Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xpsensation  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2021 21:30:00(UTC)
xpsensation

Canada   
Hi, i have a number of Marklin passenger cars that pick up power from the track for head/tail lights. They will switch over from white to red when you change direction. How does this work.

image0.jpeg

cs3a.jpg

cs2a.jpg
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2021 22:02:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xpsensation Go to Quoted Post
Hi, i have a number of Marklin passenger cars that pick up power from the track for head/tail lights. They will switch over from white to red when you change direction. How does this work.

There is a little friction cam on an axle at the end where the lights are that operates a little switch to change from white to red lights.
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2021 22:05:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello,

The answer is not on the inside, but on the underside. Normally, the slider is mounted on the rear bogie and the front bogie has a mechanism which causes a little contact to close when the coach is moving in a particular direction. Closing the circuit causes the connection to shift from headlights to taillights, depending on the direction in which the coach is rolling, as can be seen here:

http://www.dermodellbahn...6218-images/26218-w4.jpg

You can also install a function decoder that can take over these functions, allowing you to control the functions digitally.

The advantage (perhaps) of the so-called "Schleppschalter" is that in several pilot coach models from Piko, the functions for headlights on/off correspond to the locomotive, but the assorted interior lighting features overlap with different functions on the locomotive. For example, the interior lights on the Piko RBe 4/4 (540) and the pilot coach do not go on together and the function on the pilot coach activates a different function on the Triebwagen, making it complicated to have both use the same address for simplicity.
I have heard that some new Roco models also now come with decoder rather than directional switch. I do not know whether they have matched the functions to their locomotives. I expect my first 74499 (SBB Doubledeck Pilot Coach) soon.

Regards

Mike C

Offline xpsensation  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2021 23:48:33(UTC)
xpsensation

Canada   
Thanks so much Mike. do you know if you can purchase the contact, or is there a separate picture of the contact itself. I am curious as to what it exactly looks like. I assume the little circuit board is to interface with the circuit and lights!!??
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2021 07:46:20(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
or is there a separate picture of the contact itself. I am curious as to what it exactly looks like.

Turn the waggon over, and look at it...?
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2021 10:55:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
or is there a separate picture of the contact itself. I am curious as to what it exactly looks like.

Turn the waggon over, and look at it...?

I think he has a coach out of a start set that doesn't have this function, and wants to fit it.

We have had queries about this before.
Offline mario54i  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2021 11:53:14(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

I have heard that some new Roco models also now come with decoder rather than directional switch. I do not know whether they have matched the functions to their locomotives. I expect my first 74499 (SBB double deck Pilot Coach) soon.

It's matching the locomotive, three white lights when locomotive is going backwards.
The default for tail lights is low right white light on, F1 switches to two red lights, nearly invisible in daylight.
F2 should switch to emergency mode (three red lights) but they forgot to mount the third red LED
Given the price I would have expected at least cabin light and possibly something to switch internal lighting.

Regards

Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2021 17:56:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Thanks so much Mike. do you know if you can purchase the contact, or is there a separate picture of the contact itself. I am curious as to what it exactly looks like. I assume the little circuit board is to interface with the circuit and lights!!??

If you looked at my post, you should have noticed the link which provided an image of the contact mechanism.

The circuit board is likely to transform the track voltage into whatever is required for the LEDs.
It also likely serves to divide the power for the destination sign and for the internal lighting.

Regards

Mike C

Offline xpsensation  
#9 Posted : 05 February 2021 22:01:39(UTC)
xpsensation

Canada   
Thanks Mike, yes i believe you are correct and that was my guess also.

Thanks for everyone's input.