Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Allen Lee  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2021 11:16:42(UTC)
Allen Lee

Australia   
Good day Marklin Fans Please if anyone could have suggestions that would be great I have a marklin 3039 analog loco that runs slowly compared to my other locos of similar size .If you increase the power on the transformer ,the speed increases ,but full speed is only half the speed of my other locos I have stripped the gears of the loco, cleaned them and lightly oil .I have cleaned the 3 slots on the motor copper face and polished the copper face ,so it has no carbon on it .I have replaced the coals brushes ,and checked the tension on the springs for the coals is good but not too much .I have checked the pickup shoe and made sure there is no oil between the pick up shoe and connector ,also checked the solder connections are all good What i have not done is replaced the motor (anker),could this be where my problem could be .Does the choke have anything to do with making a loco run slow .Please if anyone has any ideas where i can look if you could let me know that would be great Thanks for your ideas Regards Allen

Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2021 12:32:42(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
If we rule out a different mechanical gearing, you will have to find out what is causing the problem, by being systematic;

Does the motor get hot when running?
Remove the brushes/coals and move the wheels with your finger; Does everything run wthout friction?

Are the brushes/coals in good working order? -Maybe they have to be changed. You can also check the spring power of applied to them. Too much pressure will cause friction. Check to see that you dont have oil inside the motor cover plate. (It must be clean; remove dust from the brushes/coals)
(Okay, I see that you have checked all of that. Apart from cleaning the copper surface, you have to make sure that there is no dirt BETWEEN the surfaces. I usually scrape it out with a toothpick)

It is possible that some of the windings of the anker and/or the stator-coil are shot. If you have another loco with similar parts, you should try to swap them out, to see if the problem moves with them. If you manage to locate the faulty part, the good news is that these are easily obtainable as spareparts.

Normally de chokes does not matter for the running characteristics, but if they are wrong and/or damaged they could disturb the performance.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Michael4  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2021 14:27:51(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I had a very old slow 3005. After trying everything else I changed the field magnet for one from a 'parts' loco and it came back to life.

I would not know how to test a field magnet so found the solution by substitution.
Offline analogmike  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2021 12:34:39(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Try this;

Screenshot (9).png
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by analogmike