Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2021 02:00:33(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
BigGrin Bear with me on my story please! I had to shelve my love of the hobby in 2008 due to the crash, recession, and unemployment. Some of you may recall me as Spitzenklasse. I wasn't able to log on as such.
Lot's has happened since. Though I did find employment again first time after a 31 year career, it was at less than half the gross, and benefits prior to. Some members here suggested moving to where the jobs were. That deemed not possible. Houses here were either not selling, or for a song. Many walked away from equity. We were not about to. Others were underwater in mortgage debt. We still had high school students as well soon entering college.
I gave the new company two years of service, and after repetedly asking for higher compensation was told it wasn't a good time three times.
I stuck it out until spring of 2011 at which time my mother became bed ridden due to a severe ankle fracture. She never walked again. She couldn't do the rehab. My dad couldn't care for her any longer, and she had to go into a memory care facility. Soon he fell more ill as well. I quit working to help him with general house chores, etc. My mom passed in 2013 of congestive heart disease, and diabetes. dad lost it. He visited her every day, and one of us was also there.
My dad had to go on hemo dialysys soon after mom died. I drove 35 miles daily to take him. One of my sisters picked him up after work.
He was also type 2 diabetic, and a quadruple heart bypass survivor since age 62 in 1995. He walked himself into the clinic Dec. 3rd. 2017 after eating a full breakfast and lunch. His 3rd. crash was that day. He dozed off, and when the nurse checked him, he was unresponsive. The paramedics tried reviving him, but he died. I had put on a wolloping amount of weight from eating out with dad, and just plain self neglect. He loved to eat out. It was all he had left to enjoy. There wasn't much time to cook healthy either. I stress ate my feelings.
By summer of 2018, I tipped the scale at 243 lbs. I began working out again, and eating better. By Chrstmas I was down to 199 lbs. I am the strongest I've ever been in my life. I work out 5 days per week and lift weights. My health numbvers are great for my 61 years. I weigh 176 lbs, the same as at age 22.
So, last fall when I heard about that strange new virous in China, I took an "Effitol" pill and applied for my retirement early. I was concerned about the markets. I began recieving benefits in June. Unfortunately, my former local dealer has closed. However, there is one in Chicagoland, and another I like in Texas.
Now that I can afford to, I am expanding my 4X8 marklin layout nearly double. I had early C track never used in storage with all my trains. The track has become brittle. I have ordered some new, and recently got a CS3. I am building a valley for my Faller Bietschtahl bridge.
My last post in 2007 or early 08 was about the last locomotive I got then. A 37537 br 120. The horn is lame. Is there way to retrofit a 60977 decoder without gutting the entire pcb board in it? It has a small Uhlenbrock or old ESU decoder. The sound module doe not unplug.
I have since last spring aquired a 36183 MRCE Vectron, and a 39212 br 212. I got nice Faller kits for Christmas from family. I will try uploading pics of my progress. I am a bit of a digital disaster. Old school. I got my first smart phone only a few years ago.
Thaks for listening. I hope to get a warm welcome back!
Now I guess I'll watch the Marklin digital Webinar from today.
thanks 29 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2021 15:13:13(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Welcome back! Looking forward to pictures of you layout. I am a bit of a phone dinosaur as well so my pictures often end up upside down. Which side of the phone is up when I hold it horizontally? I have no idea.

Regards
Roger
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2021 16:15:48(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Welcome back and you’re on the right track to good entertainment here on this forum. Sixty one is the new fifty one! I too am sixty one and let me tell you that being active in this hobby makes you ten years younger. If I can give you any advise concerning model railroading may it be this. Take your time and understand what is happening as there is always a cause and effect going on. Märklin products are in my humble opinion top notch and are a perfect match to keep you happy and satisfied with model railroader. Best of all you have us here on the forum to help you out if you have any issues or questions. Please don’t be shy to ask any questions. Most of all remember that there is no stupid question to ask, we’ve all been there! How else are you going to learn.

BigGrin Happiness is having a purpose and this hobby keeps the mind and body in tip top shape!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Mr. Ron  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2021 18:19:18(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I am new to this forum. Have been interested in model railroading all my life. Now at the age of 86, I am building a Marklin railway that is about 11'x12'. My wife of 45 years has the covid 19 virus and I am taking her today for the emergency treatment that President Trump had last year. In the meantime, I'm trying to keep active.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2021 19:54:58(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Spitz, I remember you! Has it really been that long?

It sounds like you've been through rough times but it seems like things are looking a bit brighter, in spite of the pandemic.

Look forward to reading your posts on the form once again.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2021 20:26:54(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
I am new to this forum. Have been interested in model railroading all my life. Now at the age of 86, I am building a Marklin railway that is about 11'x12'. My wife of 45 years has the covid 19 virus and I am taking her today for the emergency treatment that President Trump had last year. In the meantime, I'm trying to keep active.

Sorry, and hope she recovers without future problems from it. My trains are part therapy, sanity, fun for me too. I've been collecting since 1990.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2021 20:30:08(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank's Ray! I remember you too! Hard to miss the Rock of Gibralter!
Offline petestra  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2021 21:14:07(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hello. Glad to see you back and I hope that you will find more leisure time to enjoy our fun hobby. You and your family have really

been thru a lot of grief. My family had as well and I can surely relate to the stress and pain of life sometimes. Best wishes for a bright

future for you and your family. Have fun with the hobby and be healthy. Cheers, Peter. BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2021 22:10:03(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank you too Pete! I remember you as well now.
Offline foumaro  
#10 Posted : 12 February 2021 10:44:57(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Welcome back,all the best from now on.ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro