Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline trentschler  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2021 18:05:01(UTC)
trentschler

United States   
Hi All,

I'm setting up a three-rail C-track digital layout with my CS3+ as the command station. My platform is already wired for four power distribution blocks from a previous DCC layout. The current command station (NCE) sends the signal to the track through DCC Specialties PSX circuit breakers. I'd like just to replace the output of the NCE system with the output from the CS3+. It would be DCC more or less, wouldn't it? As opposed to pure AC? I can rewire some bits if necessary and bypass the PSX units. Of course the CS3 would then be responsible for any and all the shorts. How are power districts commonly handled with Marklin three-rail? Separate booster districts? Obviously, this is my first layout other than a simple loop.

Thank you,
Tony
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2021 19:30:53(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Tony
Are you planning to run DCC on the CS3+? That is no issue. Marklin does not warrant their devices to work with other brand accessories, but that doesn't mean they won't. Usually Marklin layouts use boosters to segment the layout into power blocks. If the PSX circuit breakers just pass through the signal with no modification it would probably work but total power usage will be limited by the CS3+. The CS3 manuals have diagrams of typical setups for connectivity to other Marklin devices and the track.

Regards,
Roger

Offline trentschler  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2021 20:06:10(UTC)
trentschler

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tony
Are you planning to run DCC on the CS3+? That is no issue. Marklin does not warrant their devices to work with other brand accessories, but that doesn't mean they won't. Usually Marklin layouts use boosters to segment the layout into power blocks. If the PSX circuit breakers just pass through the signal with no modification it would probably work but total power usage will be limited by the CS3+. The CS3 manuals have diagrams of typical setups for connectivity to other Marklin devices and the track.

Regards,
Roger

Yes, I'm planning to run only DCC, well, mfx actually, but I only have Marklin locomotives now. The PSX breakers just pass the signal on through. I've read that they work with ECos and pass through RailCom, so they should be OK with my CS3. My layout is not too big (around the walls 9' x 15') and I'll probably only run a few trains. I have both the smaller power supply as well as the larger one (and a booster for that). I just wanted to try some automation and Marklin makes that pretty easy because it's all one system. And, of course, the trains are cool.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by trentschler
Offline rbw993  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2021 20:58:16(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Mfx is not DCC. It is Marklin's own command control implementation. DCC has some standards that are different. Too complex too get into but they can exist together on a layout.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 14 April 2021 21:16:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Correct, and the CS3, and MS2 sold for Trix (and cs3 for LGB except power pack) are identical. Both multi protocol. You can even run other brands of locomotives, ESU, Piko, Roco, etc if DCC equiped. You only need to manually enter the loco into your CS3 once. The Roco Z21 cab driver function will only work with a Z21, or possibly an ESU Ecos. The marklin mfx software/firmware and CS3 is not Railcom compliant. If you desire the "world of operation" feature, you have to buy a Marklin locomotive.
Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 14 April 2021 21:28:20(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hi Tony,

First and foremost welcome to the world of Märklin model trains. Running Märklin model trains is like you’re in the land of Oz! Forget about two rail wiring and all the hassles back in Kansas! With that said, utilizing the PSX circuit breakers for a Märklin layout is not necessary as both the CS3 and or ECoS have short circuit protection built in. If you separate your layout to use boosters then you add more built in short circuit protection.

Two rail DCC wiring for shorts would warrant the PSX circuit protection but for three rail MFX/DCC not so as the possibilities of short circuits are minimized due to the configuration of Märklin track.

Offline trentschler  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2021 21:31:14(UTC)
trentschler

United States   
Of course. I doubt mfx protocol would trip the PSX but to avoid any unknowns, I could just bypass the circuit breakers. My wiring is pretty modular so not a big deal. Or, I could just run DCC only but then miss out on the mfx features.
Offline michelvr  
#8 Posted : 14 April 2021 21:41:30(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
If you are using the new Märklin locomotives you have the option to run them either MFX or DCC. Märklin has only been doing this for a few years now. But to get all the features of Märklin you need to use MFX. For example please read the link I provided for you below.

https://www.maerklin.de/...model-train-control/mfx/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr