Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ace Wickwire  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2021 16:50:02(UTC)
Ace Wickwire

United States   
Guessing this a basic question but will ask anyway.

Have one set of wheels that aren't spinning nicely like the others. These all are basically new cars with little use. I've heard that not a bad idea to oil new rolling stock anyway.

How do I service the wheels and axels on rolling stock. Do I remove them from the car? If so, do they just pull away from the truck? Pull them out with needle nose pliers. Drop of LaBelle 108 on the inside or outside of wheel at axel? If pull out from truck then just press straight down to reseat after oiling? Do I need to remove to oil? Any recommendations are appreciated. I did a search on YouTube for this but didn't really see anything. If there is a good video that would be great also.

Thanks,
Offline michelvr  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2021 18:48:43(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Ace Wickwire Go to Quoted Post
Guessing this a basic question but will ask anyway.

Have one set of wheels that aren't spinning nicely like the others. These all are basically new cars with little use. I've heard that not a bad idea to oil new rolling stock anyway.

How do I service the wheels and axels on rolling stock. Do I remove them from the car? If so, do they just pull away from the truck? Pull them out with needle nose pliers. Drop of LaBelle 108 on the inside or outside of wheel at axel? If pull out from truck then just press straight down to reseat after oiling? Do I need to remove to oil? Any recommendations are appreciated. I did a search on YouTube for this but didn't really see anything. If there is a good video that would be great also.

Thanks,

No matter how basic the question might be we are here to help. So if I may say, it’s actually recommended to oil the axles on new rolling stock. Just use the tip of the needle from the LaBelle 108 and add a drop of oil into the axle ends and you are done. There is no need to take the wheels out. One drop is more than enough and if by chance you used more please wipe it up with a piece of absorbent paper towel. Most of all neatness counts as over oiling is not good for the rolling stock and tracks. It’s important as a little drop of oil will do!

BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Copenhagen  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2021 19:15:02(UTC)
Copenhagen

On lots of rolling stock the bearings and bogies are made of flexible plastic so that it's quite easy to get the wheels out just by using your thumbnail. That way you can apply a small drop of oil in just the right place and at the same time check for dirt and grime. Sometimes it's stiff plastic or there is metal involved, or the whole thing is cast in metal, which can make it harder to remove the wheels - there can also be parts of the bodywork that makes it difficult to remove the wheels so you have to be careful not to destroy anything. If there is enough room between the wheel and bearing so that you can be sure that the oil is getting to the right place, and everything looks clean, then you don't have take the wheels off of course.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2021 20:47:42(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, and some need no oil because they don't stay in the bogie truck out of the box. Ie; the first issue Marklin Essen Hesse double deck commuter cars. I've even had a few bogies replaced under warranty. Still no better. I even tried squeezing the sides together tighter with the wheels removed. Delrin plastic is very flexible. Also the olny cyanacrolate cement that worls well on it is the old original goopy yellow color contact cement. DAP Weldwood today. It's the stuff used for Formica laminating on counter tops.
It's all that will work on a Herpa semi truck tractor kingpin when they snap off, or the spare tire underneath.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999