Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mjborelli  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2021 00:53:23(UTC)
mjborelli

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions for small portable vacuums that can be used to clean train boards.

Thanks for your assistance.

Mike
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2021 10:02:17(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I use the Eufy HomeVac H11; pretty happy with it. You have to have a USB plug for it (they supply the chord). The charge only lasts for about 15 minutes. I found it to be powerful enough to keep my small layout clean and because it has no bag, it would be easy to retrieve an item sucked up by mistake. There is a brush attachment that lets you pick up dust off more delicate items. What I would like is an attachment that gets into small areas; at the moment, I have to use a small paint brush to sweep out any dust from tight areas before I can vacuum it up.

Carim
Offline Harvey  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2021 22:24:53(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I just purchase the Eufy HomeVac H11, based on Carim's suggestion. Supply seemed limited but I obtained from a Pet Food supply company. tested and seems very good. Nozzle width is similar to M/K track and so I just ran along the rail, just like a locomotive. Have not used enough to really critique, but am happy so far.

Harvey
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2021 06:08:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
We have a Miele vacuum for the house and there is a keyboard attachment so that it can be used for computers and peripherals, but it is also pretty good for things like tracks and stuff.
I have seen a few models advertised that have a clear plastic collection bin or filter, so that any small parts that fall off can be retrieved without having to go through a whole vacuum bag. Most of the time, I have the trains on the floor, so I usually do a walk around looking for parts before I bring out the big gun (Miele). It would be a shame to lose a handrail, buffer or other part due to carelessness.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Copenhagen  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2021 14:35:39(UTC)
Copenhagen

A sock inserted in the nozzle/mouth piece held with a rubber band or tape, or a thin sock somewhere between the mouth piece and tube will act as a filter for things accidentally sucked in by the cleaner.