Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Teichman317  
#1 Posted : 24 December 2020 22:23:15(UTC)
Teichman317

United States   
Hi all

I am brand new to the forum and pretty new to model railroading. I acquired about 30 vintage locomotives from Ebay. So on this guy I have completely disassembled the engine cleaned all the gears and armature and replaced both brushes. After reassembly, It runs OK for the first couple of minutes then starts making a chirping sound. the loco slows down during the chirping and seems like the motor is overheating. Here is a youtube video of the engine on the test bench making the sound. I was hoping one of you smart guys might recognize the issue and give me some pointers. here is the link.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Offline eduard71  
#2 Posted : 24 December 2020 22:58:40(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Originally Posted by: Teichman317 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all

I am brand new to the forum and pretty new to model railroading. I acquired about 30 vintage locomotives from Ebay. So on this guy I have completely disassembled the engine cleaned all the gears and armature and replaced both brushes. After reassembly, It runs OK for the first couple of minutes then starts making a chirping sound. the loco slows down during the chirping and seems like the motor is overheating. Here is a youtube video of the engine on the test bench making the sound. I was hoping one of you smart guys might recognize the issue and give me some pointers. here is the link.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,
If you have cleaned the locomotive now you need to lubricate it. The motor has two points (in between the brushes) where you need to put one drop of oil. Also one more drop in each gear.
The sound you get is typical from an engine that needs oil. Don´t put too much oil just a couple of drops and put the engine to work again.

lfcm-motor-2_orig.png

You can use Marklin oil or any oil manufactured for model trains.

Kr

Eduardo
Offline Teichman317  
#3 Posted : 24 December 2020 23:24:43(UTC)
Teichman317

United States   
Eduardo

Thanks for the quick reply. I will give it a try and report back. I thought I oiled it pretty well and I am using Marklin oil. I will stick a couple of drops and see what happens.
Offline Teichman317  
#4 Posted : 25 December 2020 00:06:55(UTC)
Teichman317

United States   
OK here is what I got. I put oil in the location pointed out. It was covered by a capacitor in the wiring and I did not see it a first. So for the first 10 minutes all was OK then the chirping sound re-appeared. Let me know what you think.

Offline eduard71  
#5 Posted : 25 December 2020 02:16:32(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi,
Did you put oil in both holes the front one and the back one? Also did you put one drop in each gear including the middle transmission?
It still sounds like the typical oil sound.

Regards
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 25 December 2020 03:16:53(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
That's definitely the sound of a dry point somewhere. I have heard it often myself. In my case it was a dry armature bearing. It could be , but be careful not to over oil the brush end of the motor. A bit of oil on the end of a pin could be enough, but you may need to work the motor shaft back and forward to get the oil in the right place.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline hxmiesa  
#7 Posted : 25 December 2020 09:42:17(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Listening to your comment in the video; YES, there needs to be a small "pad" of sponge like material to soak up oil, and keep the bearing lubricated. One on each side of the armature.
-Actually there is a current active thread here on the forum about alternative materials usefull for this purpose.

And YES, this is definitely the characteristic "oil sound", although -for a mechanically complex- loco like this, you might also look into bend gears, and check that it is all running freely;
You can remove the brushes for the motor and spin the wheels freely, and see if you can find a spot that has resistance.
Finally -in some rare cases- the SPRINGS pressing on the brushes themselves can be too strong and cause the friction.
(Brushes must of course NOT be oiled, and neither should the side rods be!)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Teichman317  
#8 Posted : 25 December 2020 14:35:35(UTC)
Teichman317

United States   
OK thanks for the comments. I think I pulled out the stuff in the little bearing box because I thought it was dirt. That was when I did the first cleaning.
Offline Teichman317  
#9 Posted : 25 December 2020 17:05:27(UTC)
Teichman317

United States   
OK A good oiling did the trick. The Loco runs quiter, but has sort of a slow top speed compared to some of my others. Are some locos designed to run slower?
Offline dominator  
#10 Posted : 25 December 2020 23:27:06(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Those older locos do run at different speeds. Its just the way it is. I have three BR23's [ DA800 etc ] and all are different. My two BR01's are different from each other as well. I Wouldn't necessarily say they were designed to run slower. Mind you different types of Locos are bound to be different. Both BR01's are noisey and one is noisier than the other [ gear noises ]. Yet some of my 50-70 year old geared locos are relatively quiet. A lot has been talked about on this forum relating to how the gears were made etc.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Teichman317  
#11 Posted : 27 December 2020 19:46:49(UTC)
Teichman317

United States   
Dereck

Thanks for chiming in. I have been to New Zealand, Both Islands and I got my US pilot licensed authorized in for use in New Zealand - that was in the 80's. Pretty country for sure. So I got most of my cars and locos from Ebay. I estimate none are newer than 25 years old. and I am guessing some date from the 50's and 60's. Is there any place I can go, here or anywhere on the web, to help identify all these locos and cars?

dave

Offline eduard71  
#12 Posted : 28 December 2020 20:03:50(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Originally Posted by: Teichman317 Go to Quoted Post
Dereck

Thanks for chiming in. I have been to New Zealand, Both Islands and I got my US pilot licensed authorized in for use in New Zealand - that was in the 80's. Pretty country for sure. So I got most of my cars and locos from Ebay. I estimate none are newer than 25 years old. and I am guessing some date from the 50's and 60's. Is there any place I can go, here or anywhere on the web, to help identify all these locos and cars?

dave

Hi, if your locomotives have the boxes, you can find the date of production on it and will give you an idea of the year of your locomotive. There are several types of boxes and that can also give to you an idea.

Here is a guide http://www.maerklinist.de/pages...dell/kartons/kartons.htm
Hope this help you.
Also, there is a book called Kohls that can drive you about the version and age of your locomotives.
I saw your collection and looks very nice several classic analog tech, I love those ones. I got this year a very nice 3045 which is like your 3046 that had the oil problem but for the Danish railroad, it is rare because it was issued only for two years 1967-68. Your one is the French class 150 in green and black colour, there is also the German one model 3047 it is all back with red wheels, the 3045 is black with black wheels and has an odd light arrangement.