Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline luckas  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2021 05:22:55(UTC)
luckas

Hello friends,

I'm commissioning a new CS3 and retiring my 20 year old 6021. So far so good. My modest layout has 'responded well' to the upheaval. Apologies for the random questions below.

I have a 7286 turntable working in analogue mode with track power from the CS3, and switch power (yellow and brown) via my old 6002 transformer. It seems to work perfectly fine, but I haven't deliberately created a common ground between the CS3 and 6002. Should I do this, or is this already happening via the circuit board on the turntable?

My 2003 insider model (BR 103) shows one pantograph symbol in the function list, but the other is labelled "F3". Can this 'icon' be changed (obviously not a show stopper, just curious)?

When I added my loks I did not use the programming track. Along with my MM loks, the CS3 found my three MFX loks and assigned the addresses and functions without problem, so I guess I'm asking, what's the purpose of the programming track?

I've been experimenting with some simple non-contact track events, using the timing features. Sometimes the 'timing' is not quite right, especially over longer (+20 second) lok movements. Yes I know, I really should be using contact tracks, but for the time being any tips on using 'timed events' would be interesting.

Many thanks,

Paul

Edited by user 11 April 2021 10:14:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline bph  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2021 11:27:12(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: luckas Go to Quoted Post
Hello friends,

I'm commissioning a new CS3 and retiring my 20 year old 6021. So far so good. My modest layout has 'responded well' to the upheaval. Apologies for the random questions below.

Gratulations with your new cs3. it's a nice upgrade. (you have the option of still using your 6021 with the CS3 using Märklin 60128 Connect-6021)
I leave some questions to others, as some here is really good at the other questions

My 2003 insider model (BR 103) shows one pantograph symbol in the function list, but the other is labelled "F3". Can this 'icon' be changed (obviously not a show stopper, just curious)?

Yes, just enter "edit locomotives" and then click on the middle tab, "Set Up" then just click on an icon on the left. and you should see this window
cs3_screenshot_2021_04_11_08_23_13.png
I'm curious to know if there is an exact engine catalogue number for the BR E 40 included in the 29855 starter kit (from 20 years ago). I've found one in the database that is close, and seems to provide what I need (so again, just curious to know if there's a better way to add old loks from starter kits).

not really, but you can enter it all by yourself. or you can change a database entry to suit your locomotive.
When I added my loks I did not use the programming track. Along with my MM loks, the CS3 found my three MFX loks and assigned the addresses and functions without problem, so I guess I'm asking, what's the purpose of the programming track?

It's for ensuring that programing a locomotive only affects that single locomotive on the programming track. some programming can be done on the main track (PoM). but until you get comfortable with your cs3 I recommend that you use the programming track when you edit a locomotive. And also firmware updates of mfx locomotives must be done on the programming track.

And keep in mind, Marklin recommends turning of protocols that you are not using. so E.G. if you are not using DCC at the moment turn it off (on the CS3). Most (all?) 1st gen mfx decoders do not support DCC, and even some mfx+ do not support DCC. Obviously, you are using MM so don't turn that off. There are some strong opinions about this around on the web, so do some tests, and do whats suits you best.
(personally, I have DCC disabled (for now) as I have around 20 mfx locomotives without DCC support, and I have still not encountered a single mfx issue on the CS3. If I need DCC in the future I will of course enable it.)
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2021 12:26:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
so I guess I'm asking, what's the purpose of the programming track?

The programming track is a requirement for programming DCC locomotives. You can also use it to search for a decoder address on a non-mfx equipped marklin loco if the address is forgotton. I think you also need to use the programming track to change the address of an fx decoder (one without DIP switches).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
bph
Offline luckas  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2021 13:11:26(UTC)
luckas

Thank you both. I'm learning a great deal (and enjoying the process immensely).

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by luckas
bph