Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Keyser  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2021 20:34:44(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
I have a 1960’s basic 3000 locomotive that had a decoder added in the 90’s. It has been cleaned in the last month and ran fine. Yesterday, It would not start unless pushed a little. But, even then when switched to reverse it would not run and then had to be push started once switched to forward operation. This is the original SFCM motor. I am guessing that it may be the decoder rather than the motor. Can anyone more knowledgeable in digital shed some possible light on this issue?
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2021 04:31:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
1) Does the light work?

If yes, you are still getting power
If no, there may be a power issue

Is there any noise when power is applied? Does it change when the speed is increased?

You said that you cleaned it in the last month?

2) What did you clean? Did you clean the motor, gears and brush holders?
Did you apply oil as per instructions?

3) Was it run in after the cleaning or did it go right back in the box?

It could be an oil issue. It could also be related to the rods, which might be impeding movement.
4) Once pushed, how long does it keep running for?

I don't think it is a decoder issue, because a decoder either works or it does not.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Keyser  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2021 06:37:23(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
Yes the lights work. Until it has been reversed. Then when going back to forward (the only lights that is has are in front) the lights do not work. As if it is not getting any power. No noise when power is applied. Until it starts to run. Then normal sounds for the speed. I cleaned the commutator, the housing, the brushes along with the brush holders and applied one drop of oil to each motor bearing and then the gears. Then it was run around the track and has stayed on the track since, being run almost every day. Once running, either forward or backward, it will continue to run at medium speed. At slower speeds it has problems with certain parts of the track. Always the same places. The other three locomotives do not have issues on these sections of track. The pick-up for the third rail does have some indentations at the very front and rear of the pick-up. This is the oldest locomotive that I have and I do not remember it ever having been replaced. I am starting to think that the pick-up may be the culprit as no other locomotives have any indentations. While the center of the pickup should be making contact even if the front and rear sections may not, maybe there are portions of track that have low center studs in these places and it is not getting power at these points due to the wear on the pick-up shoe. I cannot tell that this is so. But, the center studs may not be off by much and the indentations are not picking up power as well. That would explain why it does not cross these sections at slow speed. But does at medium to fast speed. Because momentum cars it a or the bad section. Does that sound plausible? It still would not answer why setting the locomotive to reverse, at any point in the track would kill the power. Or, why the other three locomotives do not have this problem even at slow speeds. Whether that is the problem, or not, I have a new pick-up on order to test this theory. It just seems strange that it started doing this all at once.
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2021 08:31:23(UTC)
Goofy

Well...any thing can happens with Märklin trains specially old train models with 30-40 years old.
Even Märklin tracks must clean often to avoid grease on the locomotives and wagons.
I suggest you to return your locomotives to Märklin in Germany to fix it everything.
But it cost and you save money to buy new locomotive instead.
It´s not cheap to have model railway as hobby.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2021 12:20:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
As you have cleaned it did you put the brushes back in the motor?

A common mistake reported several times in this forum ...

Offline Copenhagen  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2021 15:06:40(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
As you have cleaned it did you put the brushes back in the motor?

A common mistake reported several times in this forum ...

But would it run at all without brushes? As I read it the problem is that it sometimes runs, sometimes doesn't?
Offline Keyser  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2021 15:35:26(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
Brushes are in the motor. It has been running fine and this is a new problem after having been run for 3-4 weeks after the cleaning. This is the one that my parents gave me so it has some sentimental value. If needed I will replace the motor and/or decoder. After I try the pick-up shoe. Thanks for your ideas.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2021 18:46:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
My assumption is that indeed the brushes (the loco would never move an inch without even one of them) are in place but provide poor contact (check if they are bent or if Brushes are worn out dirty).
Another possibility on old Märklin motors is that brushes are mixed The spring ending with a 90° angle pin is for the wire brush whilethe spring with a straight end goes into the graphite brush-in the grove)
If the loco runs only in one direction it means that only one of the 2 coil windings is broken.
After a complete motor cleaning it may happen that one of the 2 tiny wires soldered on one of the brush-holders is broken (they are very fragile)
Cheers
Jean
Offline Keyser  
#9 Posted : 07 March 2021 23:19:25(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
Thank you for possible fixes. But, the brushes are in the correct holes and it will run in reverse. Just not without a push. It starts out running forward, wil not reverse and then typically wil not then go forward when reversed again. At that point the lights are not on even when going forward. It is like the peer has been cut when I attempt to switch to backward running. I will however try me brushes.
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2021 04:55:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
when you said you've cleaned the motor what di you actually do ? did you clean the armature, make sure the reversing unit spring is in order, have you checked the wiring ? does the brush springs have the right tension ?
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Keyser  
#11 Posted : 08 March 2021 05:12:37(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
when you said you've cleaned the motor what di you actually do ? did you clean the armature — yes, took the motor apart, cleaned the housing, commutator, gaps between three separate plates (SFCM) and brushes

make sure the reversing unit spring is in order —. No reversing spring as this locomotive has a decoder

have you checked the wiring ? — No, but it ran for almost a month after cleaning in both forward and reverse and it runs now after giving it a nudge. Unless the wiring is separating when becoming hot, I doubt that is the reason. And it only stops running after being switched to reverse

does the brush springs have the right tension ? — there is tension on the brushes. How do you measure the correct tension? I doubt that my trigger gauge would register the tension on the brush springs
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 08 March 2021 05:32:03(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Here are a few questions:

1) What kind of decoder was used? 6080? 6090? or newer? Was the magnet changed when it was converted?

2) What digital system are you using? 6036, 6021, MS, MS2, CS, CS2, CS3?

3) Do you have an analog transformer? Have you tested it on an analog track?

4) Can you disconnect the motor from the decoder and test it directly (with AC or DC as required)?

5) Has the smell changed? If the brushes are not properly seated, you will smell burning carbon and/or oil?

Here are things to check:
Is the slider straight. It may be making better contact in one direction than the other
Check the brushes and the tension spring

I don't think that the decoder would not work properly in one direction.
I am leaning towards a mechanical problem.
I am also curious as to whether the ground is wired directly between the decoder and the motor or whether it still uses the chassis for return?

Regards

Mike C

Offline JohnjeanB  
#13 Posted : 08 March 2021 11:45:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
May be this video on maintenance of a Märklin 3000 loco could help

Cheers
Jean
Offline Keyser  
#14 Posted : 08 March 2021 14:21:01(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
1) What kind of decoder was used? 6080? 6090? or newer? — I am not at home until Wednesday, I do not know the answer to your question, it has 8 dipswitches

Was the magnet changed when it was converted? — I do not know. It was done by a shop over 20 years ago

2) What digital system are you using? 6036, 6021, MS, MS2, CS, CS2, CS3? 6023

3) Do you have an analog transformer? Yes
Have you tested it on an analog track? No

4) Can you disconnect the motor from the decoder and test it directly (with AC or DC as required)? — probably If someone could tell me the best way to do that

5) Has the smell changed? If the brushes are not properly seated, you will smell burning carbon and/or oil? No smell and the loco ran just fine for almost a month

Here are things to check:
Is the slider straight. It may be making better contact in one direction than the other. — Yes it is straight
Check the brushes and the tension spring —. Springs have tension. As stated above, I do not know how to test the tension, brushes look good

I don't think that the decoder would not work properly in one direction.
I am leaning towards a mechanical problem.
I am also curious as to whether the ground is wired directly between the decoder and the motor or whether it still uses the chassis for return? I will have to check when I get home. I think the chassis. But, i am not sure. As I keep stating it ran correctly for almost a month before this issue appeared. I changed nothing when this problem started. So however it is wired. It has worked for over 20 years. Granting that I have only run it intermittently during that time.
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 09 March 2021 04:52:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If I remember my 3000, it had one bulb at the front with three headlights and the tender had 3 silver painted headlights, but there was no bulb or light channel for the rear lights.

This is in German, but might be helpful:

Do you have an analog transformer (white) that you can test it with?

I am wondering what kind of oil you used. Is it possible that the oil has congealed during the past month?

I need to ask whether your model is the older one with the round brushes or is the 1970s to 1990s one with the rectangular brushes?
I guess that the first question is was the correct brush replaced on the correct side?
With one of my Re 4/4IIs (34341), there was too much tension on the brushes and it worked like new once I pulled back on the little spring (wire) that was pressing on the right brush.

You said that there was no unusual smell (no burnt oil, no carbon smell). That should be a good sign.
When you cleaned the motor, did you remove/handle the rotor? If one of the wires was damaged, it could have burnt out over the month and is now no longer properly functioning.

I am also wondering whether the rods may not be straight and maybe causing resistance when the motor is trying to start to move. If you remove the rotor, you can test to see whether the model rolls freely when gently pushed or pulled by another locomotive.

Do you have three or four new or relatively unused sections of track. Can you connect this to your transformer and test the locomotive on that track.
That will hopefully remove any track issues as potential causes.

If you are still having trouble and you are from Washington, TX, get in touch with Armando in Houston. Perhaps he can help you by phone.
There used to be a dealer in College Station, but I don't see them on the list any more.
The closest one I could recommend would be AJCKids, but I know that is a few hours drive.

Can you post a photo of the model with the top off (internals) as well as a photo of the underside?

I asked Jacques Vuyes if he might be able to contribute to this topic.

Thanks

Mike C
Offline jvuye  
#16 Posted : 09 March 2021 11:15:53(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Keyser Go to Quoted Post
when you said you've cleaned the motor what di you actually do ? did you clean the armature — yes, took the motor apart, cleaned the housing, commutator, gaps between three separate plates (SFCM) and brushes

make sure the reversing unit spring is in order —. No reversing spring as this locomotive has a decoder

have you checked the wiring ? — No, but it ran for almost a month after cleaning in both forward and reverse and it runs now after giving it a nudge. Unless the wiring is separating when becoming hot, I doubt that is the reason. And it only stops running after being switched to reverse

does the brush springs have the right tension ? — there is tension on the brushes. How do you measure the correct tension? I doubt that my trigger gauge would register the tension on the brush springs

May I present a simple suggestion?

Can you give us 3 (sharp) pictures of the loco, with the body off?
One from port, one from starboard and one from the top?

Then please take the two brushes out and take a good picture of them too.

Let's stop speculating and diagnose the actual problem.

Cheers

Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline DaleSchultz  
#17 Posted : 09 March 2021 15:03:26(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
change the slider
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline rhfil  
#18 Posted : 09 March 2021 16:53:03(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Also check corrosion on the wheels. If the wheels that make contact with the tracks have corrosion on them it might explain what is happening. Pushing the loco moves the wheels slightly to make contact and contact is continued as long as the wheels are moving but ends as soon as the wheels stop turning.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Keyser  
#19 Posted : 09 March 2021 21:46:49(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
[img]Her are the shots of the 3000 locomotive. The shop that did this connected the 6080 decoder to the existing wires instead of replacing the Irgun all black wires completely. Therefore the green wire that shows in the pictures as a ground is attached to the brown wire from the decoder. The grey wire for the rear light is unattached since there is no rear light. The blue and green wires are attached to the two black wires from the coil. Again, this locomotive was running correctly until just the other day.

62C2F339-9DEA-4E78-B354-1EA35AF842B9.jpeg6AE78F25-219F-46CD-9E8A-B663B61C3617.jpegA0C5F13F-6CA3-47FF-92EB-0D7747E5373A.jpeg340F5461-FADA-4F5A-B57C-3974D400487F.jpeg

If the photos do not come through someone will have to tell me how to do so.
Offline Copenhagen  
#20 Posted : 09 March 2021 21:56:31(UTC)
Copenhagen

On the third picture; isn't there a screw, or something, missing on the wire to the right brush? (Whether it matters anything or not I don't know).
Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 09 March 2021 22:33:40(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I noticed one spot that might need a little lubrication

resource.ashx.jpeg

Based on the photos, I agree that the slider has seen better days and may not be making full contact with the studs.

Mike C
Offline jvuye  
#22 Posted : 09 March 2021 23:45:45(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
[img]Her are the shots of the 3000 locomotive. The shop that did this connected the 6080 decoder to the existing wires instead of replacing the Irgun all black wires completely. Therefore the green wire that shows in the pictures as a ground is attached to the brown wire from the decoder. The grey wire for the rear light is unattached since there is no rear light. The blue and green wires are attached to the two black wires from the coil. Again, this locomotive was running correctly until just the other day.

If the photos do not come through someone will have to tell me how to do so.

Ok
To me it seems very clear .
The green wire should definitely **not** be connected (via the screw) to the chassis, unless it is a piece of extension of another one (as you seem to say, an extension of teh brown wire) .
That should be the connection for the brown wire (the "ground" or chassis connection of the decoder)
On the other hand the second black wire coming from the field coils is not connected to anything.
This is whre the green should be connected .
So while you were cleaning it up, you may probably inadvertently have swapped the green and brown wire (unless again the visible piece of green to the screw is in fact an extension of the decoder's brown) .
That should do it .
I just hope the decoder did not get fried in the process
Good luck!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#23 Posted : 09 March 2021 23:51:05(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Last thing: looking at the third picture, the capacitor (the brown "pearl" is a potential short circuit hazard, it should not be placed like that.
And it could potentially interfere with the brushes' springs.
That may be the problem,
Those capacitors are really of no use today, so you can just cut them out!
Offline fkowal  
#24 Posted : 10 March 2021 03:25:34(UTC)
fkowal

Canada   
Curious, I am having similar problems with my 3105. It has the same motor but with a Lokpilot V3 and permanent magnet. It would not run, smoke coming from motor. Disassembled the motor, removed brushes, ensured free movement to gear train, lubricanted, touched up both brushes with a fine file to remove any burned debris, and reassembled. Runs very well now, BUT, it needs a nudge to start moving. Light is on. Once moving, all is fine. Track is good, no problems with other locos.

It may be a simple problem of worn brushes. I will replace mine before attempting anything else. Based on the photo from the 3000 loco, new brushes would not hurt either. Try that before undertaking more radical measures.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 10 March 2021 10:37:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I suggest you to return your locomotives to Märklin in Germany to fix it everything.

So, as I read it you are suggesting the original poster sends a 60 year old 3000 locomotive back to Marklin for repair.

OK................LOL

Let us know how that works out for you.....

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline jvuye  
#26 Posted : 10 March 2021 20:47:09(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

So, as I read it you are suggesting the original poster sends a 60 year old 3000 locomotive back to Marklin for repair.

OK................LOL

How do you pronounce "dwork"??

Offline Keyser  
#27 Posted : 10 March 2021 20:49:57(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
Jvuye

The green wire is an extension of the brown for the ground. The decoder green and blue are connected to opposite sides of the coil. The shop that did this 20 years ago connected the decoder wires to the existing wires instead of hooking the decoder wires directly to where they need to go. I am getting set to rectify that and clean up the connections.

The capacitor arms are under the brush springs and do not contact them. Regardless, I will take them off if they are not required. Is it just the one under the brush springs that is superfluous? Or can both of them be removed?

I am also ordering a new slider and brushes to bring them up to new.

Thank you for your input. I have this one and a 3034 locomotive that are both 60 years old and have sentimental value
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Keyser
Offline DTaylor91  
#28 Posted : 10 March 2021 22:12:44(UTC)
DTaylor91

With its age, I wonder if there is undue friction and wear on the piston rods. Perhaps a touch of oil or very light grease on each?
Offline Goofy  
#29 Posted : 11 March 2021 19:08:12(UTC)
Goofy

OK................LOL

What do you mean?
TS old 3000 has been renovate before too when somebody did add a decoder in the 90´s.
When i take look at the pictures i see a lot of grease on the locomotive that needs a new renovate again.
And i real mean 100% fix the locomotive.

H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#30 Posted : 12 March 2021 01:22:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
When i take look at the pictures i see a lot of grease on the locomotive that needs a new renovate again.
And i real mean 100% fix the locomotive.

What do you mean?

Sure the locomotive needs repairing, no one is disputing that.

But you suggesting a 60 year old 3000 loco should be sent back to Marklin for repair is ludicrous. Since when did the factory offer a repair service on 60 year old locos?

That's what I meant.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Goofy  
#31 Posted : 12 March 2021 09:28:29(UTC)
Goofy

Sure the locomotive needs repairing, no one is disputing that.

But you suggesting a 60 year old 3000 loco should be sent back to Marklin for repair is ludicrous. Since when did the factory offer a repair service on 60 year old locos?

That's what I meant.

No it is not ludicrous.
Either fix the problem by renovate or buy a new BR 89 for about 90 euro?
There is a new BR 89 itemnr 30000 for about 90 euro.

H0
Offline skeeterbuck  
#32 Posted : 12 March 2021 14:17:48(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
It sounds to me like it's more of a mechanical problem that electrical. Check if the gears rotate fine and the linkage is not binding up. Also as Dale suggest, I would recommend that the slider be changed out. The one in the pics looks very worn to me. (many miles of railroading fun!) It's not the decoder. You can check the electrical system by connecting the positive + lead to the slider and the negative - lead to the frame. By doing this you'll know for sure if it's an electrical or mechanical issue. If it runs fine after testing it can only be the track, slider or dirty wheels. Good luck and keep posting until it gets fixed. This is a simple issue and it's a good learning experience to know how to troubleshoot these types of problems on your own.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline Keyser  
#33 Posted : 12 March 2021 15:48:39(UTC)
Keyser

United States   
Thank you everyone. After taking the motor and decoder out i found the cuplrit. Two worn teeth on the gear shown below.
87545BF5-A0DD-4ADF-8B38-8328100D1DF5.jpeg
Does anyone know if this gear can still be found? I know it is not cost efficient. But, this one has sentimental value.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Keyser
Offline skeeterbuck  
#34 Posted : 12 March 2021 16:14:57(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Check here:

https://www.maerklin.de/...elnummer=3000&lang=2

Looks like it should be one of these three: Part number E218146, E230650 or E232450.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline skeeterbuck  
#35 Posted : 12 March 2021 16:48:05(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Try here for replacement part: http://ajckids.com/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline jvuye  
#36 Posted : 12 March 2021 17:59:32(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Thank you everyone. After taking the motor and decoder out i found the cuplrit. Two worn teeth on the gear shown below.
Does anyone know if this gear can still be found? I know it is not cost efficient. But, this one has sentimental value.

If you weren't that far, I'd give you these two wheels, free, and I'd even re-install them for you since it implies removal of the driving wheels and reassmbling which really implies you have a properly sized wheel puller and press with appropriate inserts and a quartering jig.
Maybe a long shot , but at least that's a bit more realistic than sending it back to Märklin. Laugh Laugh Laugh
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#37 Posted : 12 March 2021 18:35:11(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Here it is.

Part # 21677
Brand new , and it's the original design in metal.
Ready to go. It will be more useful to you than to me , since I don't do Märklin repairs anymore.

Ma3000_21677.jpg

If we can figure a way to get you the tools to do it properly, I'll help you with the tricks of the trade.
Can always drop this in a jiffy envelope.Wink
No need to do a double transatlantic voyage to Göppingen to fix it.
Cheers
Jacques
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#38 Posted : 12 March 2021 18:50:58(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: fkowal Go to Quoted Post
Curious, I am having similar problems with my 3105. It has the same motor but with a Lokpilot V3 and permanent magnet. It would not run, smoke coming from motor. Disassembled the motor, removed brushes, ensured free movement to gear train, lubricanted, touched up both brushes with a fine file to remove any burned debris, and reassembled. Runs very well now, BUT, it needs a nudge to start moving. Light is on. Once moving, all is fine. Track is good, no problems with other locos.

It may be a simple problem of worn brushes. I will replace mine before attempting anything else. Based on the photo from the 3000 loco, new brushes would not hurt either. Try that before undertaking more radical measures.

It may also be that the "smoke" was caused by an overheating and partial damage of the rotor, and the required "nudge" is a sign of three possible things
1° The brushes are worn, and need replacing or receive a little more pressure from the springs
2° one of the poles of the motor is disconnected because of the overheating episode has melted othe solder of the wires of the winding connections to the commutator/ or they are burned inside
You can diagnose this using an ohmeter testing the resistance between the commutator blades (with the rotor removed from the loco) it should read about 3 times the same value .
3° the commutator is dirty, and carbon residue shorts the blades

Hope this helps

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#39 Posted : 13 March 2021 02:45:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
No it is not ludicrous.
Either fix the problem by renovate or buy a new BR 89 for about 90 euro?
There is a new BR 89 itemnr 30000 for about 90 euro.

If you had properly read the thread and understood what the OP is requesting you would know that he wants to fix the loco because of its sentimental value, rather than spouting nonsense about sending 60 year old locos back to Marklin or suggesting the OP buys a new one when that isn't what he asked.

We have a saying here often attributed to Mark Twain - 'Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt!' I think it applies in this case.

BTW, the 30000 loco is currently not in stock at Marklin - you didn't check that either, did you?
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline dickinsonj  
#40 Posted : 14 March 2021 01:10:50(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
often attributed to Mark Twain - 'Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt!'
It is interesting how he so perfectly predicted the biggest problem in the online world - people's need to chime in, even when they have nothing to add. On some forums you can hardly hear the information for the noise - but you do a good job of keeping things on topic and civilized around here. ThumpUp

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj