Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline phils2um  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2021 07:13:58(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
A recent forum thread about upgrading to a CS3 or CS3+ causes me to wonder about this again - Why have more than one CS3/CS3+ on a layout?

It's a lot of money to shell out for a booster which, as far as I can see, is all you're really getting with a second one. Sure you get two more knobs to twirl, but they're awfully expensive at just under $250 apiece. (I'm being generous by taking into account the cost of a booster). Just about everybody has multiple cell phones, tablets or even a PCs of some sort that can be used as loco controllers. The web interface makes it simple. I'd rather spend the $500 difference on turnout decoders, s88 modules, etc. The CS3 is not portable. It needs to be hardwired into the layout control system to contribute, so there is no advantage there. Also, the master CS3 is doing all the work anyway so there is no gain in overall system performance. The processor of the second CS3 is just along for the ride and actually robbing the booster in the CS of power that could be applied to the rails.

So I throw the question out there - Why more than one?

Phil S.
Phil S.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2021 09:00:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
Why have more than one CS3/CS3+ on a layout?

Imagine this.

You own a large Gauge 1 layout which measures 23m x 12m (don't laugh, I know of such a layout - see https://www.marklin-user...44071-The-Zittau-Project ).

Perhaps you own a large H0 layout 10m x 6m.

Would you want to be walking / crawling back to a central point where your CS3 is to alter the speed of a loco?

Hence the need for remote control points and some means of controlling all or part of the layout from that point. Some folks may choose to use multiple CS3+'s, some may use smartphones (a bad option IMHO), some may use a PC or tablet, some may have really wanted the mobile wireless controller that's just been cancelled.

I already have a CS2 and two available CS1's, why wouldn't I use them as remote controllers with a CS3 (once I get one)?

The processor of the second CS3 is just along for the ride and actually robbing the booster in the CS of power that could be applied to the rails.

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

The 2nd CS3+ (it can't be a CS3) has its own power supply so it isn't drawing power from any booster. It's the rating of the power supply used that determines how much power is available for the track, power used by the unit's CPU won't be huge.
Offline scraigen  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2021 11:31:25(UTC)
scraigen

I get what Phil is saying, the second CS is a slave to the first one with the first one doing all the computing, the second one is basically a booster with a couple of control dials - ok it's maybe over simplifying it.

I have two MS1s and the second one can't create, delete, modify locs it can only issue commands to locs that exist in the first one, not so much of an issue for MS1s as I bought em cheap on eBay, but when both devices cost such a lot it's a different story!
Must build something
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 06 January 2021 20:07:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
A recent forum thread about upgrading to a CS3 or CS3+ causes me to wonder about this again - Why have more than one CS3/CS3+ on a layout?

It's a lot of money to shell out for a booster which, as far as I can see, is all you're really getting with a second one. Sure you get two more knobs to twirl, but they're awfully expensive at just under $250 apiece. (I'm being generous by taking into account the cost of a booster). Just about everybody has multiple cell phones, tablets or even a PCs of some sort that can be used as loco controllers. The web interface makes it simple. I'd rather spend the $500 difference on turnout decoders, s88 modules, etc. The CS3 is not portable. It needs to be hardwired into the layout control system to contribute, so there is no advantage there. Also, the master CS3 is doing all the work anyway so there is no gain in overall system performance. The processor of the second CS3 is just along for the ride and actually robbing the booster in the CS of power that could be applied to the rails.

So I throw the question out there - Why more than one?

Phil S.

Think more in terms of having someone else come around to your layout (or a club layout) where more than one person has a cs that can be linked up to the one normally used. It uses hardware that already exists and can provide extra throttles for those visiting without you having to have enough throttles to go around.

I have used mine in exactly this scenario on the UK Club weekends.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline phils2um  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2021 07:44:25(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
You own a large Gauge 1 layout which measures 23m x 12m (don't laugh, I know of such a layout

I would much rather have a portable controller when following my trains! I do know about large layouts - mine is a garden RR! (Mostly LGB, If it was 1 gauge clearly money would be of no concern and I would not have asked the rhetorical question.Wink)

The web interface in the current CS3 software, while not perfect, makes a much more practical controller when employed on a smart phone or tablet than any fixed control stations in my situation. And there is no limit to the number of mobile devices that can connect! I just need to add them to my wifi router so they can get by the firewall. By the way, the CS3 web interface is a significant improvement over what's available to interface with a CS2. I know this too - the web interface wasn't there when I first got my CS3. I had to use the MobleStation app on my phone and tablet when I started and it wasn't the most user friendly. I actually preferred the using a VNC viewer over the MobileStation app on my phone.

"I already have a CS2 and two available CS1's, why wouldn't I use them as remote controllers with a CS3 (once I get one)?"

You've already got them, of course you should use them. They're much more use to you as boosters and controllers than what little money you could get by selling them. That's not my point. All I'm saying is that you're throwing money away especially if you buy more than 1 CS3/CS3+ just to have extra controllers. (Did you buy two CS2s when you upgraded from the CS1s?). Even if you need the extra power on your layout, a CS3+ is a very expensive way to get extra controllers. A couple of MS controllers and a booster are cheaper by at least $300 in the US and will plug into your single CS3.

Edited by user 07 January 2021 12:32:08(UTC)  | Reason: add some clarification to my thoughts

Phil S.