Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2020 11:12:40(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, I’m going to get an NS 2200 diesel, but I’m not sure if the Roco version is any better than the Piko version? Any ideas or points of view would be welcome. I’m learning towards the Piko version 😁Cheers Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2020 12:18:03(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Sometimes the loco has more detail when you take a magnifying glass otherwise I'm happy with both Roco or Piko locos., prices can be cheaper with Piko all depends which dealer you purchase the loco from., another point I would like too make is whether the loco is digital or analog, if analog you can add your own decoder otherwise buying a digital loco from Roco you'll find they most probably have a Zimo whereas the Piko loco could have an ESU decoder.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline danmarklinman  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2020 14:23:48(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Sometimes the loco has more detail when you take a magnifying glass otherwise I'm happy with both Roco or Piko locos., prices can be cheaper with Piko all depends which dealer you purchase the loco from., another point I would like too make is whether the loco is digital or analog, if analog you can add your own decoder otherwise buying a digital loco from Roco you'll find they most probably have a Zimo whereas the Piko loco could have an ESU decoder.

John

Something to think about there. The Roco locos do recognise Marklin braking modules which is a plus, do they both have close coupling mounts or is the coupler mounted on the bogie? Cheers Dan
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline JWO  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2020 15:34:47(UTC)
JWO

Netherlands   
Depends which version of the Piko you are looking at. The more expensive sound version has also "telex" couplers. I have the version without sound which also runs very nice. One small thing to note is that the Piko version doesn't come with the correct forward lights at the cabin side. It is missing the white top light. There are however guides how to add a LED to get the correct light scheme. I have no idea how it compares to the roco version.

Johan
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2020 18:14:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post

John

Something to think about there. The Roco locos do recognise Marklin braking modules which is a plus, do they both have close coupling mounts or is the coupler mounted on the bogie? Cheers Dan

Dan, these days are gone whereas the coupler is mounted on the bogie, they usually have their own coupling shaft mechanism, it has nothing to do with the brand name of a loco its the decoder which is the deciding factor whether or not a decoder recognizes the Märklin braking system, with all ESU decoders you have to turn of the DC mode.

John

Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2020 18:16:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JWO Go to Quoted Post
Depends which version of the Piko you are looking at. The more expensive sound version has also "telex" couplers. I have the version without sound which also runs very nice. One small thing to note is that the Piko version doesn't come with the correct forward lights at the cabin side. It is missing the white top light. There are however guides how to add a LED to get the correct light scheme. I have no idea how it compares to the roco version.

Johan

Johan, I also noticed it on some locos there have been compromises made, when you buy a sound version sometimes these extras are included.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline danmarklinman  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2020 20:49:28(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post

John

Dan, these days are gone whereas the coupler is mounted on the bogie, they usually have their own coupling shaft mechanism, it has nothing to do with the brand name of a loco its the decoder which is the deciding factor whether or not a decoder recognizes the Märklin braking system, with all ESU decoders you have to turn of the DC mode.

John

Hi, I have a MM2, so I’m not sure if I can turn dc mode off?
I have Roco locos as well as Piko, so if the Piko one is more available I will buy that. I not massively upbset if the light function is not totally correct, I just want it to look right and run well. I have noticed that Piko locos don’t have an issue with Marklin buffer height against Marklin close couplers. I would like to no if the Piko automatic couplers work with Marklin close couplers. Anyone no? 👍
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 26 November 2020 21:11:57(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I have the Roco version that was factory digital (non sound). I bought it secondhand here on the forum and I have been extreemely happy with it. It runs smooth and quiet, and the detail is excellent.

That said, the person I bought it from was replacing it with a Piko version, due to the handrails on the Piko being metal rather than plastic as the Roco one is. I haven't broken the handrails yet, but the metal would be more durable.
Offline danmarklinman  
#9 Posted : 26 November 2020 21:40:21(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
I have the Roco version that was factory digital (non sound). I bought it secondhand here on the forum and I have been extreemely happy with it. It runs smooth and quiet, and the detail is excellent.

That said, the person I bought it from was replacing it with a Piko version, due to the handrails on the Piko being metal rather than plastic as the Roco one is. I haven't broken the handrails yet, but the metal would be more durable.

Yes metal hand rails would be better 👍
Cheers for the info👍
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan