Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Biggles  
#1 Posted : 25 March 2021 07:24:01(UTC)
Biggles

Australia   
I have two old 1950's Marklin shunting locos. One was running well but now is making an intermittent grinding noise and is hesitating when running. Have replaced brushes and given it a good clean and oiling. No change
the other runs fine but will not reverse from forward, but will forward from reverse! Any tips please.
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 25 March 2021 09:51:14(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hi Biggles, you need to show us some photos. For locomotives that old, the gears may have been run down, and no amount of cleaning and oiling can fix that.
If the gears look fine (all of them!) and there´s no missing teeths, then you might have missed oiling in some critical place.

About the reversing; Check that the spring is there (I am supposing that the loco has an electro-mechanical reversing mechanism, but for such an old loco I dont really know ;-). Check that nothing is bend, and check that no cable has come loose from its soldering-pad. Again; photos would help! (You have to remove the housing, of course...)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Rocca  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2021 12:26:24(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hi, Biggles, the grinding noise looks like your loco some good oiling, but not much. In the worst case, you'd need to clean the rotor, but I don't think it is your case. I needed only once in 30 years or more with Märklin. About the reverse you need just to adjust the tension of the spring in the unit. you can find suggestion in the "Märklin Ratgeber". I'll try to send you picture, but I need to find the book...so, please, wait for me discovering it among my library. Have a nice day
Stefano

Originally Posted by: Biggles Go to Quoted Post
I have two old 1950's Marklin shunting locos. One was running well but now is making an intermittent grinding noise and is hesitating when running. Have replaced brushes and given it a good clean and oiling. No change
the other runs fine but will not reverse from forward, but will forward from reverse! Any tips please.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rocca
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2021 20:05:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
BigGrin
Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Biggles, the grinding noise looks like your loco some good oiling, but not much. In the worst case, you'd need to clean the rotor, but I don't think it is your case. I needed only once in 30 years or more with Märklin. About the reverse you need just to adjust the tension of the spring in the unit. you can find suggestion in the "Märklin Ratgeber". I'll try to send you picture, but I need to find the book...so, please, wait for me discovering it among my library. Have a nice day
Stefano

Oh, you're Paisan! Me too, second generation American Italian. Abruzzi, Civitella Roveto, near Avezzano.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Biggles  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2021 08:48:05(UTC)
Biggles

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
BigGrin
Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post
Stefano

Oh, you're Paisan! Me too, second generation American Italian. Abruzzi, Civitella Roveto, near Avezzano.

Grinding noise fixed - motor needed a good cleaning, including the rotor. Runs well, but it will only run in one direction even using the manual reverse. It turns the contact drum but nothing happens except it buzzes. - with the activating arm staying open. ????
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2021 15:12:26(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Grinding noise fixed - motor needed a good cleaning, including the rotor. Runs well, but it will only run in one direction even using the manual reverse. It turns the contact drum but nothing happens except it buzzes. - with the activating arm staying open. ????

This probably means that one of the contacts on the drum is not touching it (or that the corresponding wire is broken)
Please see below the 2 most common reverse units (Umschalter / Schaltautomat)
Reverse units.jpg
Sometime it is easier to adjust the contacts while the drum is removed. Attention not to break the coil return wire when unscrewing the relay.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Bryan  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2021 07:51:23(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear Jean

Could you tell us what publication the reverse units came out of. This looks like a factory service manual of the 1950's.
What does the front cover look like and are they ever found on Ebay.

regards
David
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2021 11:17:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi David,
This is coming from a large reprint book of Märklin service sheets
Title 1953-1980 Märklin Einzelteillisten (Ersatzteilblätter) Märklin HO Bahnen
Format A4

Editor Eigenverlag K.H.Altstaed
Sans titre.png (6,097kb) downloaded 22 time(s).
Cheers
Jean
Offline marklin81  
#9 Posted : 30 March 2021 15:01:10(UTC)
marklin81

United States   
"Grinding noise fixed - motor needed a good cleaning, including the rotor. Runs well, but it will only run in one direction even using the manual reverse. It turns the contact drum but nothing happens except it buzzes. - with the activating arm staying open. ????"

Biggles,

I recently went through this same scenario with a TM800. It came down to the short section of wire that connects the connects the field coil windings to the brush. The black "insulation" actually covers two wires, and one of them was no longer soldered to the brush connection. It probably separated when I removed the armature housing to remove carbon deposits.

As with your locomotive, forward worked fine, the reversing unit cycled properly, but no reverse. Cycling the reversing unit again got the locomotive moving forward.

It was a relatively easy fix, but I needed a magnifying glass and a fine tip on the soldering iron to ensure a good connection.

Best of luck.

Pat