Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dave Banks  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2020 07:43:54(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before but after a long stay in the box I got my Elizabeth out & ran it & it started slipping on the hills. Fitted new traction tyres & put it back on the track only to find two small magnets stuck to the tracks on take off. The carriages tried to jump this obstacle with the obvious derailment. I cannot find the blow up diagram of this loco but I am assuming these two magnet are for traction. Are these meant to be suck in position by some form of adhesive? The are incredibly strong & would probably need Araldite to keep it stuck there?

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]
D.A.Banks
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2020 08:25:43(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Yes, they are intended to improve traction and are also used in the Amtrak "Ice-Train" from Marklin: http://www.web-hgh.de/in..._maedig_6090_so-3770.htm
Offline Dave Banks  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2020 08:58:20(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Stefan, thanks for that info. What would be the best adhesive to use to get it to hold given the strength the magnet has & proximity it has to the rails?
D.A.Banks
Offline Unholz  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2020 12:03:36(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Dave, before doing anything almost irreversible like using Araldite or something similar, I would try thick double-sided (carpet) tape. But it would be interesting to know what Märklin originally used. Apparently, it wasn't something all too strong, otherwise you wouldn't have found the magnets loose under the train. Are there any traces of glue either on the bogie/truck or on one of the magnets?
Offline Dave Banks  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2020 23:29:24(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Stefan I believe over time oil has seeped into that plastic area where the magnets were once glued. I gave it a clean up yesterday & evidently what was holding it in place must have dislodged both magnets. If there was any evidence of some glue it is not there any more. At one point I was wondering if I had lost a cover that secured them but your link confirmed it is how it is meant to be. So its down to super glue or araldite to hold them in position forever & an adhesive that won't break down if it comes into contact with oil. Its a great idea of Marklin to install the magnets as that locomotive is designed to haul a consist of eight with only one motor. It a pity they did not make some form of a "clip in" system to secure the magnets. I wonder how many other owners have come across this issue or found a magnet or two clinging on to the rails with no clue as to where they came from Confused
D.A.Banks
Offline Maurice  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2020 05:13:10(UTC)
Maurice

New Zealand   
Hello all.
Are the magnets available as a spare part?
Maybe being too optimistic in asking this question.
Regards, Maurice.
Offline Dave Banks  
#7 Posted : 06 December 2020 00:59:34(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Maurice I cannot even find the exploded parts diagram online anymore. If you have owned this loco all along the magnets are still with you stuck to something somewhere in the track department. Your just going to have to cut a fridge magnet if its possible down to size & super glue it in place. I have no other ideas that come to mind at this stage. But go looking around the layout first. They are very strong magnets BigGrin .

D.A.Banks
Offline Maurice  
#8 Posted : 06 December 2020 02:13:46(UTC)
Maurice

New Zealand   
Thanks Dave,
I suspect magnets may have been lost long ago. Traction is ok on a small train with a couple of carriages.
Might try your magnet idea with double sided tape as an experiment.
Maurice
Offline Drongo  
#9 Posted : 06 December 2020 05:26:05(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Dave,

Many years ago, when I was a boy in the 60's, I had a Triang train set and the locos were fitted with magnet wheels. This gave the locos fantastic track traction and the locos pull extremely long trains or go up hills easily. I don't know why the idea stopped - perhaps someone on the forum could enlighten us, please.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo