Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Big AL  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2020 11:51:15(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
I bought one of these Rokuhan Shorty Z chassis as an experiment to see if I could make a Class 20 inspired bodyshell for it.

I stayed up way too long last night finishing the first incarnation...

https://imgur.com/a/skFs3xb
Obviously it is a bit fatter and shorter than a true scale Class 20. I intended it to have that Rokuhan Shorty Z aesthetic.

I am going to try and SLA print today. I am expecting a disaster. :)

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Big AL
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2020 15:18:15(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Big AL Go to Quoted Post
I bought one of these Rokuhan Shorty Z chassis as an experiment to see if I could make a Class 20 inspired bodyshell for it.

I stayed up way too long last night finishing the first incarnation...

https://imgur.com/a/skFs3xb
Obviously it is a bit fatter and shorter than a true scale Class 20. I intended it to have that Rokuhan Shorty Z aesthetic.

I am going to try and SLA print today. I am expecting a disaster. :)

Looks great! You're obviously very skilled with 3D modelling! I've modelled and printed a few items for my own layout, but nothing to this standard or complexity!

Good luck with the print!

Chris
Offline Big AL  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2020 15:41:24(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Thanks Chris, My CAD skills are balanced out by my poor printing and painting skills. :)

First print was a pancake on the print bed. Second print is underway.
Offline Big AL  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2020 17:38:17(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
It actually printed, really well.

https://imgur.com/a/0XE77hJ

I am printing another because my painting skills are worse than terrible.
Offline Bahner  
#5 Posted : 01 November 2020 06:10:44(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
It actually printed, really well.

https://imgur.com/a/0XE77hJ

I am printing another because my painting skills are worse than terrible.

Nice job on this one! ThumpUp

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bahner
Offline Big AL  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2020 12:01:06(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Painted by hand, not my best paint job and finally figured out how to embed images inline.

IMG_0465.JPEGIMG_0466.JPEG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Big AL
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 01 November 2020 14:02:51(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Painted by hand, not my best paint job and finally figured out how to embed images inline.

IMG_0465.JPEGIMG_0466.JPEG

That looks really good - and you are too modest about your painting abilities! If you need to see what really dreadful painting looks like, I can send some pictures of my own work! For this reason the windows, doors and other "fittings" of my 3D printed buildings were printed as separate items so I could paint them first before assembling everything together.

What printer are you using? It's a very clean print which not all of mine have been, though being mostly buildings I have tried to use that texture to enhance rather than detract from the final effect.

Cheers

Chris
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 01 November 2020 19:29:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Now all it needs is a face on the end to be part of a Thomas collection BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Offline Big AL  
#9 Posted : 01 November 2020 23:54:01(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

What printer are you using? It's a very clean print which not all of mine have been, though being mostly buildings I have tried to use that texture to enhance rather than detract from the final effect.

Thanks Chris. This was printed on an Anycubic Photon with Anycubic brand grey. The surface details are mostly 0.2mm extrusions from the face of the model. I could not incise the surface detail as the shell is only 0.5mm for much of its length. The exception to that is the cab windows and doors are incised 0.5mm as I had a bit more "meat" to play with there.

What resin are you using? I have found it makes all the difference. The opaque resins produce finer detail than the transparent green goop due to it's tendency to scatter and bleed UV deep into the resin as you print.

If you look at the back of one of the photos you can see some doors printed and a yard office model. The window framing on the yard office is 0.1 wide and extruded from the face. The door height is 9mm on the yard office.

Over all I am pretty happy when all is said an done. I have a funky shunter for £24.95 + postage and a little bit of time. I never really built if with a layout in mind. I will use it as my "stunt" engine in the meantime.

I am happy to share the STL with anybody who ones to print one for themselves.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Big AL
Offline Big AL  
#10 Posted : 01 November 2020 23:55:46(UTC)
Big AL

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Now all it needs is a face on the end to be part of a Thomas collection BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Choo choo, I am a train!!! :D
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 02 November 2020 13:26:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Choo choo, I am a train!!! :D

Well, I was thinking of Diesel. BigGrin
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#12 Posted : 02 November 2020 21:07:58(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Big AL;621525
Thanks Chris. This was printed on an Anycubic Photon with Anycubic brand grey. The surface details are mostly 0.2mm extrusions from the face of the model. I could not incise the surface detail as the shell is only 0.5mm for much of its length. The exception to that is the cab windows and doors are incised 0.5mm as I had a bit more "meat" to play with there.

What resin are you using? I have found it makes all the difference. The opaque resins produce finer detail than the transparent green goop due to it's tendency to scatter and bleed UV deep into the resin as you print.

If you look at the back of one of the photos you can see some doors printed and a yard office model. The window framing on the yard office is 0.1 wide and extruded from the face. The door height is 9mm on the yard office.

Over all I am pretty happy when all is said an done. I have a funky shunter for £24.95 + postage and a little bit of time. I never really built if with a layout in mind. I will use it as my "stunt" Go to Quoted Post

I'm afraid I take the easy way out and get a friend to print stuff for me. He has a couple of "filament" printers and a small SLA printer but, I'm afraid I don't know the details or which materials he uses. Good tip about using opaque resin, though. The items I have had done have been in transparent resin and I'm very happy with them, but good to know there's even better quality to be had if I need it.