Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2021 01:15:53(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

I've acquired a lot of 2205 flex track. I'm planning a somewhat permanent layout. In the meantime, I've had a lot of fun experimenting with discovering the "ideal" curve/radius for what Märklin in its 2010 catalog calls "sweeping" curves. This is of course a completely subjective quality. At the moment, I've decided it is exactly 1.07 meters or 3.5 feet! I have more space than that if needed, up to 1.83 meters. But even my longer trains don't need any more than a 3.5 foot radius to look sweeping, prototypical, and beautiful. What do y'all think? If you had all the room in the world, how big would you make your curves? I was surprised at how narrow the window was for my own idea of perfection. 3.5 feet was JUST RIGHT! Reminds me of nature's golden mean and perfect ratio, etc. Also reminds me of actually riding passenger trains all over Europe from 1958 to 1968. A long train on a long curve is a very graceful thing to behold.
Regards,
Tommy

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tommyheadleycox
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2021 02:24:07(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
make 'em as big as you have space!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2021 06:50:35(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
IMHO, that is not the 100% right way to look at it.
OF COURSE you should make the curve as big as your space allow it, but MUCH MORE important is it to use EASEMENTS on the entry and exit of the curve.
It is the gradual curvature of the track that makes the trains go "beautifully" through the curves.
There´s nothing nice about a train travelling at 160 scale km/h, going from straight track and directly to an R-1m curve!
WIth easements you could even go through an R-80cm curve in around the same space, and it will look better. (Try it...)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2021 13:48:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: tommyheadleycox Go to Quoted Post
I've acquired a lot of 2205 flex track. I'm planning a somewhat permanent layout. In the meantime, I've had a lot of fun experimenting with discovering the "ideal" curve/radius for what Märklin in its 2010 catalog calls "sweeping" curves. This is of course a completely subjective quality. At the moment, I've decided it is exactly 1.07 meters or 3.5 feet! I have more space than that if needed, up to 1.83 meters.

Well, lets see, 3.5 feet * 87 is eqivalent to 304.5 feet. 1.07m *87 = 93.09m. 1.83m * 87 = 159.21m.

Yep, those those would be reasonable prototypical curves ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2021 15:18:51(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
The best and most prototypical is the "parabolic" curve.
On model layouts we can only suggest this and IMO the best is to hide the sharp cuves (under tunnels, with trees).

Cheers
Jean
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2021 20:27:20(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
I used to know some people in road engineering, and they spoke of "clothoids". See Wikipedia.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline perz  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2021 22:32:02(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Hi,

Some diversion from the topic, but regarding "clothoids" it is true that it is used sometimes in road construction. I worked at the Swedish road administration for some time, many many years ago. The "clothoids" were mainly useful for entrances to highways. The radius increases the further you get. Then, when you accelerate out onto the highway you get an almost constant centripetal force, which feels nice.

However, on highway exits, they were not used. There, you had a sharp radius directly. The reason was that the "clothoid" would fool the driver to think that he/she could take the curve in too high speed. So it was dangerous. Sweden changed from left-hand traffic to right-hand traffic in 1967, and then the highway entries became exits and vice versa. It resulted in a lot of accidents where people ran off road at highway exits, so they had to change the exits. In the 70's when I worked at the road administration there were still some highway exits that weren't fixed yet. I was very close to going off road once myself in such a place, I slipped on all 4 wheels but managed to get control over it. Now it is fixed everywhere, I think.

Regards
Per
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by perz
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2021 22:33:03(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post
I used to know some people in road engineering, and they spoke of "clothoids". See Wikipedia.

Interested but it does have no effect for the model railway since we are talking about limit space of the curves when you use long coaches.
The tighter curves the bigger problem for the train models.
The bigger curves the better for the trains.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2021 22:42:46(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: tommyheadleycox Go to Quoted Post
I've acquired a lot of 2205 flex track. I'm planning a somewhat permanent layout. In the meantime, I've had a lot of fun experimenting with discovering the "ideal" curve/radius for what Märklin in its 2010 catalog calls "sweeping" curves. This is of course a completely subjective quality. At the moment, I've decided it is exactly 1.07 meters or 3.5 feet! I have more space than that if needed, up to 1.83 meters. But even my longer trains don't need any more than a 3.5 foot radius to look sweeping, prototypical, and beautiful. What do y'all think? If you had all the room in the world, how big would you make your curves? I was surprised at how narrow the window was for my own idea of perfection. 3.5 feet was JUST RIGHT! Reminds me of nature's golden mean and perfect ratio, etc. Also reminds me of actually riding passenger trains all over Europe from 1958 to 1968. A long train on a long curve is a very graceful thing to behold.
Regards,
Tommy

A simple way out to find good curves are to use same curve radii like long turnouts 22715 and 22716.
The turnout 2265 and 2266 do have same curve radii like 2231, but i see those curve radii are still too narrow.
So for me i believe the curve radii are best at least 900 mm!
With that of the curve radii you have close to realist traffic like prototype.

H0
Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 17 March 2021 08:25:54(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
...it does have no effect for the model railway ...

Au contraire! Easements result in a nicer appearance of long cars entering a tight curve by reducing the lurch:

“Appearance-wise, trains don’t look too good just standing on sharply curved track. It’s that lurch as the cars enter into a curve, though, that changes what should be the smooth gliding of a serpent-like train into something more like the amusement park Whip.”
Source: Armstrong, John H. (2001). The classic layout designs of John Armstrong, pg. 14 ff.

And the lurch reduction effect of an easement is greater for a tight curve than for a broad curve.

Therefore it matters in our MRR world.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#11 Posted : 17 March 2021 10:50:51(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Well, lets see, 3.5 feet * 87 is eqivalent to 304.5 feet. 1.07m *87 = 93.09m. 1.83m * 87 = 159.21m.

Yep, those those would be reasonable prototypical curves ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

The Maerklin R9 curve radius measures ca. 97 m in the 87/1 world.

According to current standards, minimum radii in Germany are:
300 m on a main line;
180 m on a branch line where main line equipment is expected to operate;
100 m on a branch line, where no main line equipment is expected to operate;
35 m on an "industry switching spur".
For the latter, precautionary measures are needed regarding construction and maximum speed.

Source: http://www.gleisbau-welt...vermessung/geometrie.htm

And some more info by forum member Tom aka H0:
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
AFAIK the sharpest curve between Rhine and Cologne Central Station is 151 m. And I think it counts as a main line.
I don't know where the limit is for 26.4/27.5 m coaches, but 151 m probably is close.

BR 182 have a minimum radius of 120 m.
BR 189 have a minimum radius of 80 m.

200 m is tight. Too tight for high speed.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 17 March 2021 20:00:42(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Au contraire! Easements result in a nicer appearance of long cars entering a tight curve by reducing the lurch

I'm sure most members here understands and agrees BigGrin

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline dominator  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2021 20:24:03(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Great subject. Its really got my curiosity.

Alsterstreek, are you able to check the address here Source: http://www.gleisbau-welt...vermessung/geometrie.htm As it is not available from my end.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Purellum  
#14 Posted : 17 March 2021 20:54:12(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Alsterstreek, are you able to check the address here

I think you're missing ".de" in your link, I can't make it work Blink

But I can find the homepage, and maybe you can now find the page in question: https://www.gleisbau-welt.de

Or: https://www.gleisbau-wel...leisvermessung/vormessen

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Alsterstreek  
#15 Posted : 18 March 2021 00:15:52(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
It is indeed difficult to navigate on that website, which contains a nice overview, but I also cannot retrieve the table right now. Anyway, art. 6 (1) of the German Eisenbahnbetriebsordnung (EBO) stipulates a minimum radius of 300 m on main lines and 180 m on branch lines:
https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/ebo/__6.html
Offline Goofy  
#16 Posted : 18 March 2021 09:23:11(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

Au contraire! Easements result in a nicer appearance of long cars entering a tight curve by reducing the lurch:

“Appearance-wise, trains don’t look too good just standing on sharply curved track. It’s that lurch as the cars enter into a curve, though, that changes what should be the smooth gliding of a serpent-like train into something more like the amusement park Whip.”
Source: Armstrong, John H. (2001). The classic layout designs of John Armstrong, pg. 14 ff.

And the lurch reduction effect of an easement is greater for a tight curve than for a broad curve.

Therefore it matters in our MRR world.

I did also wrote the tighter curves the bigger problem for the trains model.
Even Märklin recommended customer to use larger curve radii when you use long coaches and locomotives like Big Boy.
In fact does small curve radii make some problem, so yes it does matter in our MM world. Flapper

H0
Offline Purellum  
#17 Posted : 18 March 2021 12:31:18(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

..................... so yes it does matter in our MM world. Flapper

I think you're arguing with yourself here, and not really getting to the point of the argument LOL Laugh LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 18 March 2021 14:45:31(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

..................... so yes it does matter in our MM world. Flapper

I think you're arguing with yourself here, and not really getting to the point of the argument LOL Laugh LOL

Per.

Cool

I am not sure he knows what the point is anyway .. Confused Confused Confused
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 19 March 2021 17:17:20(UTC)
Goofy

You split word sentences by deviating on what the thread is about.
The thread is about what is the most beautiful radius for the model railway.
Märklin is known for making track curves too tight so that it deviates from after prototype track laying.
Even carriages (Märklin 28,3 cm) are not scale imaged correctly in length, precisely because of tight curves.
Märklins track curves 2221, 2231, 2241 and 2251 are not correct scale and not even beautiful curves while 2274 it does get close to prototype for the curves.
H0
Offline DaleSchultz  
#20 Posted : 19 March 2021 17:23:50(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
goofy, does it not occur to you that since almost every post you make results in arguments, that you are maybe, just maybe, missing a lot in translation?
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Goofy  
#21 Posted : 20 March 2021 06:21:39(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
goofy, does it not occur to you that since almost every post you make results in arguments, that you are maybe, just maybe, missing a lot in translation?

How many of you have not complained about tight curves in connection with train problems?
TS asked a question about what is your most beautiful curve radius?
What is yours?
I did wrote about 900 mm which are ideal.

H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 20 March 2021 06:52:34(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I am not sure he knows what the point is anyway .. Confused Confused Confused

Maybe you should point out the point so that he gets the point! But, sometimes I wonder what would be the point in pointing the point out because he never gets the point!

Offline GG1 Fan  
#23 Posted : 24 March 2021 11:28:10(UTC)
GG1 Fan

I would like to post this picture and my highly subjective analysis.

UserPostedImage

Note the inside 'radius'. Marklin designers made this curvature so that 'table top RR' could actually fit on a dining room table in most homes. I know that in my home in the 1970's during the Christmas Holiday season, our dining room table was pressed into special RR service. The Crocodile locomotive can actually run on this tight inner track.

If I had more space, I would have included sidings, a rail yard, a decoupler area, all of it.

I have been told by 'experts' that Marklin engineers had to play a few tricks with the HO scale to allow for the tight inner curve.

Marklin, they allow you to use your imagination to its fullest!

For me, the 'Most beautiful radius' is the one that your train table space allows.

For my ideal 'Ultimate' setup, I would make a layout 4 times as large as the one above, have 4 or 5 rings of tracks with a rail yard in the center. I have seen videos of layouts with intersecting tracks, Local and Express lines, along with freight lines, all under automatic control of switches. It can run for hours without head on collisions (my attempt, first 30 min had a head on collision!)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GG1 Fan