Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#51 Posted : 09 February 2021 10:18:48(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
TS did start topic about curves and buffers.
He wrote about loco not having enough tractive effort in curves.
He wrote about coaches not coupling on straight tracks.
He wrote about short coaches.

Did you write anything "on topic" in this thread?

Oh, what a peaceful Christmas time we had on this forum...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#52 Posted : 09 February 2021 11:23:24(UTC)
Goofy

If you did read first topic it stand buffers and couples and locomotive slippers.
Well i know this result to fault on the track.
I am not surprised.
Märklin provided by self that we test every models before arrive out to the market...RollEyes
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline kiwiAlan  
#53 Posted : 09 February 2021 16:58:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Oh, what a peaceful Christmas time we had on this forum...

Laugh Laugh Laugh LOL LOL LOL ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp smiley_laughing.gif.pagespeed.ce._hfWAz_QHO.gifsmiley_laughing.gif.pagespeed.ce._hfWAz_QHO.gifsmiley_laughing.gif.pagespeed.ce._hfWAz_QHO.gif
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#54 Posted : 09 February 2021 17:27:25(UTC)
Goofy

I toke close pictures of the Märklin wagons and you can see how tight it is to buffer to buffer.
The curve tracks are 2231/R2.
If TS friend did really bought a train set that cost € 1700 i am pretty sure Märklin are carefully tested expensive products before to leave the factory?
By the way other locomotives do also show up slippery on the curves like steam locomotive S 2/6.
Design flaws or too weak locomotives?
Wagons at minimum length 282 mm are difficult in the narrow curves while driveway.
S curves?? Blink
DSC_0030_325.JPGDSC_0031_326.JPG
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#55 Posted : 09 February 2021 17:44:55(UTC)
H0

It is nice to have the trains buffer to buffer on straight track, it's nice to have them buffer to buffer in curves.

I have coaches where the coupler will only "click" when I lift both coaches a little bit. Prevents automatic shunting, but I'm fine with a little "hand of God" intervention.

I have trains with the old style 72021 couplers (RTS couplers). Much pressure is required to make them "click" together. This also prevents automatic shunting.

Is this thread about the normal difficulties with the power-conducting couplers or are the issues more demanding with the Orient Express? Drongo, are you listening?

I think we should move this thread away from S curves and back to coupling trains on straight track.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Copenhagen  
#56 Posted : 09 February 2021 19:13:04(UTC)
Copenhagen

Goofy seems to be on another planet. The vast majority of Märklin's long coaches run fine on R1 (and the odd S curve), even the Big Boy can run on R1 - though it's not recommended by Märklin.

If you use a mix of other brands you may encounter problems. Problems that can often be solved by changing wheel sets and/or couplers. Sometimes non- Märklin locomotives will have coupler mechanisms that can't swing enough from side to side (don't know the correct words in English) and they will derail the cars in S curves. If you can extend the coupler (or find another workaround) this problem will be solved.

The old style couplers (like the Relex type and "Bügelkupplung" (what's the English word?) usually make a good distance between cars and coaches but in curves and downhill stretches they can fail and make the cars come too close to each other resulting in derailments. The Märklin close couplers do, as the name implies, couple cars relatively close to each other but the important thing is that they keep the cars in a firm grip and at a solid distance preventing buffers getting entangled or cars getting derailed. My own experience has been that other brands and makes of cars and locomotives can have problems with Märklin close couplers, and I have found that Roco Universal couplers (Roco 40395) are a great alternative, they offer a bit more distance but keep the firm grip.

Sorry for the long rant - and I'm not trying to pose as an expert.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Online JohnjeanB  
#57 Posted : 09 February 2021 19:36:06(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
I totally agree with Copenhagen. All my Märklin rolling stock, including the latest (some 39241, 39243 also) even when declared NOT SUITED for R1 do run very fine on it. Never experienced a derailment because of this EVEN WHEN PUSHING THE TRAIN (with short couplings)
You must not forget Märklin offered a 5120 "industrial radius" of 610 mm diameter where ALL VEHICLES of the time were running very fine on it

I use R0 in all hidden places and of course, other clearance must be checked (Poles, signals,..).

All this Märklin culture came from the SEVERE beating Märklin suffered with their Modellgleis (3800 and 3900) from 1953 till 1957.

Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline David Dewar  
#58 Posted : 09 February 2021 20:54:35(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Might be better to start another thread on couplers and s curves. We have not heard again from Drongo or friend so I am not sure that what we are now talking about has anything to do with the initial problem which for all we know could be solved.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kiwiAlan  
#59 Posted : 09 February 2021 21:24:31(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Might be better to start another thread on couplers and s curves. We have not heard again from Drongo or friend so I am not sure that what we are now talking about has anything to do with the initial problem which for all we know could be solved.

I am wondering if the problem that Drongos friend has is another case of the incorrect coupler sockets being fitted to the coaches like has been reported here in the past. IIRC that also caused the coaches to derail because the arms of the Y piece were too short and fouled when swinging on curves.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
H0
Offline scraigen  
#60 Posted : 10 February 2021 15:12:53(UTC)
scraigen

I alway hope, naively perhaps, that someone at M might read this forum to see what their loyal customers think of their products in which it seems perfectly reasonable to mention it when a product is found wanting. That doesn't always have to mean that something is broken or wrong, but that there is something about the product that could be better.
Must build something
Offline David Dewar  
#61 Posted : 13 February 2021 13:00:38(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Just another Marklin bashing thread. Nobody has come on who owns the set mentioned in the first post. Does he/she even exist.
As Drongo says wake up and stop buying Marklin and it would be great if some above would just do that.

There are problems at times and if a member comes on who owns the article and shows us what is wrong then maybe we can help.

This is Marklin site and those who think their stuff is rubbish etc and ask members to stop buying it clearly just don’t like Marklin.
Frankly for all his many faults I would rather have Lutz back on.

Meanwhile I will give this site a rest and look for something that can discuss problems in a reasonable manner. No wonder many of our older members rarely post now.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#62 Posted : 14 February 2021 06:35:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Probably time to lock this thread. If the OP or any other member has anything worthwhile to add to the discussion, PM the moderators and we will consider unlocking the thread so that you can post.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz