Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rickmann  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2020 20:46:12(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Hello Everyone

Can anyone inform me if there are Z scale Deutsche Bahn (DB) decals for locomotives?

I am thinking of painting some locomotives, but after that, I would need the decals to finish the decorations.

Anyone care to point me in some (usefull) directions???

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Ricardo - Portugal
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rickmann
Offline Big AL  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2020 22:31:11(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
I have been thinking about this very problem for my Shorty Class 20 model. I was thinking of 3d printing a negative, then casting a silicone "stamp" of the negative and then using the "stamp" to transfer print on my new loco?

I considered a vinyl or masking tape stencil, but I think it would be problematic to centre and apply. A stamp could be used over and over again.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Big AL
Offline Rickmann  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2020 22:40:32(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Big AL Go to Quoted Post
I have been thinking about this very problem for my Shorty Class 20 model. I was thinking of 3d printing a negative, then casting a silicone "stamp" of the negative and then using the "stamp" to transfer print on my new loco?

I considered a vinyl or masking tape stencil, but I think it would be problematic to centre and apply. A stamp could be used over and over again.

Hello again

Meanwhile I found this website:

https://www.kuswa.de

My faint German language skills makes me thing they have decals and photo etched signs.

Anyone can confirm? pr-z.pdf (44kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
Offline Big AL  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2020 23:41:19(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
pr-z Translated to EN.pdf (77kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Translated the PDF to English.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Big AL
Offline Rickmann  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2020 23:46:53(UTC)
Rickmann

Portugal   
pr-z Translated to EN.pdf (77kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Translated the PDF to English.

Big Al, first of all thank you.

So it seams I was correct. Problem solved, I'll order some decals to be able to paint my Br 260 in different paint schemes.

Best Regards
Ricardo
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rickmann
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 07 November 2020 14:56:20(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

Printing your own waterslide decals is quite straightforward and can give good results, though not so much on textured surfaces and best of all when they have a recess to sit in. I have used them quite widely on vehicles and other detailing items on my layout.

Cheers

Chris

Offline Big AL  
#7 Posted : 07 November 2020 16:02:12(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

Printing your own waterslide decals is quite straightforward and can give good results, though not so much on textured surfaces and best of all when they have a recess to sit in. I have used them quite widely on vehicles and other detailing items on my layout.

Cheers

Chris

I have a colour laser printer and actually some water slide transfer paper, but at these tiny sizes the print quality is too grainy for me. I also cannot print in white with decals.

I also considered Letteraset dry transfers, but then I recalled doing that as an apprentice in a drawing office way back in the day and the horror of doing that came flooding back.

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#8 Posted : 08 November 2020 16:01:31(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I have a colour laser printer and actually some water slide transfer paper, but at these tiny sizes the print quality is too grainy for me. I also cannot print in white with decals.

I also considered Letteraset dry transfers, but then I recalled doing that as an apprentice in a drawing office way back in the day and the horror of doing that came flooding back.

Do Letraset even still make their dry transfers?! It is actually amazing how much engineering has changed over the last 40 odd years. When I first started work PCBs were still being laid out with tape on film!

I print onto transfer paper using an inkjet printer and the results are acceptable (to me) if not perfect. Here are some vehicles I decorated using home-printed transfers so you can judge whether or not you'd be happy with the standard of printing.

Z scale vehicles

These were done with transparent transfer paper. The white transfers aren't as successful and really do benefit from having a recess in which to place them so you can disguise the edges.

Cheers

Chris
Offline Carim  
#9 Posted : 08 November 2020 17:22:46(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Chris,

I think your vans look pretty good. I am going to use this method to print out a few "DB" logos. I also like how you opened the door on the BMW(?).

Carim
Offline Big AL  
#10 Posted : 08 November 2020 18:04:00(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Very nice vehicles Chris. I would be more than happy with those.

I am being way too anal about the whole thing. Letteraset can still be bought alongside other vendors of similar dry transfers. It is ye olde schoole though!
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#11 Posted : 08 November 2020 19:35:17(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Chris,

I think your vans look pretty good. I am going to use this method to print out a few "DB" logos. I also like how you opened the door on the BMW(?).

Carim

Thank you and, yes, it is a BMW. It is part of a little cameo I have set up with a sheep in the road and the driver trying to "shoo" it off. I wish there were more Z scale vehicles available - the 1:200 scale cars you can buy on ebay don't look right once you've seen a 1:220 one on the layout. I have managed to pick up an old Noch post office set, which I have repainted and a Marklin commercial vehicle set, which is where the vans in the picture come from.

All the best

Chris
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#12 Posted : 08 November 2020 19:41:05(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Very nice vehicles Chris. I would be more than happy with those.

I am being way too anal about the whole thing. Letteraset can still be bought alongside other vendors of similar dry transfers. It is ye olde schoole though!

Thank you. I think it is right to be critical, though, and to try and achieve a better level of detail than is visible to the naked eye. Not that I consider myself an expert modeller, by any means, but I think going for that extra level of detail does show through - most especially in photographs, of course.

All the best

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#13 Posted : 08 November 2020 20:25:34(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
In case anyone is interested, here is a vending machine that my friend 3D printed for me and which I then decorated with home printed waterslide decals on white decal paper.

Vending Machine.jpg

And here are some recycling bins Colin also 3D printed for me and which I decorated with decals printed on white and transparent paper.

Recycling.jpg

Home printed decals are not perfect, but I think do enhance a model when used judiciously.

Hope this is of interest

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Big AL  
#14 Posted : 08 November 2020 20:47:56(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Those all look great. Especially when you consider those recycling bins have to be 5 or 6mm tall.

As for the cars, I have a few I have Z Scaled successfully and printed and a few that don't scale so well due to thin features. Its a bit hit an miss though, and you probably don't want to experiment with your pals printer too much.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 08 November 2020 21:20:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
When I first started work PCBs were still being laid out with tape on film!

Ah, that takes me back to my apprenticeship days ... Woot

Bishop tapes were what we used, and if you were getting really high tech, then red and blue tapes for double sided boards ... Wink
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#16 Posted : 08 November 2020 22:16:31(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
As for the cars, I have a few I have Z Scaled successfully and printed and a few that don't scale so well due to thin features. Its a bit hit an miss though, and you probably don't want to experiment with your pals printer too much.

And then there's the question of painting them, that being a skill I don't possess. With the Marklin vehicles, I disassembled them before spraying the body shells, so as not to have to be careful around the windows. I did touch in few details, such as hubcaps, number plates and lights and I think the result is just better than if I hadn't bothered but they don't bear close examination.

Incidentally, I'm very happy to share the 3D models I have if anyone is interested. Aside from the vending machine and recycling bins I have benches, tables and chairs, fences, barbecues, sun-loungers, aircon units and a skip. Also wall panels for various buildings but I suspect they won't be much help to anyone.

Cheers

Chris
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#17 Posted : 08 November 2020 22:18:59(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Ah, that takes me back to my apprenticeship days ... Woot

Bishop tapes were what we used, and if you were getting really high tech, then red and blue tapes for double sided boards ... Wink

Back then I used to dream of the luxury of a double sided board! How times have changed, the last one I worked on was 16 layer, and that's nothing these days!

Cheers

Chris
Offline Big AL  
#18 Posted : 08 November 2020 23:43:15(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   

Incidentally, I'm very happy to share the 3D models I have if anyone is interested. Aside from the vending machine and recycling bins I have benches, tables and chairs, fences, barbecues, sun-loungers, aircon units and a skip. Also wall panels for various buildings but I suspect they won't be much help to anyone.

Likewise I would be happy to share my own STL models with people for non-commercial personal use.

Maybe it would be useful to start a small repository of Z Scale, tested and printable models? If so, I guess it would probably be best done on a dedicated thread with a link to a Thingiverse or MyMiniFactory model?

Both Thingiverse and MyMiniFactory have terrible search tools that is why I suggested a thread here to act as an index. BTW you cannot upload STL files as attachments here.