Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2020 10:58:45(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Hi,

On several locos I have had open, it looked like the head lights were just wired up to the LokPilot/Sound, no capacitors that I could see.
So I have tried to wire an LED strip in a coach to the headlight wire from a LokPilot but the light just isn't stable. I had a 1.5kΩ resister on the strip, which made it briefly dim or pulsate every 2 seconds. I when through the settings for LED head lights in the manual, and turned off the dimmer as well, but it didn't help. I then changed the resister to 3.3kΩ but that just changed it to more of a constant flicker.

How do the locos I have make this work? Have I missed a setting? Or do I really need to add a capacitor? Does quite seem like that is the issue. Haven't found any Google results quite describe the same issue that I am seeing.

Henrik
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2020 11:32:43(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
So I have tried to wire an LED strip in a coach to the headlight wire from a LokPilot but the light just isn't stable.
What do you use as the return contact? Track rails?
Lights flicker when they are connected between decoder and track. Lights do not flicker if you take both poles from the decoder - that's how LED lights in locos work without capacitor.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline morsing  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2020 12:05:02(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
So I have tried to wire an LED strip in a coach to the headlight wire from a LokPilot but the light just isn't stable.
What do you use as the return contact? Track rails?
Lights flicker when they are connected between decoder and track. Lights do not flicker if you take both poles from the decoder - that's how LED lights in locos work without capacitor.

As I need this to light multiple coaches and the current conduction couplers are single pole, I used the head light wire with the common ground.

It's just odd, it doesn't quite flicker like it does when you put it straight on track power. Do I just need to add a small capacitor?

Henrik
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail