Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SJN  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2020 00:43:24(UTC)
SJN

Denmark   
Hi Guys.

Im a total newbie to trains. I dont even have a Marklin train track yet.....but will have one tomorrow :-)

I do own two Roco trains that have the 3 rail system, and one has a lokpilot decoder in it, and the other a loksound 2 in it. So both are for digital AC use.
Im going to buy the Marklin no 29000 digital starter set which has an oval track and the mobile station and power pack and connector box. That should get those running.

I also have some old analog DC train sets, and was reading up about how people converted them by installing a 3rd rail under the train, and wiring it up correctly to ESU decoder.

Then I thought......would it be possible to just modify the Marklin track instead ? . Cut the connection of the 2 train rails so they are isolated from each other, and then just connect the control box to each seperate track..and just not use the middle power rail at all. ..just lake a normal DC track is ?

Then I would not have to install a thrid rail under the train....... as it would just pick up on each side of the train as the wheels are isolated already . Of course I would install a lokpilot in the old analog train so it can work with the Marklin control box.

I would make 2 new sets of connectors to the track. One where the two tracks are connected as normal, and use the middle power rail for Marklin trains, and then a connecter that isolates the 2 tracks, and does not use the middle power track for my modded old trains. Then I could just switch between connectors if I wanted to use the 3 rail trains sets, and back to the other connector if I wanted to use the old 2 rail system again. Would have to lift off the marklin trains from the set so they do not short the track when the old trains are in use....

Will this work ?
Too crazy of an idea ?

Maybe someone else has done the same ?

Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2020 01:15:05(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes, so long as the track you are using does not make electrical contact between the two rails.

The 29000 digital starter set provides C-Track - I don't have any experience with C-Track but I think the rails are isolated or can be isolated from each other by cutting connections underneath. Check that turnouts don't join the two rails electrically.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2020 03:30:54(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you have K Track, it is possible to separate the left and right rails electrically. The problem is that switch tracks, crossings and other sections are not isolated, so those tracks may be more complicated to use than regular track sections.

If you intend to have the DC trains on the track at the same time as the AC ones, the problem would be that the non-insulated axles on the AC ones would cause a short between the + and - rails of the DC.

It might be easier to have a mainline layout using 3 Rail AC and have a separate track representing a regional or local line that would be separate from the rest of the layout, but would converge at the station. This could easily be done by using Maerklin C Track for the AC and Trix C Track for the DC segment.

If the DC locomotives are electric (pantograph), the other possibility would be to power the DC locomotives from the catenary. This was, the + is on the catenary and the - is the tracks and this would not cause any shorts unless any of the AC units was set for catenary function and would create a bridge between the AC and DC equipment.

I hope that this is of use to you.

Regards

Mike C
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2020 08:04:00(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
Will this work ?
Too crazy of an idea ?

Yes.
Yes.
Lots of people. -But I bet that most of them are regretting it now, and/or has given up by now.

Technically, almost anything can be done.
The question is, is it worth it? -Is it worth it for YOU? -Are you able to do the modifications yourself?

I would just convert the locos to 3-rail.
Converting the rest of the rolling stock is trivial anyway.

Systematically neutering ALL of your C-track is not a good idea (IMHO), as you loose the possibility to use the "free" train-detections, by having 1 of the 2 tracks isolated, if you insist on them working as 2-rail tracks too.
3-rail and 2-rail will not be able to operate at the same time. (Unless you do as Mike C suggests, which is probably the only way 2- and 3-rail can co-exist, but requiere a working catenary, but that is another can of worms altogether)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2020 09:33:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: SJN Go to Quoted Post

Whatever for?

Yes, someone else has done this. They are called Trix (a Marklin company), who produce a 2 rail version of C track. Why ever would you butcher Marklin C track to do what Trix have already done!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline SJN  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2020 13:50:44(UTC)
SJN

Denmark   
Thanks for all the answers guys.

Just got the Marklin digital train set today BigGrin

I did not realize that all the C tracks have the bridge connection between the 2 outer rails......I only thought there would be a single special pickup section where you connect the controller and it would only be bridged there BigGrin

Will be messing around with what I have at the moment. Bought 2 Roco trains with loksound and lokpilot decoders in them some years ago just for decoration.......but now I want to see if they even work BigGrin

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline SJN  
#7 Posted : 28 October 2020 14:50:24(UTC)
SJN

Denmark   
Nice, it works great :-)

And the sound is very nice too. Sounds better in real life than the video BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SJN
Offline SJN  
#8 Posted : 28 October 2020 15:06:35(UTC)
SJN

Denmark   
This one only has the Lokpilot module....so no sound. I see an upgrade in the future :-)