Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ancientone99  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2020 19:23:39(UTC)
ancientone99

United States   
I've been buying vintage HO Marklin, 50's or earlier, and have a few questions on starting.

Should I look for new track or is the vintage ok?
What is needed to convert to 110AC?
What is a good resource for items needed to start up?

Thanks for your help,
Charlie
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ancientone99
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2020 20:31:32(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Welcome to the forum Charlie, Lexington eh? Home of the IBM Selectric Typewriter, another of my interests. ThumpUp

There's nothing wrong with the vintage track and many would say if you're specifically acquiring Locos and rolling stock from that period then you should extend that also to the track, and accessories.

You have then the choice of specifically what style of track?

The 50's saw the highest amount of track design changes.

1: Introduction of stud contacts to replace the continuous centre rail

2: Hollow rails made from rolled tin to replace the earlier solid brass rails

3: The desirable 'Modellers' track was introduced, plastic sleepers, more accurate profile, two further radii, (38xx, 39xx)

4: Catalogue Numbering system changed from 1957 (same physical track but new catalogue codes). Track codes are printed on the bottom edge of the track base, near the joiners.

Prior to the 50's, you will come across track with wider spacing between the sleepers, quite a wide variation in the colour appearance also.

All of this track can be mixed, but generally you should not mix them willy-nilly. Try to maintain continuous sections of the same track to look more visually appealing (personal taste of course).

But you can just as easily use more modern C-track (and even K track) if you prefer, and C-track is very easy to work with but be aware when buying Loco's that very early models may have the older 'spoon' type centre pickups rather than the longer 'ski' style. The spoon collectors can ONLY be used with continuous third rail, not with the stud type. But ski collectors will work with all types of track.

Very early turnouts were single action, meaning one solenoid to toggle the track direction. Double solenoids mean a seperate control wire each for straight and branch.

Conversion to 110AC should not be an issue. That is totally down to the choice of Transfomer/s, but this is one area where many will advise you should get controllers from no earlier than the 70's, and more specifically those with plastic cases, not metal. This is because of a potentially dangerous situation with perished mains-flex. Older Transfomers can be made safe of course, but only by a qualified electrician or appliance technician.

Early plastic cases are Blue, White cases were introduced in the 1980's

As for sources of items, well some trading does go on right here. Next is the obvious eBay, Craigslist etc, there are a couple (or more) of Märklin trading groups on Facebook.

Personally, I love the older stuff, as do many others here so there is no shortage of support and inspiration.

This should be a starting point to help you along. Some photos of what you already have would be great

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline ancientone99  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2020 23:05:30(UTC)
ancientone99

United States   
Thank you Cookee! That was just what I needed. I purchased some M track to go with the 3000 ver.2 locomotive and was curious as to the difference in electronics with respect to analog and digital.

Sold some nice ones a few years ago and regretted ever since. Here's what I have now.

20201018_160246.jpg20201018_161934.jpg20201018_160815.jpg20201018_161133.jpge.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ancientone99
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2020 23:54:04(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Hi Charlie,

For analog operation, I recommend the newer "white box" transformers, #6646. You can find them reasonably priced through a number of Maerklin dealers. I have several and they provide the right amount of power for all my vintage locomotives. As for track, I'm an old-school M Track fan: there's a certain sound created by the hollow rails on the sheet metal roadbed to accompany the smell of ozone from those open frame motors that really takes me back :)

You have some very nice pieces and no doubt more will follow soon... enjoy the journey!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline marklin81  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2020 18:22:17(UTC)
marklin81

United States   
Charlie,

As stated above, a 6646 transformer will suit your needs for starting out. M track and the analog 3000 locomotives you already have are a great start.

This handbook from 1955 is worth reading through: handbook.pdf (17,502kb) downloaded 23 time(s). Aside from the older transformers (and why to avoid them as mentioned above), the basics remain the same. The set-up and wiring of a basic layout are found in the middle section of the handbook.

How to start? Get enough track to create an oval that includes one of the feeder tracks, connect to a Marklin transformer, and go from there. The motor brushes, pickup shoe, and traction tires are readily available for those two locomotives.

Keep us posted on your progress. This is a good place to ask questions!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklin81
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2020 19:16:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ancientone99 Go to Quoted Post
What is needed to convert to 110AC?
Why convert to 110 V AC? Convert to 120 V AC to be on the safe side (e.g. Märklin 6646). Avoid transformers made for 110 V AC.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0