Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2020 20:04:11(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Everyone,
Just wonder if it’s a valid question ‘cause for me eBay was the way of finally getting some Märklin models in to my collection and which I have missed due to various reasons in the past.
So far so good - I did burn my fingers once otherwise I am quiet happy with my purchases.
I would like to find out what’s other people experience with second hand market.
What was your best Märklin purchase and what was not so great. For me Brawa K.P.E.V. S9 Steam locomotive and Märklin Kaiser Wilhelm Zug ( DELTA version - I was able to secure only 4 cars so set is incomplete) Few times had opportunity to buy whole DIGITAL set but never decided to buy second set ) Hopefully one day I may be able to find 2 missing wagons.
Sooo Gentlemen- What’s your experience? Which model was a delight and which was miserable disappointment for you. Just curious... anyone willing to reply.
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2020 20:36:39(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Worst experiences come to mind more than the best, but for me there have been a few key themes:

Ebay: "like new" often does not mean anything near like new on an ebay purchase. If it isn't marketed 100% transparently (in terms of good images and thorough description), ask before you buy, and even after that make sure you can return. A great example is I once bought a set that had sat in a store window forever, and was "new". The listing didn't show the train out of the box, and in fairness may never have been taken out. On arrival each side of the train was an entire different color of blue and tan due to the sun fade. And I mean entirely. Despite this and my sending images, the seller still made a HUGE fuss about taking it back and claimed it was somehow my fault.

Dealers: don't always stand by product. About 3 years ago I bought a 31100 locomotive set from a VERY well known US dealer, thinking I'd try the him out for a change and spread some local US dealer support around. The crocodile in the set had serious issues with heat & performance. I suspect being a mechanical mis-alignment causing decoder load/strain and therefore heat and stuttered performance. (on top of a horrendous noise) The dealer argued with me that "that is just how 3015's run" and refused to take it back for warranty repair. I then took a video in comparison to a 3015 to demonstrate this was not "normal". The train went back, sat on the shelf for a year with lies of "its with marklin for repair" whenever I asked. I became so annoyed I reached out to Marklin directly about it. Sure enough, they never even received it and he was lying to me. I was so frustrated I told him to send it back and I'd deal with marklin myself. I then had a local repair contact do it at a cost to me, and sold the thing so I would never have to see it again. Terrible experience, and the dealer turned out to be a real lying jerk.
SBB Era 2-5
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2020 21:02:57(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
wow John, that croc is one for the books, I think you should name the dealer...

But I also don't want this to turn into a litany of eBay horror experiences... of which we do read plenty....

I have generally had good result on eBay and have been using it since 1997, but I have mostly bought coaches and not big items, like locomotives, that have a lot more functionality that can fail.

I don't recall any particular purchase as standing out to be memorable.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2020 22:10:07(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
wow John, that croc is one for the books, I think you should name the dealer...

But I also don't want this to turn into a litany of eBay horror experiences... of which we do read plenty....

I have generally had good result on eBay and have been using it since 1997, but I have mostly bought coaches and not big items, like locomotives, that have a lot more functionality that can fail.

I don't recall any particular purchase as standing out to be memorable.

I have to concur that in general, ebay is a great experience, and disappointments have been more a case of due diligence than a mischievous seller

As to the dealer I mentioned, that was actually the 3rd bad story with him. I won't post the name here to avoid picking a fight, but I'll happily share with anyone via email if curious or they are having an issue and are curious if it is the same retailer.
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 29 October 2020 01:25:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
My best eBay experience was picking up a C-Sinus Re 460 which had not yet been announced to the public yet. It was the 39608 with the ChemOil livery and I was lucky to come across it shortly after it was posted. When I mentioned it in the forum, a certain member had a bad day and wanted to know the serial number so that he could report it because those who got an advance model were not supposed to resell it...

My worst experience was a Wabu model where the seller tried to hide damage and then refused any settlement. I shipped it back and then involved eBay and they ended up reversing the transaction and refunding my money. I even got a goodwill adjustment on the return shipping.

My funniest one was a minor auction (80 CHF) where the seller never delivered the goods and did not return messages. I was in Europe on business, so I asked a friend to pass by the guy's place. My friend took some photos and so a week later when I was in Zurich, I called the guy, described his house, his car and commented on his pet and wouldn't you know it, the payment was in an priority envelope at my place when I got back to Canada...

Regards

Mike C
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline owidgie  
#6 Posted : 29 October 2020 02:01:06(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
I bought a green DL 800 on Craigs list for $300.00 - Ended up selling it on Ebay for $1500.00

Rick
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by owidgie
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 29 October 2020 03:29:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello,
I keep an eye on some English auction houses, because I am interested in English LNER or GNR models in OO and O gauge.

One day I spotted a listing which was a box full of Hornby Dublo track and accessories from the 1950s.
In amongst this was a Märklin HS700 electric locomotive which was made from 1936-39.
The auctioneer had marked this content as "unknown maker".

Because I knew nothing about these older Märklin I made enquiries and found out that the HS700 was worth about $3000.
It was made to run on electric 3 rail track.

I really am not interested in collecting, buying and selling so I asked a friend if he would be interested.
He said yes, and the result was that we got the whole box of stuff for around $400.
I got the Hornby Dublo, and he got the HS700.
I believe we were both happy.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 29 October 2020 04:31:17(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
My best purchase was from Ebay.au, a recently bought a new Austrian electric loco from Roco with Zimo sound, I had 2 benefits, a.) the postage, b.) a higher price of over A$ 250.00 from another source for the same loco, total price A$ 400.00 incl. postage, it usually sells for Euro 400.00 + postage. (Euro 65.00), for some unknown reason, other loco items from this seller had been A$ 150.00 - 200.00 higher.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline seatrains  
#9 Posted : 29 October 2020 05:21:10(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
My best Marklin purchase ever was a pristine, new in box, TT 800 in our penny saver, little nickel newspaper. The old women who was selling her sons estate was asking $200 when similar ones on ebay were $700 to 800. In the end, I felt sorry for her loss and situation and bought the remnants of her sons Lionel layout also so the whole lot was $400. One of my fellow ETE buddies called her on the phone while I was loading the boxes of Lionel stuff in my car. BigGrin She told him, he was too late that a nice guy named Thom had already purchased it...
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 29 October 2020 05:34:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
About 3 years ago I bought a 31100 locomotive set ..... The crocodile in the set had serious issues with heat & performance. I suspect being a mechanical mis-alignment causing decoder load/strain and therefore heat and stuttered performance, (on top of a horrendous noise)....... I then had a local repair contact do it at a cost to me, and sold the thing so I would never have to see it again.

Yes you did sell the Crocodile, to me in fact but you didn't tell me that story at the time! I hope it doesn't turn out to be a bad eBay experience for me!

I haven't run it a lot, apart from a 2 hour session at a friend's place. To be fair I don't recall any issues with it at the time, but in light of this new information I should probably give it another run.

Given I paid $500 USD for the loco and given the above story, I would have hoped for a bit more transparency around the loco's condition at the time.

And, no I don't ever recall seeing the following thread.

https://www.marklin-user...m-31100-Loco-set--Advice

Edited by user 29 October 2020 12:09:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 29 October 2020 13:50:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I bought a couple of Br64 locos from eBay. I haven't gone and dug out the items to check the item number, but IIRC the first one was a 39642, listed as 'not working'. It had apparently been tested and the seller couldn't make it run. I figured I had the knowledge to fix it so bid on it and got it for a very good price. When I received it I got my cs1 out to check it, and low and behold it registered and ran happily. I suspect the seller tried it with DCC (this loco uses the first generation mfx decoder that doesn't understand DCC).

The second Br64 was a 39640, described as having no sound. Again I got it for a reasonable price, and on testing it found that it registers with the road number for a 39645. I suspect the owner had bought a pair of 39640s and a 39645, swapped the 39645 decoder with the decoder and speaker out of one of the 39640s and the sold the silent 39640. The 39645 comes from the factory without sound. This loco is on my list to be fitted with a Loksound decoder as finances permit.
Offline hxmiesa  
#12 Posted : 29 October 2020 14:57:12(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Come on, lets try to keep this positive.
Although I really feel for the members who has suffered / are suffering problems with sellers on Ebay and the like, there are already SO many threads about that. Even a whole sub-forum dedicated to it...

Let´s have at least ONE "Hurray"-thread about some good experiences!

I dont have a long history of buying online, but I am very happy with these two buys;

1: Marklin, H0, 37083, Class 10 002, Steam Locomotive, Digital, Mfx, Full Sounds.
Used, but in perfect condition; 182,47 EUR
I was the only bidder willing to pay the starting auction price.

2: A lot/bundle with BR23 Märklin 39230, Passenger car set (sleeping waggons) 43204 and the special sound effects additional sleeper 43252. I paid €369,-.
All used, but in very good condition.
Again, I was the only bidder.

-Also happy to have found 2 separate cars for my metal Rheingold set (4228), so that the train now consist of an impressive 7 cars.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline foumaro  
#13 Posted : 29 October 2020 15:15:11(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
My experience with ebay is very positive,i am member since 2005.I have bought a lot of locomotives and wagons,i had broken items twice but the problems solved from the sellers with refunds.My best bidding was for a USA starter set,29490 brand new for 260 euro only.LOL ThumpUp
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#14 Posted : 29 October 2020 16:33:10(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
About 3 years ago I bought a 31100 locomotive set ..... The crocodile in the set had serious issues with heat & performance. I suspect being a mechanical mis-alignment causing decoder load/strain and therefore heat and stuttered performance, (on top of a horrendous noise)....... I then had a local repair contact do it at a cost to me, and sold the thing so I would never have to see it again.

Yes you did sell the Crocodile, to me in fact but you didn't tell me that story at the time! I hope it doesn't turn out to be a bad eBay experience for me!

I haven't run it a lot, apart from a 2 hour session at a friend's place. To be fair I don't recall any issues with it at the time, but in light of this new information I should probably give it another run.

Given I paid $500 USD for the loco and given the above story, I would have hoped for a bit more transparency around the loco's condition at the time.

And, no I don't ever recall seeing the following thread.

https://www.marklin-user...m-31100-Loco-set--Advice

Hi there- not to fear! That actually is not the same croc, that was from the replacement set I bought, the SJ loco of which is in my display case. The original set was repaired by an authorized dealer, and sold on ebay (with the repair receipt. No need to worry on your side, I didn't even think to flag that!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Rwill  
#15 Posted : 29 October 2020 18:42:36(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I find in the UK that British Marklin sellers vary from the sublime to the ridiculous. Very often you see “Dads” old loks being put up. Often a very ordinary, not that old, distinctly play worn delta lok maybe worth thirty quid is up for £300 and stays there until withdrawn. Perhaps but I doubt it they occasionally find a “mug”.

At the other end you find some incredible bargains. As I expanded my first digital set up I was looking for a lead 6038 and found one for about a fiver which was Ok but almost the same again on postage so I looked at sellers other items – a couple of k83’s , an S88 (unused) and a 72441 signal module(unused) all at a fiver but the postage was still a fiver for everything so for £25 I bought the lot and waited with trepidation for my parcel probably smelling of burnt out k83. Everything was in new condition boxed with instructions and is still going today except the signal module which I never had the inclination to puzzle out so if anyone wants it I would accept thirty quid plus postage!
Offline eduard71  
#16 Posted : 29 October 2020 19:30:08(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi,
My best Ebay buy was a 39983 BR 798 rail bus weathered with snow. I paid 59 US$ for it. The seller put the item as damaged not working and I bid on it for the shells since I already have the 39980.
When the item arrived I tested it with my CS2 and it initially reocrd it self and started to work, but then as soon as it reached the first curve it stop and was like dead Confused . I did review it looking for contact problems in the slider but could not see anything wrong. Then I tried using an analog transfo and it worked but did the same as soon as it reached a curve. In my opinion the problem was related to a conducting problem so I decided to take out the shell and inspect the board and the decoder. As soon as I reach the board I realized that the small screw that holds the board to the chasis and actually serves as ground was loose. I tightened the screw and that was it, problem fixed BigGrin and an almost new 39983 for 59 US$.

Regards

Eduardo
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline EMD_GP7  
#17 Posted : 29 October 2020 21:32:40(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi all.
In February 2018 I won a job lot of Marklin together with anaother lot of Triang.
The marklin lot consisted of....
Set 3103 , good condition in box.
Loco 3029, also boxed.
Two wagons.
60 assorted 'M' track items.
4 points including 2 electric.
And 11 Faller houses - built but in good condition. Some used on my narrow gauge H0e and Trolley-bus vintage layout
Collected from 25 miles away in snowy conditions for £41.
The triang items were similar for £40.
Regards, Colin.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 29 October 2020 23:50:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi there- not to fear! That actually is not the same croc, that was from the replacement set I bought, the SJ loco of which is in my display case. The original set was repaired by an authorized dealer, and sold on ebay (with the repair receipt. No need to worry on your side, I didn't even think to flag that!

Hi John, I did actually wonder along those lines as to whether it was a different loco, as I was trying to reconcile in my mind between your story and what I perceived and believed to be a perfectly good loco! All good!
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#19 Posted : 30 October 2020 23:24:03(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
I have bought most of my stock from eBay. I have tried to develop a mutually trusted relationship with a few sellers, and I feel it has worked out.

My latest eBay acquisition, the Märklin 4228 Rheingold set, may serve as an example of a satisfactory transaction. It was not the cheapest set on the market, but it was the one I trusted most because I have dealt with the seller numerous times, and I knew that he will handle any issues rapidly and comprehensively. Moreover, he gave me a special deal when I asked.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline dzug  
#20 Posted : 31 October 2020 20:37:03(UTC)
dzug

Canada   
I have had a few very good locomotive finds when I have stumbled across a listing that was miscategorized or had little or no description. I forget the exact number but picked up a 39xxx C-sine lok for under $75 once this way.

My most 'memorable' buy was a fairly hard-to-find Marklin set of an OBB flatcar with a transport wagon of some sort on it. It came packaged in the typical Marklin cardboard cover over foam tray. The seller had not put an elastic around the set and not put enough padding in the box. By the time it made its way from Europe to the west coast of Canada it had completely disassembled itself in the box and arrived as a 'kit'. About 95% of the parts of both the flatcar and the wagon were loose in the box - the wheel sets were off, the trucks and close couplers mechanisms off the frame of the car etc etc. The amazing thing was that none of the parts were broken and I was able to reassemble it as good as new.
Offline sudibarba  
#21 Posted : 08 November 2020 01:49:20(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
My best we.re two Northlanders at well below Market price,
My Alaska train was also my favorite a very good price.

Eric
Online Ausipeet  
#22 Posted : 08 November 2020 02:58:33(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
A Black 05 which is at this very moment somewhere in the air or at an airport waiting to be delivered to me from the Netherlands, was posted to me last Saturday who knows how long it will take to get to me here in Adelaide. As soon as it has been delivered i will post photos of the item.
Offline Dave Banks  
#23 Posted : 08 November 2020 10:01:47(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
37051 streamlined or 39050 ?
D.A.Banks
Offline Mr. Ron  
#24 Posted : 07 December 2020 20:48:29(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I have bought over $1000 of Marklin track, locos and cars from E-bay and have been satisfied with my purchases. If something is not working as well as it should;, no problemo. Having much experience building/fixing things, I just go ahead and fix it. I know there are many who expect everything to work without any input, but there are others who have enough skill to make things work. A loco with a burned out motor is a different matter. That borders on fraud for selling something that is faulty without informing the buyer of such fault. I bought a loco that had a burned out bulb. I just replaced the bulb and everything is fine.
Offline kweekalot  
#25 Posted : 09 December 2020 19:01:51(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
My best ever purchase was this Trix Express 20/57 from 1937 on German ebay.
When I received this 83 year old loco, it seemed to be a very bad horror purchase.

The brushholder was broken due to zincpest and quite some parts of the reverse unit were missing.
But I could replaced those with 100% original pre-war parts that I bought at the club and now it's the best running pre war loco in my collection and the best looking 20/57 that I ever saw on the internet.

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#26 Posted : 09 December 2020 19:37:57(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
My best ever purchase was this Trix Express 20/57 from 1937 on German ebay.
When I received this 83 year old loco, it seemed to be a very bad horror purchase.

The brushholder was broken due to zincpest and quite some parts of the reverse unit were missing.
But I could replaced those with 100% original pre-war parts that I bought at the club and now it's the best running pre war loco in my collection and the best looking 20/57 that I ever saw on the internet.

UserPostedImage

Hallo kweekalot,
I agree with you on this one indeed ...locomotive is in pristine condition. What a great find... it’s like hitting a lottery;)
Cheers,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline Nibelungen  
#27 Posted : 10 December 2020 01:33:57(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
Best purchase so far a V160 (V 160 003) Lollo in Era III livery, on eBay for about £45.00 plus postage. Wasn’t sure it was digital/delta but it is. ID 22 ( Dip switch decoder but not sure if it’s 4 or 8 dip switches and haven’t been able to work out how to get into it to check, Had to change another dip switch locomotives ID) Also got a good deal on a V80 ( V80 004) with a DCC decoder in it. There’s one on eBay at the moment for £124.00. I know I didn’t pay that for it.
Since posting the above, I’ve had an even better bargain, A BR 50, paid £90-00 plus postage for it, thought it was an 8 dip switch digital loco Model number 33840, it arrived an I opened up the tender to check what it’s digital I’d was and discovered that it was equipped for sound, when I finally managed to get my CS2 to find it, discovered it was MFX, very pleased with this ( though the volume is not very high even when on maximum) I will probably fit a sleuthed smoke generator to it eventually.

Edited by user 13 January 2021 19:14:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified