Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hennebror  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2021 02:07:30(UTC)
hennebror

United States   
Hello all,

New to the forum and fairly new to markin, especially the digital side - but not new to model trains... though most of my experience has been with simple analog AC/DC trains of multiple gauges. I recently acquired a few 1 gauge pieces including a BR 261 DB, part # 54323. Running it with both a CS1 and a control 80 i can not seem to get any sound from the unit. New to the CS1, but I have gotten another loco working fine with sound and whistle / bell etc.

I took the body off the 261 to see if there was a master switch or something i'm missing but can't seem to locate anything. Any advice on where to start troubleshooting?

It runs smoothly on both controllers, but no sound at all, the speaker is completely silent. There is a slight buzz from the decoder.... da da da da daaaaa, da da da da daaaa.....

I really appreciate any assistance you can offer. I've been affiliated with model trains for a long time as my father ran Valley Model Trains in NY for 30+ years, but I don't have much experience with the Marklin 1 gauge line. I love the stuff though and have caught the bug, the wish list is growing fast!

Cheers,
Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennebror
Offline hennebror  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2021 20:36:56(UTC)
hennebror

United States   
Any advice on where to purchase a replacement speaker? I'm getting good voltage at the leads to the speaker but no sound. Seems like replacing the speaker is a good first step.

M shows 411 378 as the part number, but not available. Taking the cab off i see a 32 ohm speaker, which I wasn't able to locate online.

IMG_0584.jpgIMG_0572.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennebror
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2021 22:05:50(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I'm not 100% sure; but very close BigGrin

On the decoder, at the edge, just between the two white stickers, does it say 3.2 or 3.3?

I think it's an ESU 3.2 or 3.3, and it should work well with a 16 Ohm or a 8 Ohm speaker also.

On page 12 in this manual, it shows a little plug that needs to be moved if the speaker is below 17 Ohm:

https://www.esu.eu/uploa...g_Auflage_V_eBook_01.pdf

I also think that the Visaton speaker isn't the original speaker; but again, not 100% sure.

Usually Visaton speakers are retrofitted to get a better sound.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline hennebror  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2021 00:27:30(UTC)
hennebror

United States   
You’re correct it’s a 3.3. Thanks for the esu reference, I’ll Bridge those pins on the decoder and get my hands on an 8ohm speaker. 🤞
Offline hennebror  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2021 01:07:35(UTC)
hennebror

United States   
I replaced the old speaker with a generic 8 ohm and bridged the pins on the decoder as outlined above, but no luck, The old speaker was definitely shot, no sound and no continuity checked with the voltmeter. But the new speaker just makes a buzzing / chirping sound.

IMG_0603.MOV (2,950kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

I also noticed that one of the decoder pins appears to be broken off. If I'm looking at things correctly, it seems to be pin 2-3 (AUX1) which isn't related to sound.

IMG_0604.jpg

Any other advice on troubleshooting?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2021 11:52:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hennebror Go to Quoted Post
I replaced the old speaker with a generic 8 ohm and bridged the pins on the decoder as outlined above, but no luck, The old speaker was definitely shot, no sound and no continuity checked with the voltmeter. But the new speaker just makes a buzzing / chirping sound.

IMG_0603.MOV (2,950kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

I also noticed that one of the decoder pins appears to be broken off. If I'm looking at things correctly, it seems to be pin 2-3 (AUX1) which isn't related to sound.

IMG_0604.jpg

Any other advice on troubleshooting?

No that pin should be missing. Look at the socket, there is a plastic plug in the appropriate hole. This is a key to stop you putting the decoder in the wrong way round.
Offline hennebror  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2021 13:06:06(UTC)
hennebror

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

No that pin should be missing. Look at the socket, there is a plastic plug in the appropriate hole. This is a key to stop you putting the decoder in the wrong way round.

I thought that may be the case, wasn't sure if it was a plug or a broken pin. And I couldn't find clarification in the manual, at least not in the Loksound XL 3.5 one i was looking at. Thanks!
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2021 13:39:30(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: hennebror Go to Quoted Post
But the new speaker just makes a buzzing / chirping sound.

When I look at your video, it looks like the membrane of the speaker is only moving in one direction?

This suggests that the speaker is only getting some kind of DC.

Conclusion_1: Defect decoder, which has caused the first speaker to fail, since no speaker can stand DC for a long time.

Conclusion_2: The loc is wired incorrectly, so the speaker gets power from e.g. a light output.......

( It could be that the sound you hear actually comes from the decoder, and not the speaker;
suggesting that some of the electronic parts are being overloaded. )

I could be wrong, it has happened before; I believe it was in 1976................... LOL Laugh LOL Laugh LOL

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage