Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<567
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#301 Posted : 17 September 2021 08:43:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Here is a link to new fall items for Marklin:

Hi Dwight, you're a bit late to the party. These links were already posted in the 2021 New Items thread, so I will move your post there.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Zme
Offline H0  
#302 Posted : 17 September 2021 09:14:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
One thing I am surprised is the 844 has a 37xxx item number. As Märklin usually reserves 39xxx for very accurate and more cared models, do you think it is intended to be a top model?
I often read here that 39xxx was better than 37xxx, but there is no evidence. Some 37xxx are "better" than some 39xxx models. For Märklin the second digit obviously makes no difference.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline rmsailor  
#303 Posted : 17 September 2021 17:22:49(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Dimi194 Go to Quoted Post
Disappointed in the Xma car - it's so similar to last year, I had to go back and check it wasn't just a re-release of the same item!

yeah, it is the third year in a row that they have done a coach for the H0 Christmas wagon.

Marklin would have perhaps have been better if they had based the Christmas coaches on the Hobby 4107/8 articles. It would have been easy to fit the many attractive designs that have appeared on the LGB Christmas coaches over the years onto the side. They might also have been cheaper.

Bob M.
Offline bph  
#304 Posted : 17 September 2021 18:14:32(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: rmsailor Go to Quoted Post
Disappointed in the Xma car - it's so similar to last year, I had to go back and check it wasn't just a re-release of the same item!

yeah, it is the third year in a row that they have done a coach for the H0 Christmas wagon.

Marklin would have perhaps have been better if they had based the Christmas coaches on the Hobby 4107/8 articles. It would have been easy to fit the many attractive designs that have appeared on the LGB Christmas coaches over the years onto the side. They might also have been cheaper.

Bob M.

my guess is that Märklin has made a Christmas edition of a branch line passenger car set, based on the 43010, 43020, and 43030 or 43019. It seems like 48420 and 48421 are slightly different in construction and correspond to 43010 and 43020.

so personally I think the baggage car 48419 and the passenger cars 48420 and 48421 makes a nice Christmas set on their own. And next year Marklin will likely have something different, as the set is now "complete".
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#305 Posted : 17 September 2021 18:41:58(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
The 844 looks cool, although I find it either strange or ironic that it is coming at the exact same time, price and almost exact same materials as the new version from Broadway limited:

https://www.broadway-lim...GraphiteModernExcur.aspx

Could they have been in sync, or strange accident? Either way, I hope the business case was based on AC sales, as trix may have a tough go vs broadway limited, which has the retail footprint etc here in the USA.

Thematically, this does perfectly fit into the marklin UP portfolio though!
FS + SBB Era 2-5 and Vintage Marklin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline kiwiAlan  
#306 Posted : 17 September 2021 19:20:20(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rmsailor Go to Quoted Post

Bob M.

my guess is that Märklin has made a Christmas edition of a branch line passenger car set, based on the 43010, 43020, and 43030 or 43019. It seems like 48420 and 48421 are slightly different in construction and correspond to 43010 and 43020.

so personally I think the baggage car 48419 and the passenger cars 48420 and 48421 makes a nice Christmas set on their own. And next year Marklin will likely have something different, as the set is now "complete".

Good point. I'll have to have a look and compare them myself. Still will make an interesting set to go with the steam Christmas loco.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline bph  
#307 Posted : 18 September 2021 13:45:54(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
The 844 looks cool, although I find it either strange or ironic that it is coming at the exact same time, price and almost exact same materials as the new version from Broadway limited:

https://www.broadway-lim...GraphiteModernExcur.aspx

Could they have been in sync, or strange accident? Either way, I hope the business case was based on AC sales, as trix may have a tough go vs broadway limited, which has the retail footprint etc here in the USA.

Thematically, this does perfectly fit into the marklin UP portfolio though!

Thanks,

I guess it could be some form of corporation and that they matched the price in order to not compete on the price.

will be interesting to compare the exploded drawing from Märklin and Broadway limited on the 844. (could not find one from Broadway limited, yet...?)

If they are working together, have they worked together before?. E.G. take a look at the exploded drawings on the challengers, and compare Märklin and Broadway limited. The drawings are arranged slightly differently, but they look quite similar except for the smoke generator.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline marklinist5999  
#308 Posted : 18 September 2021 14:42:42(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Well, the auto companies work together now, so? I don't have one Christmas car. I just can't see paying $40 plus for a 5 inch car. If my birthday were around December, no doubt my former dealer would have gifted me a few.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline mike c  
#309 Posted : 18 September 2021 17:24:30(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
One thing I am surprised is the 844 has a 37xxx item number. As Märklin usually reserves 39xxx for very accurate and more cared models, do you think it is intended to be a top model?
I often read here that 39xxx was better than 37xxx, but there is no evidence. Some 37xxx are "better" than some 39xxx models. For Märklin the second digit obviously makes no difference.

2 decades ago, 39XXX was introduced as the product numbers for the C-sine (sinus) models.
Production of models with those models stopped after a few years
As the numbers of 37XXX became saturated, Maerklin decided to use the 39XXX numbers for regular models too.
There may be some criteria for what features a model must have to qualify for a 39XXX compared to a 37XXX.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mbarreto  
#310 Posted : 18 September 2021 22:51:34(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

2 decades ago, 39XXX was introduced as the product numbers for the C-sine (sinus) models.
Production of models with those models stopped after a few years
As the numbers of 37XXX became saturated, Maerklin decided to use the 39XXX numbers for regular models too.
There may be some criteria for what features a model must have to qualify for a 39XXX compared to a 37XXX.

Regards

Mike C

The criteria maybe something like the wind direction on the day of decision ;)

Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline dickinsonj  
#311 Posted : 19 September 2021 01:39:09(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I agree with Mike.

I basically see little rhyme nor reason to how models get pushed into these two ranges anymore. I get where they came from, but for a while now I have found 37xxx models to basically be equivalent to 39xxx ones. I have models in both ranges which seem like they should be in the other, based on features and detailing. Technically they are a wash, with the same basic mfx decoders and cheap can motors in both ranges.

It seems to be more of how they market them than any real differences in the models themselves in many cases.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
I have models from Era I to Era VI, but I try to focus on Eras I & III. Whoops, that one got away from me. Let's just say I focus on cool trains, regardless of the particulars :-)
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dickinsonj  
#312 Posted : 19 September 2021 03:54:45(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
The 844 does indeed look nice, and the dynamic smoke is interesting.

But what do you pull with it? It is strictly a passenger loco and all Märklin has offered recently for UP are the five coaches they released with the 4014. I haul those with a Challenger but it still needs more coaches to make a credible train. Now another UP passenger loco with no additional coaches for it is sight?

I have bought more than on loco thinking that Märklin would have to eventually produce appropriate coaches for them and in most cases I am still waiting.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
I have models from Era I to Era VI, but I try to focus on Eras I & III. Whoops, that one got away from me. Let's just say I focus on cool trains, regardless of the particulars :-)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Goofy  
#313 Posted : 19 September 2021 11:32:10(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
The 844 does indeed look nice, and the dynamic smoke is interesting.

But what do you pull with it? It is strictly a passenger loco and all Märklin has offered recently for UP are the five coaches they released with the 4014. I haul those with a Challenger but it still needs more coaches to make a credible train. Now another UP passenger loco with no additional coaches for it is sight?

I have bought more than on loco thinking that Märklin would have to eventually produce appropriate coaches for them and in most cases I am still waiting.

The train models are big in the market in USA.
You live there.
So there is plenty of passenger cars that also can runs on the Märklin tracks?
Cool

CS3...H0...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline marklinist5999  
#314 Posted : 19 September 2021 14:26:18(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I for one have more European trains than American. Mainly German and Swiss. I do have a nice set of Bachman PRR brunswick brown pullman coaches I could pull with it.
Thye are lit, but from the early 90's, so not l.e.d. like the newer ones are. They also still have the old horn hook couplers. The new ones have better ones like Kadee's.
It's a 4 car set boxed individually. A baggage/open seat, diner, open seat car, compartment coach, and observation coach. I have a brunswick green Mehano analog d.c. GG1 that pulls them, but I never run them. I was only offered $75 for it all, including a 1950's or 60's Penn Line H-9 steamer. That was from a dealer who buy's collectiions.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#315 Posted : 19 September 2021 14:47:02(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Portugal   
The 844 [...]
But what do you pull with it? It is strictly a passenger loco...

Union Pacific states: “When diesels took over all of the passenger train duties, No. 844 was placed in freight service in Nebraska between 1957 and 1959.”

Source: https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/844/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline kiwiAlan  
#316 Posted : 19 September 2021 23:26:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
That was from a dealer who buy's collectiions.

They are the worst people to sell to. One free guess how they expect to make their money.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#317 Posted : 20 September 2021 02:21:37(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I agree, but the owner didn't do my appraisal. He had previously bought an unopened Faller kit from me at only a 20% deficit below retail. I got duplicates for Christmas. He doesn't normally stock European models.
The employee who did the appraisal used her phone. Those Bachmann cars retail for at least $90 each. She knows I don't need to sell. I'd sooner will them to someone who'd appreciate them.
My mom left me her expensive doll house with oodles of bronze and wood furnishings. Four shoe boxes full. Some never opened. A friend wanted it for his boy's but insisted he pay me for it. I let him buy it for $25.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline dickinsonj  
#318 Posted : 27 September 2021 15:40:38(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

That is an interesting observation. It makes me wonder who actually made Märklin's Challenger models as well. When I got my Challenger I was intrigued by the finer detailing compared to my older Big Boy (37990). It has lighted number boards to the sides of the headlight, lighted front marker lights, functional rear marker lights and light on the tender top, cab windows which open and opening roof vent. I though that it was just a sign of model progress over the 20 years which separated the two models.

Then I bought a 37997 Big Boy expecting those details on it as well. But it is detailed exactly like the 37990 and lacks all of those features. Interestingly the 844 has all of those features, making it more like the Challengers than the Big Boys.

That makes me wonder if the Big Boys are made by Märklin and the challengers by someone else. It is also not current Märklin practice to release a model and then make it available the next month, rather than months or even years later. Has anyone received an ICE4 train yet?

Even though my Challenger and 37997 Big Boy were both sold in the US neither has a country of origin label on the packaging. Maybe the 844 and Challengers were made in China like some of my other high feature Märklin locos. I don't have a problem with that but it would be nice to know where an expensive new loco was made and who made it.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#319 Posted : 27 September 2021 16:15:41(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   

That is an interesting observation. It makes me wonder who actually made Märklin's Challenger models as well. When I got my Challenger I was intrigued by the finer detailing compared to my older Big Boy (37990). It has lighted number boards to the sides of the headlight, lighted front marker lights, functional rear marker lights and light on the tender top, cab windows which open and opening roof vent. I though that it was just a sign of model progress over the 20 years which separated the two models.

Then I bought a 37997 Big Boy expecting those details on it as well. But it is detailed exactly like the 37990 and lacks all of those features. Interestingly the 844 has all of those features, making it more like the Challengers than the Big Boys.

That makes me wonder if the Big Boys are made by Märklin and the challengers by someone else. It is also not current Märklin practice to release a model and then make it available the next month, rather than months or even years later. Has anyone received an ICE4 train yet?

Even though my Challenger and 37997 Big Boy were both sold in the US neither has a country of origin label on the packaging. Maybe the 844 and Challengers were made in China like some of my other high feature Märklin locos. I don't have a problem with that but it would be nice to know where an expensive new loco was made and who made it.

I think the challenger and 844 vs big boy is just a matter of progress and technology, being much newer toolings. In regards to my earlier post I don't think BL and marklin used a same supplier as Broadway Limited I believe has their own facility in korea, unless they are the supplier? Its just very strange timing
FS + SBB Era 2-5 and Vintage Marklin