Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joao Zilio  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2021 19:29:53(UTC)
Joao Zilio

Brazil   
Dear colegues, I need some help with a question.

I have a large collection of analog locos, and some digitals too.
I am building a C Track layout to works in both analog and digital mode, not at same time, obviously.

When its in analogue mode, with analogue transformer connecting energy to tracks, Is it possible to use a MS2 unpluged of tracks only to
control turnouts digitally?

I heard once time that the control between MS2 and digital decoders is by infrared.

So, If its possible, how to do that?

Thank you all and stay safe at home!

Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2021 20:06:54(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Joao,
That will not work. The signals to decoders are sent through the track box to the lok and turnouts. In fact you might destroy the turnout decoders if you hook up the track to analogue power. Don't know for sure, I have never tried it.

Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2021 20:40:42(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
I operate the turnouts and signals of my analog track layout digitally through a track box and a computer (and, occasionally, a MS2).

However, this is only possible by using external turnout decoders (in my case, K83 boxes) that are connected to the track box. The track box has no connection to the tracks (except for the common ground).
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2021 10:04:13(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Joao Zilio Go to Quoted Post
I heard once time that the control between MS2 and digital decoders is by infrared.
No, it is by cable.
If you run the layout analogue then the turnout decoders must not be connected to the track. Can even be done with turnout decoders installed in the trackbed of C track, but voids the advantage of reduced wiring.
Easier when k83 decoders or similar have been used.

So it can be done, but may require massive rewiring depending on the current installation.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2021 11:57:59(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
In my early digital days I started with 6021/6040 then upgraded to a MS2. I loved the MS2 (at the time!) for more functions controlling two loks at a time etc etc but found difficulty with controlling turnouts etc forever switching back and forth on the screen, so I returned to a separate circuit not connected to the track of 6040/6021 and K83s which although plenty of wiring under the board worked well, You do need to be careful with any analogue/ digital layout that you take measures to ensure that track box and transformer leads can never be connected at the same time - I recall that "Trainride" has this set up with a comprehensive switching control between the two systems. Otherwise you risk that expensive smell of electrical burning as you hurry to get the trains running