Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2020 02:44:03(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Albani DSB freight cars

This is a review of Albani freight cars as running on the Danish railway system.
One is for era III, and three are for era IV.
In all this time (50 years) the company logo remained unchanged.
Quote from Wikipedia:
Albani Bryggerierne A/S (Eng.: Albani Breweries) is a brewery located in Odense, Denmark, and the vast majority of its customers live on the island of Funen. The brewery was founded by MPharm Theodor Schiøtz in 1859. In 2000, the brewery merged with Bryggerigruppen with the Brewery group (now known as Royal Unibrew), a group of Danish regional breweries.

The era III type car was made by Long of Denmark in the late 1950s and 1960s with catalogue #123. I believe they were made to a specification compatible with the Märklin system, tracks and couplings.
It is very well made with a cast underframe, plastic body, and metal railings and the running number is #Za 89 692. The imprinting on the sides of the car was processed almost simultaneously using a paint and a slight heating imprint of the surface. This process was also used by Triang in the UK.

UserPostedImage
The car is a good representation of some types which ran on Danish rails, though Albani seemed to have used only ZB type cars.
I run the Long car in my era III DSB goods train hauled by either N209 (37818) or T299 (37037). The Long rolling stock is not easy to obtain, so I only have a couple of passenger cars and this one freight car in the brand.
Details of the original can be viewed at Albani Z type car

<<<<>>>>

The first era IV car which probably ran further afield than Denmark, is the Hbis type made by Fleischmann under catalogue #5335K, the K indicating that it has kinematic couplings and the NEM362 coupler box for coupler exchange if required.
This car has the running number 225 0 564-6.
The car is of the sliding wall type which is utilized for efficient loading of pallets and stacked goods.

UserPostedImage
The most noticeable feature of this model is the walls do actually slide, as you can see in the picture. To slide the left hand door, the right hand door is depressed to allow the left to slide in front. Very clever. A flexible plastic extrusion clipped under the inside roof facilitates this movement. A couple of the door closure fittings are not modelled, because these would impede the operation.

<<<<>>>>

The next era IV Hbis car is one of a set of two made by Märklin with catalogue #48370. These have kinematic couplers and pockets. The car running numbers are:
#225 0 564-6 (same as Fleischmann 5335K)
#225 0 562-0
The doors do not slide. The roof colouring is grey, whereas the Fleischmann is brown. The red coloured band for the logo is darker than on the Fleischmann, but the underframe and other fixtures/fittings modelling appears the same.

UserPostedImage
Both Fleischmann and Märklin cars have a 91mm wheelbase, which agrees with the 8.0 metre wheelbase on the original.
I occasionally include the era IV cars in my era VI trains. I made the assumption they may have still been in use at that time.

Photos of the real cars can be viewed at HBIS on DSB

Kimball

Edited by user 25 October 2020 06:27:02(UTC)  | Reason: added external links and information

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow