Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline chiemgau  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2020 04:07:08(UTC)
chiemgau

United States   
What is the best way to lubricate the necessary parts for the 8816 railbus? I've read that I can access the motor and the wheel axles from the bottom by removing the plastic covers. Before disassembling anything, should I try to just squirt some oil in the gears on the bottom? How often should you lubricate the motor shaft? I've never oiled a locomotive before so please bear with me, any advice/tips would be great. A bottle of Labelle #108 oil is on its way.
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2020 06:22:02(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Love those railbuses! From your question you have one of the older railbus models with 3 or 5 pole motor. I think that model was first released in 1973.

It is likely best to remove the shell first. You will see right thru that clear insulator to the worm gear.

The instructions says to lube the gear after 20 hours of use. That is probably the standard set for use with the thicker Marklin oil. With 108, you may need to add lube a bit more often but I cannot give you a number of hours to repeat the process. The 108 oil is thinner. So you will need to consider this.

If the black plastic wheel frame on the bottom is removed, the worm gear should be accessible. Be aware of which way you remove the wheel frame because it needs to go back in with the same orientation. There are little molded spring or overhang that have to be the same on each side. The only problem, reassembly will be a challenge as you will need all of the wheel contacts behind each wheel. I usually use a sponge type cage to keep things together and press lightly in on the contacts with a plastic bag tie to keep it behind the wheel. ( if that could possible make sense to you). When you get into it, you will understand what I am trying to describe. This is a time when four hands would come in handy. Don’t worry, you will get better at it after a time. Just keep at it.

I looked for a diagram for this railbus model on the Marklin site, but did not come up with it. Maybe, it was dropped because these are old models. Darn. I will see if I can find it if you think you need it.

Best wishes.

Dwight

P.s. found it.

https://static.maerklin....61e59cffcf1434542510.pdf
Offline chiemgau  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2020 15:48:20(UTC)
chiemgau

United States   
Thank you for sharing all the info, that really helps!

I love my railbuses too! I also have the Chiemgau 8112 railbus but the 8816 is my favorite. I purchased the 8812 used a couple years ago and it came in a 70/80s paper box that looks like faux wood so I’m assuming it has a 3-pole motor. I don’t run it that often, but when I do, it’s only for around 10 mins, so it’s hard to judge when it’s been 20 hours. I figured it would be a good time to maintain this little guy and keep it in good shape.

When is it necessary to thoroughly clean the gears/motor as opposed to just adding lube?

I was bummed to recently find out one of the black tiny buffer is missing. From the exploded diagram, I believe I have to replace the entire shell. Crying
Offline zscalehobo  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2020 19:06:33(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Some spares dealers / Märklin repair centers will have buffers in stock... Even one in the USA has them.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline chiemgau  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2020 19:12:13(UTC)
chiemgau

United States   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
Some spares dealers / Märklin repair centers will have buffers in stock... Even one in the USA has them.

Thanks Frank, I actually bought a Noch Liebenzell layout from you many years ago.

That’s good news about the buffers, you don’t have any in stock I’m assuming? Is there a product number/name to them?
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 30 December 2020 19:15:31(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi.

Here is a bit of information about the different railbuses produced if you are interested. (Just scroll down in the link and you will find the article)

http://ztrainsweekly.com/category/siding/page/9/

This article gives the impression that the first railbus was introduced in 1988, but I can assure you, they were first cataloged in 1973.

Regarding your comments, you are correct, the railbus in the brown wood grained box is normally some of the oldest around. Sometimes sellers don’t know, and sell newer models in the older box. Better a wrong box than no box at all. An 8112 was sold in the box introduced in the early to mid 80s which has a photo of the model on the sliding cover. The 8112 was sold together with a powered unit and a matching non powered trailer.

There may be some slight variations in the red railbus, comparing the older models, but essentially it has not changed until recently. (Now has more detail added). With first production in 1973, what I find amazing is that they still work and if you look hard enough, you can still find parts and maintain them. With a bit of TLC, who knows how long they will keep going. Take good care with maintaining that motor, they are as rare as they come. Replacements are few and far between, even the newer 5 poles is sold out everywhere. I keep hoping someone will uncover a pile of old store stock motors someplace.

On a schedule for complete cleaning, I would say to depends on your running conditions. A clean track may extend your interval for cleaning. I think it would a
also depend on your visual inspection. Fuzz and dirt will give you the signal, excessive, unusual noise or poor performance are all indications a deep cleaning is necessary. On this, you will have to use your own judgement. When the time comes. just be careful not to damage or lose parts, they can be hard to replace.

I have some missing buffers too, but I think they are available from the parts sellers. Some buffers are now sold as universal replacements. These might work on the railbus and since new versions are being made, you should find something.

Sorry, I could go on and on about the railbus. Hope I helped. BigGrin

Best wishes

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline zscalehobo  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2020 22:08:05(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
You assume wrong it's just that I'm trying to stay within board guidlelines. 😇
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline chiemgau  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2020 04:41:12(UTC)
chiemgau

United States   
Thanks Dwight for all the info, the more the better! Interesting read on the different railbuses Marklin had produced, I didn't even know some existed. I'm going to be very careful with my railbuses for sure!

Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

Here is a bit of information about the different railbuses produced if you are interested. (Just scroll down in the link and you will find the article)

http://ztrainsweekly.com/category/siding/page/9/

This article gives the impression that the first railbus was introduced in 1988, but I can assure you, they were first cataloged in 1973.

Regarding your comments, you are correct, the railbus in the brown wood grained box is normally some of the oldest around. Sometimes sellers don’t know, and sell newer models in the older box. Better a wrong box than no box at all. An 8112 was sold in the box introduced in the early to mid 80s which has a photo of the model on the sliding cover. The 8112 was sold together with a powered unit and a matching non powered trailer.

There may be some slight variations in the red railbus, comparing the older models, but essentially it has not changed until recently. (Now has more detail added). With first production in 1973, what I find amazing is that they still work and if you look hard enough, you can still find parts and maintain them. With a bit of TLC, who knows how long they will keep going. Take good care with maintaining that motor, they are as rare as they come. Replacements are few and far between, even the newer 5 poles is sold out everywhere. I keep hoping someone will uncover a pile of old store stock motors someplace.

On a schedule for complete cleaning, I would say to depends on your running conditions. A clean track may extend your interval for cleaning. I think it would a
also depend on your visual inspection. Fuzz and dirt will give you the signal, excessive, unusual noise or poor performance are all indications a deep cleaning is necessary. On this, you will have to use your own judgement. When the time comes. just be careful not to damage or lose parts, they can be hard to replace.

I have some missing buffers too, but I think they are available from the parts sellers. Some buffers are now sold as universal replacements. These might work on the railbus and since new versions are being made, you should find something.

Sorry, I could go on and on about the railbus. Hope I helped. BigGrin

Best wishes

Dwight