Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahner  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2020 04:23:06(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
First Archistories kit that I've built, namely the 'Wassermuehle im Bieberbachtal' (# 706160) and here is the finished product:

Wassermuhle (Archistories Original Color)_070420.jpg

Not the easiest kit to build due to quite a few really small pieces (expected with Z scale), but certainly the most precise laser cut kit that I've worked on so far and everything fit without any fuss. The only difficulty I encountered was fitting the 'Fachwerk' (timber framing). The material used is cardboard, so it tends to get soggy and lose it's shape when glue is applied (I ended up lightly coating the structure's white under surface in white glue first and then applying the 'timber'). Using real laser cut wood would eliminate this issue.

Amazingly, this little thing is motorized and two capacitors (which need to be connected in series) are provided to produce a realistic RPM:

Archistories Wassermuhle Motor Installation_070420.jpg

I hooked up two AAA batteries in series (3v, 1 A) as a test and the wheel turns just fine. Note that 3 V DC is the proper rating and this model should not run off of a Marklin controller's 10 V AC 'accessories' power supply!. I may try to use two AAA batteries safely integrated into the layout. If that doesn't work out, a 3 V DC Wallwart should do the trick.

One thing I prefer on a layout is the 'old and weathered look'. A watermill generally takes quite a beating over the years (especially with the wheel being constantly immersed in water), so I aged this one a bit with some acrylic paint:

Archistories Wassermuhle Aged 2_070420.jpg

All in all, 9 out of 10 for this little guy BigGrin

Ralph.

Edited by user 09 July 2020 07:30:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bahner