Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline chuckr  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2020 22:37:53(UTC)
chuckr

United States   
This is my first post so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. Are there good resources for Z parts, particularly gears. The ones I'm currently looking for are no longer available through Marklin according to their German website. I've done some searching on ebay.

Here are two for instance: 26337 and 26330.
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2020 01:00:47(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello and welcome to your first inquiry on this forum,

It is strange, but I located both of these parts on EBay from a seller I am familiar with. Coccodrillo114 is the user ID. Good seller, but may take a few weeks to get what you need if it is not listed. Great communications even when your inquiry is in English. I just ordered a number of things I needed and have yet to receive them and that is something to keep in mind right now. Shipping may be delayed because of COVID-19, and I noted it may take a day or two to receive a reply when this was not the case on earlier orders. Those are small parts and may not add much in shipping costs. I always seem to find I need multiple items and save on the combined costs.

If you don’t want to go this route, you could try these stateside vendors:

https://ajckids.com/

Or

https://zscalehobo.com/m...klin_numbers.html#spares

Even if not listed, just ask if they can get the parts for you. At this point, it is possible only used parts are available.

Are those parts for a Croc? Great loco.

Best wishes

Again welcome. ~
Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2020 06:33:46(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi.

Just interested in which locomotive these parts are for?

There are times when the parts are combined and sold as an assembly. I discovered when this happens, the individual part may not be listed as available. If a newer version of the locomotive is released, it is possible the part may be the same on the new model but sold as an assembly.

Hope this makes sense.

Best wishes

Dwight
Offline zscalehobo  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2020 16:29:41(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
These are from a crocodile and I have them available.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline chuckr  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2020 02:54:11(UTC)
chuckr

United States   
Thanks all. Not from a croc. They're from an 8806.
Offline chuckr  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2020 03:27:37(UTC)
chuckr

United States   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
It is strange, but I located both of these parts on EBay from a seller I am familiar with. Coccodrillo114 is the user ID. Good seller

I did see those on ebay. Maybe I'm still a bit naive as I'm somewhat inexperienced with Z scale but...the 26337 with shipping would run around $44. Not sure if my 8806 is worth it. I'm trying to breath some new life into it. The gear is pretty much gone and there is also some wear on the worm gear on the motor shaft. I think the worm would be ok for awhile.

Hopefully this pic works...

PIC010.JPG
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 07 December 2020 03:53:22(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. That BR 78 is a great loco. I do recall it having these gears, but I have never seen one looking like this. Wow, that has certainly had it. Good to know the worm gear will work for a while, don’t know where you could get it. That gear must be common to a Croc too.

You are right, $44 for that gear is outrageous. I was thinking it was a mistake when submitted to EBay. Sometimes sellers get the decimal point wrong.

I would suggest checking into this gear with Frank. He will treat you right. Maybe he has the worm gear too.

Best wishes. Will be nice to get this loco working again.

Dwight
Offline chuckr  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2020 04:58:34(UTC)
chuckr

United States   
Wow, that has certainly had it.

I don't know what I did to this loko. It gets run at Christmas and my wife's birthday. I just got a new engine. I don't think it uses a worm gear as I took the top off for a looksee. Do 5 pole motors with worm gear wear out quicker? The smoking gun may be I wasn't aware that this area should be oiled.

I emailed Frank. Thanks!
Offline chuckr  
#9 Posted : 07 December 2020 05:05:54(UTC)
chuckr

United States   
My understanding from someone else is that the worm gear can't be replaced. It's not called out on the schematic. You have to replace the motor. I'll post a closeup of it tomorrow. I'd be interested if you guys think it's bad.
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 07 December 2020 05:17:10(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi.

No five poles don’t wear out the worm gear faster,but a lack of oil will cause problems like this. This and serious problems with the rest of the drive train. In z it is common for the oil to harden and seize up the moving parts, especially when not used often. There is even a name for it Hardened Oil Syndrome (HOS). The Marklin recommended oil can cause this. Many move to a thinner synthetic oil.

It is likely, the entire engine needs to be taken apart and cleaned to get this hardened oil out. That can be quite a task, but good news, Frank does this kind of work too.

If you are going to try this yourself, best wishes. Here is a parts diagram which may be helpful.

https://static.maerklin....c57f0e54e31434542387.pdf

Let us know how it goes.

Dwight
Offline chuckr  
#11 Posted : 07 December 2020 19:24:40(UTC)
chuckr

United States   
Any reason why I shouldn't use Horace Whitlock synthetic clock oil?

Here's the worm gear that mates to 26337. Not perfect but hoping it's good enough such that it won't damage a new gear.
pic 3.jpg
Offline Zme  
#12 Posted : 07 December 2020 22:56:06(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

I have not used and am not familiar with Horace Whitlock synthetic clock oil. I could not evaluate the appropriateness of using this on your z scale locomotive. Myself, I would not use it.

What I have had success with is Labelle’s oil. I have heard many are using the oil labeled 108. It seems to be formulated and have the correct properties for these small engines and gears.

Here is a source for this oil you may want to consider. It would seem, the correct oil would give cheap insurance against a repeat of this failure.

http://www.zscalemonster.com/labelle/labelle.htm

I am not certain if the worm gear is available. Considering the damage done to that small gear, it would seem some damage or deep wear might have occurred on this gear. This may not be a big issue, however, especially if the correct lube is also added to the gear box. A part such as this could be as cheap as $4 or $5. Getting it replaced may be a task requiring special tools and several points of failure possible during the process. Check this website for info when a new armature is installed. There may be some interesting information included.

http://www.zscale.org/

That is likely a $60.00 motor to replace.

Just a side question: did you dissemble your engine? If so, be careful during reassembly and search this forum on the topic of “quartering” your drive wheels. If the wheels are not correctly synchronized it will not work. Also a point of concern, be careful not to drop or lose parts. This engine, while not looking very old, has been around since 1991. Lost parts are hard to replace and take time to get. Especially watch for that little spring on the inside of your coupler. I have spent what seems like hours looking for a dropped one.

I attach the spring to the little coupler post with a small dab of super glue. Just let it dry throughly. This helps when working on any z scale locomotive.

If this all seems a bit overwhelming, relax, you can do it.

Best wishes

Dwight
Offline chuckr  
#13 Posted : 08 December 2020 00:47:14(UTC)
chuckr

United States   
I thank you Zme. I'll check out Labelle's. I have the clock oil on hand as I've done a little clock work...enough to be dangerous. Similar to my train experience. Haha! Thanks for that website. To answer your question; I have disassembled my engine. I've not heard of quartering but I've not disassembled the drive wheels, only the gears I've been yammering on about by pushing out a tiny pin. I have a cheapo digital microscope that I used for the pictures. It does pretty well considering the cost. I tossed the mount that came with it and mounted it to a modified swing arm lamp.

I'm really hoping to get this loko moving again.
Offline chuckr  
#14 Posted : 08 December 2020 00:54:21(UTC)
chuckr

United States   
I posted this in the for sale...

Anyone interested in these? The 8979 is complete but apparently not the 8978. Looking to just recoup the cost of shipping.

20201207_123207.jpg
Offline chuckr  
#15 Posted : 26 December 2020 21:10:53(UTC)
chuckr

United States   
I would suggest checking into this gear with Frank. He will treat you right.

You were right about Frank. Got the gears I needed from him!

Offline Zme  
#16 Posted : 27 December 2020 04:53:24(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Great! I hope you were able to get some of the correct oil too.

Hopefully you will be able to get your locomotive working again.

Best wishes

Dwight