Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2020 13:39:50(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
A couple or more years back I got fed up with our two cats destroying very expensive signals. They are generally incredibly good with Marklin matters – I watch from afar as they carefully negotiate a siding full of trains and sit quietly in corner of the layout as the trains pass by but signals – they flip them with their tails, nibble the signal heads. So, my solution was hobby signals and a M84 (60841) decoder. The “breakages” still occur but incredibly 74391 signals can be had from Amazon prime at half price and free next day delivery even for one! In addition, I still have problems with the unique connector with wires coming out and no apparent means of repair. Now I have another problem with my 60841. On one of the outputs the connected hobby signal will flicker, the green is not as bright as it should be, but it will work after a fashion. Swapping signals around indicate it is definitely the output of the M84 rather than the signal so I would maybe need a new M84 which are not cheap. So anyone have similar experience/ solution? Is there a way to connect a hobby signal through the screw terminals of the M84.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2020 17:19:44(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Now I have another problem with my 60841. On one of the outputsthe connected hobby signal will flicker, the green is not as bright as it should be, but it will work after a fashion. Swapping signals around indicate it is definitely the output of the M84 rather than the signal so I would maybe need a new M84 which are not cheap. So anyone have similar experience/ solution? Is there a way to connect a hobby signal through the screw terminals of the M84.

Hi Rwill
I believe this has to do with the resistor in series to drive the hobby signal. It may be burnt by previous operation. You may repair it (if out of warranty, if you have an electronic soldering iron and the skills and spare resistors). You probably need to open the casing and be very careful during this "surgery". Alternatively, swap this M84 output for non-hobby signal operations with another output.
Don't plug the signal connectors while there is power
In fact the M84 has 2 outputs: one for the track (paralleled with screw terminals and w/o voltage) and one for the signal with DC power and a resistor in series to drive the signal leds
So yes you may drive the signal with the screew terminal BUT
- you must provide a DC power
- you must insert a resistor in series

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB