Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2021 19:46:28(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Do we have any fellow Marklin folks here that do custom painting? Looking to get a 3060 repainted into the Monon red/grey with black roof passenger colors. This scheme with its nose striping is a bit beyond my abilities. Thanks in advance. Mike the Aspie.
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2021 21:20:13(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Agreed- that won't be cheap. I'd recommend going to a brass model painter in the USA, whom are easy to find, accustomed to the curvatures of an F3/7, and know where to source the right decals etc.

An alternate idea- see who makes the model in DC, and if it can be converted to AC Digital. That might be much easier and cheaper: Press the wheelsets ~.5mm, add a skit and you are done. For a digital model at least. Only major concern will be puko clearance over switches, and fine tunings
SBB Era 2-5
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2021 08:58:39(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Only company to ever do the Monon red/grey passenger units was Athearn in their Genesis line and good luck finding one. No easy way to set it up with a 3rd rail shoe either. Its not a rush, I now about brass painters, many of which have retired now in the USA, its getting quite hard to find ones that are taking new work. The few that are left have waiting lists that are a year or more long. Still not sure I will end up with the engines as my wife is not sure she wants me to let go of the class 44, she kind of likes the beast. Mike
Offline DTaylor91  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2021 00:13:22(UTC)
DTaylor91

Does Microscale make a decal set for it?
Offline cwp_marklin  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2021 19:19:34(UTC)
cwp_marklin

United States   
How about this guy from Portugal who lists custom Marklin F7 on eBay.de? https://www.ebay.de/itm/...273dc:g:n6IAAOSwViVf63W6 From the photos, his work looks pretty legit. He has number of different roadnames available right now but not Monon. Also, his eBay track record is stellar.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2021 18:26:19(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Wow! Clearly he/she has advanced tools, the masking work is impeccable, but the real magic is that letting and logosets. It looks too fine to be decal or transfer, but you need a wildly pricey printing setup to apply straight-to-locomotive.

If pricing is in line and the seller is willing to do the project, these looks like a 100% solution to the Monon option in my opinion. With a brass painter those Canadian national locos would cost much more than that for the paint job alone.
SBB Era 2-5
Offline artfull dodger  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2021 20:22:40(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Microscale does the decal set for the Monon passenger units, I already have a brand new set of them. Trying to stay inside the USA with the shipping mess and costs with going overseas for paint work. Mike