Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline uhrwerk  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2021 17:41:25(UTC)
uhrwerk

United States   
Hello fellow big-scalers!

Does anyone have a recommendation for outdoor 32mm/45mm (O gauge and 1 gauge) track? I'm looking to build a simple loop - no switchwork or anything. My equipment has deep flanges. I live in Colorado so anything from hot sun to deep snow, and UV resistance is a must because of the altitude.

Thank you! I normally use Aristocraft track for 1 gauge equipment outdoors here and find it lasts pretty well.

Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2021 21:05:04(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I usually recommend PECO, they make both 32 and 45mm track in code 200.

I find them very good, both in regards to UV-resistance and frost.

They are just a tiny bit higher than the standard Märklin 1-gauge track; but big enough for my Accucraft Ruby to run on them.

When I ran Ruby on Märklin-track, the flanges touched the sleepers.

I once wrote a little about the differences: https://www.marklin-user...tracks-and-turnouts.aspx

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2021 21:28:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The only thing I've noticed with long term use of PECO Gauge 1 track is that it is softer than other types and the rail does wear down after some time.

We use PECO track on our modular Gauge 1 layout 'Istein' and it is noticeable that some sections are becoming quite worn especially when there's newer track nearby to compare with.

PECO track is also used on the Zittau layout - https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...44071-The-Zittau-Project but I expect that that layout will soon be broken down.
Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2021 23:22:17(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Sunset Valley offers code 250 dual gauge track thru their website. You can run pretty much anything on that from vintage gauge one to LGB to modern fine scale gauge one and O gauge. https://www.sunsetvalley...ad.com/track---rail.html
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2021 01:47:42(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Cripes! Scared For that price I would be running two separate layouts..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2021 07:39:55(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I forgot to mention, that with PECO you have to build the dual gauge track yourself............... Blink

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline phils2um  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2021 09:23:34(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
I was going to suggest Sunset Valley Railroad too. Actually $10/ft does not seem outrageous to me for dual gauge stainless steel code 250 track.
They've been around a long time and the track will start out and will remain in gauge for both 32mm and 45mm. If I were to have 45mm/32mm dual gauge myself it's what I would get, but I'm strictly 45mm myself using LGB brass and a bit of Aristo SS code 332.
Phil S.
Offline artfull dodger  
#8 Posted : 18 January 2021 09:23:39(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Dual gauge track, and most anything related to gauge one is not for the faint of heart price wise. Even just brand new track, I use LGB myself, is not cheap. I am planning to widen my curves from 10' diameter to just a hair over 15' using LGB R5. Right now I am using Piko curves to fit the raised railway I purchased. But I plan to build new curved modules to a wider radius so my Aster Schools will run better. It took some minor mods to the engine and tender to get around 10' diameter. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline uhrwerk  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2021 01:15:59(UTC)
uhrwerk

United States   
Thanks for the tip on Sunset Valley. I found another site in the EU that makes similar. I'm not going to say price isn't a concern, but it's not my most major concern. I will measure some flanges and see of code 250 will work for me. I'm not looking for a huge loop, just something to run my clockwork/live steam vintage stuff on outdoors that is of a high enough quality to survive in Colorado. Understanding the market for this is small, and specialty products tend to be expensive.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by uhrwerk