bulb replacements were still available and a few screws !! I also have a # 5706 Steam tender Lok and a 5719 diesel Lok both Spur 1. The smoke function on the 5706 never worked properly. I bought these Loks and a few cars in Germany in 1982/3 and I would run them in the old analog system in a very modest way since I lack space for an elaborate set up. I have always loved the Krok in Spur 1 since I first saw it in a shop window in Hamburg but I want one that will at least go around my minimalist circle. I wonder about the availability of parts if it won’t run without them or if my existing Loks stop working. I only set them up once-twice a year. I don’t know if they still work and in any case they surely would run better if I can service them. Are spare parts available from somewhere? If so, where? Thanks for your interest and advice. As you see, I’m a rank amateur!
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2021 17:17:07(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: JPL44 Go to Quoted Post
If I buy a used Krokodil on EBay which needs work, will I be able to find necessary spare parts like engine “brushes” for the electric motor. Other parts too for Spur 1 Loks like smoke generators? Where???

A little personal intro maybe?
A little more specific info on which "Krokodil"? (Gauge, model # , etc..) ?
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
H0JPL44
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2021 17:36:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Good point.
It is about I gauge, but more details would be helpful.

Related:
https://www.marklin-user...um/posts/t46875-Krokodil
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2021 18:04:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Good point.
It is about I gauge, but more details would be helpful.

Related:
https://www.marklin-user...um/posts/t46875-Krokodil

Hmm, never got a comment on the links I gave over in that thread, sounds like maybe he has picked up one of them (they were both 4 digit catalogue numbers, so reasonably old models).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2021 07:45:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Hmm, never got a comment on the links I gave over in that thread.....

I commented....
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2021 07:49:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
To answer the OP's question, Gauge 1 brushes are still available, but I don't know if it is a one size fits all. I recently got a few sets of brushes off ebay one pair of which went into a Gauge 1 BR55 steam loco.

https://www.ebay.com/itm...b50d7:g:ne4AAOSwoJZXSyfw

As to smoke generators, Suethe produce Gauge 1 smoke generators and these are readily available - most likely the original Marklin generator are Suethe produced.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/...a211b:g:EqEAAOSwJt5byE5-

https://www.ebay.de/itm/...edfa1:g:2o0AAOSwJclgbyvc

I don't know what size curves you are using, but I would suggest you don't even think about running a Gauge 1 Croc on 600mm radius curves. 1020mm radius curves are the minimum needed.
Offline phils2um  
#7 Posted : 07 May 2021 10:46:09(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
I picked up a green gauge I krok, No. 5756 off Ebay about 10 years ago. It was in good shape except for some broken handrails. I found the part no. for a replacement handrail set and put in an order with Reynauld's here in the USA back in 2012. It was on backorder for years. I had pretty much given up hope and figured I'd need to fabricate something myself with brass wire. In April of 2017, five years later, I got a call asking if I still wanted the handrails. Of course I said YES and they arrived shortly thereafter. I've yet to install them as I want to put in a decoder possibly with sound when I start work on it.

Moral of the story is don't give up hope on finding replacement parts!
Phil S.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline JPL44  
#8 Posted : 07 May 2021 14:57:17(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
Thanks for all these helpful suggestions and great stories. I’ve been waiting for 40 years for a Spur 1 Krokodil so I’m patient too! But still nice to have great links to spare part sources if I ever find the courage to venture into the guts of my Spur1toys!! Jpl44.
Offline JPL44  
#9 Posted : 07 May 2021 15:02:02(UTC)
JPL44

United States   
PS

I’m lucky on the track and circle radius/diameter. The track I bought in Germany makes a circle of 1020 mm radius and I can even extend it with a few straight track sections. I’m only limited by the size of my empty nest unused bedroom.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JPL44